Cleaning the bloat from Windows 10

lol i messed so much with my 10 install that i dont even know what 10 was supposed to look anymore

now i will try a different approach, i'll do a new (clean) install, remove onedrive and the default metro "crapps" along with the store after i fiddle in it for something interesting (three years on win8 and i never used that store lol), disable p2p stuff and other annoyances and etc and then use it for a few days as default, even giving our sister-bro cortana a chance (yes yes shes a spy but so was snowden and hes a good guy :p)

1.7 & undo:

http://pastebin.com/vWsXKJAR
http://pastebin.com/xaa3MVmV

v1.7 Changelog:
Disable Windows Search *UPDATED*
Disable Windows Defender *UPDATED*
Disable OneDrive *UPDATED*
Indication for NTFS files *FIXED*
Hide Searchbar *FIXED*
Added option to disable hibernation
Added option to disable automatic Windows Updates
Added option to disable Windows Error Reporting

Notes:
Run the .cmd as administrator
To block the telemetry servers via hosts file, you should temporarily disable your AV/Firewall
Some changes might need a restart
There is no proper way to reinstall default apps. You'll have to create a new user profile to undo this.

Thanks once again, updated, cleaned up and added the change log to the first post.

I'd really like to nuke IE11 completely. I'm guessing the only "real" way to do that is through something like nLite.

Once in a blue moon I'll access a website that has something, typically a form, that does not load (or will not submit) in Chrome but does in IE. Usually happens with something important, like snagging a event ticket before they sell out or registering for an Alpha test.

What about removing the additional partitions created during installation, is that still possible?

Never needed a recovery / system reserved partition and always did the trick with the windows 7 installer to have it just create 1 partition by letting it create the multiple partitions, deleting them all and then installing it to the now one partition.

Once in a blue moon I'll access a website that has something, typically a form, that does not load (or will not submit) in Chrome but does in IE. Usually happens with something important, like snagging a event ticket before they sell out or registering for an Alpha test.

Chrome has become an unstable turd. I stoped using it in favor of firefox. It's bloaty but at least it works (and supports noscript/adblock).

What about removing the additional partitions created during installation, is that still possible?

Never needed a recovery / system reserved partition and always did the trick with the windows 7 installer to have it just create 1 partition by letting it create the multiple partitions, deleting them all and then installing it to the now one partition.

It is certainly still possible to delete the Recovery partition in W10--did it the other night messing around with Diskpart. Am told I don't really need it. Been using the tech preview and hope Windows doesn't look for it when they release the next upgrade to the Insiders! Windows can be very testy about finding what it expects to see when the upgrades are rolled out. That would be my only caution about deleting things. The way W10 works now who knows what it will want to see when it updates the next time.

Last edited:

So have you (or anyone else with only one Win 7 partition) done the upgrade install? Did Win 10 preserve just the one partition?

Awesome thread! Just deleted all the Windows Apps and OneDrive, and now Chrome works like it did before. Must have an issue from something I just deleted.

So have you (or anyone else with only one Win 7 partition) done the upgrade install? Did Win 10 preserve just the one partition?

I had a single partition in my box and I still had only that one partition after using both the upgrade and clean install.

I would leave the additional partitions alone if you installed the OS as a UEFI GPT partitioned drive. If you start deleting partitions, you could end up with a system that will no longer boot. However, there are built in ways to delete the recovery partition if you want to without using the disk management console.

Thank you OutlawXGP and all who've contributed for this thread. :) It's all good stuff here.

Sorry for my lack of updates but I recently reformatted and installed a fresh copy of windows 10 OEM for my new system and wanted to share a quick update on a few things I added to the first post.

• It seems like if you do a fresh installation of windows 10 rather than upgrade, Windows Photo Viewer can't be used as default applications to view pictures and you are forced to use the Metro app "Photos". Well this safe and tested registry tweak adds the default file formats to Windows Photo Viewer so it can once again be used as default.

Copy and paste into a notepad and save it as whatevernameyoulike.reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Photo Viewer\Capabilities\FileAssociations]
".bmp"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".dib"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".gif"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jfif"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jpe"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jpeg"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jpg"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jxr"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".png"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"

• For any one that dose a fresh installation of Windows 10, you can use the following commands to remove the useless metro apps as their versions are not the same as windows 10 upgrade.

Note: Run Powershell as administrator, copy and paste all the lines at once and press enter.
Code:
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.BingWeather_4.3.193.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.Windows.Photos_15.618.18170.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.WindowsCamera_5.38.3003.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.XboxApp_5.6.17000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_10.1506.19010.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.SkypeApp_3.2.1.0_x86__kzf8qxf38zg5c
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.ZuneVideo_3.6.10811.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.ZuneMusic_3.6.10841.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder_10.1506.15100.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.WindowsPhone_10.1506.20010.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.WindowsMaps_4.1505.50619.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.People_1.10159.0.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.Office.OneNote_17.4201.10091.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_3.1.6103.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_17.4218.23751.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.BingSports_4.3.193.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.Appconnector_1.3.3.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage Microsoft.3DBuilder_10.0.0.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6002.42251.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

• Another way to safely disable the Windows Defender Background running service:

Copy and paste into a notepad and save it as whatevernameyoulike.reg
Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001
This method is easily reverse able by simply deleting that registry key and setting the service to automatic.

• Added a picture for disabling automatic Windows Driver Updates
  • Added a picture for the services that personally keep disabled.

Even thought I don't use the "Cortana" part of the new search bar Microsoft added "searchui.exe" I do keep it enabled as its very light and functional for quick local searches, however Windows Biometric Service must be kept to manual and Windows Search indexing must be running as automatic in order for local search part of cortana aka "searchui.exe to function. Also it seems the classic calculator "calc.exe" was removed from system32 folder and replaced with the default metro calculator however I read online that you can simply import the old calculator back into windows 10 from an older version of windows such as Vista/7/8/8.1.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but I forgot to mention this little tip for people with dual monitors that like to set different wallpapers on each. The old menu from windows 8/8.1 were you could select a wallpaper for each individual screen is no longer accessible like before but it can be opened with a simple run command.

To get there, press Windows key + R. In the dialogbox that appears, type "control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper" (Without the quotes) and click OK.

You can save this as a shortcut to access easily later on. Truly Windows 10 feels like its been rushed out with quite alot of things missing or removed for no good reason.

Thank you OutlawXGP and all who've contributed for this thread. :) It's all good stuff here.

Your very welcome mate, this thread is totally for my own benefit also as I gained a lot of good info from it. However my original post is running out of character limits lol.

Last edited:
I just deleted all the metro apps except for the store. I can add them back later if I want to right?

That's like asking "just cured my HIV. I can get it back later right?"

Anyway, some good tips in this thread. KEEP EM COMIN! I'm waiting for an All In One tool that incorporates most of these tweaks and toggles in a GUI so you can just hit em all at once without registry diving.

To be honest on both Upgraded Windows 10 and fresh install from OEM DVD of windows 10 I can't remove all the metro apps such as store, powershell gives an error about it so I am not sure how are some people mange to remove it.

To be honest on both Upgraded Windows 10 and fresh install from OEM DVD of windows 10 I can't remove all the metro apps such as store, powershell gives an error about it so I am not sure how are some people mange to remove it.

you have to run it as Administrator.

Anyway, some good tips in this thread. KEEP EM COMIN! I'm waiting for an All In One tool that incorporates most of these tweaks and toggles in a GUI so you can just hit em all at once without registry diving.

Windows 10 is a security nightmare! I think will definitely have a AIO tool within first few months to use all these tweaks!

I ran the PowerShell command to remove everything but the AppStore and also the script to clear out OneDrive. I appreciate the effort, cleaned things up nicely for me.

Cleaning the bloat from Windows 10

G47uxBU.png

Heres something:

http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy10/

Current Features

Disable Telemetry
Disable Biometrics
Disable Handwriting Data Sharing
Disable Handwriting Error Reporting
Disable Application Telemetry
Disable Inventory Collector
Disable Steps Recorder
Disable enabling Lock Screen Camera
Disable and Reset Cortana
Disable Location
Disable Sensors
Disable Web Search
Disable Windows Media DRM Internet Access
Defer Windows Upgrades
Disable App Notifications
Disable Password Reveal Button
Disable and Reset Advertising ID
Disable SmartScreen Filter for URLs
Disable Sending Writing Info
Disable Access to Language List
Disable App Access to Location Info
Disable App Access to Camera
Disable App Access to Microphone
Disable Getting to know me
Disable App Access to Account Info
Disable App Access to Calendar
Disable App Access to Messages
Disable App Access to Radios
Disable Sync With Devices
Disable Windows Feedback Requestes
Disable Windows Update Sharing
Disable Windows Update for other Products
Disable WiFi Sense
Disable Windows Defender
Disable Automatic Windows Updates
Disable OneDrive
Disable Automatic Driver Update

Heres something:

http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy10/

Current Features

Disable Telemetry
Disable Biometrics
Disable Handwriting Data Sharing
Disable Handwriting Error Reporting
Disable Application Telemetry
Disable Inventory Collector
Disable Steps Recorder
Disable enabling Lock Screen Camera
Disable and Reset Cortana
Disable Location
Disable Sensors
Disable Web Search
Disable Windows Media DRM Internet Access
Defer Windows Upgrades
Disable App Notifications
Disable Password Reveal Button
Disable and Reset Advertising ID
Disable SmartScreen Filter for URLs
Disable Sending Writing Info
Disable Access to Language List
Disable App Access to Location Info
Disable App Access to Camera
Disable App Access to Microphone
Disable Getting to know me
Disable App Access to Account Info
Disable App Access to Calendar
Disable App Access to Messages
Disable App Access to Radios
Disable Sync With Devices
Disable Windows Feedback Requestes
Disable Windows Update Sharing
Disable Windows Update for other Products
Disable WiFi Sense
Disable Windows Defender
Disable Automatic Windows Updates
Disable OneDrive
Disable Automatic Driver Update

This is riddled with scamware. tested it out last night. do not download this shit. PS can we get a damn sticky on this thread please

I'm trying to get rid of Minecraft, Flipboard and iHeart radio on w10x64 home. They aren't listed when running get-appxpackage...
Please help.

I'm trying to get rid of Minecraft, Flipboard and iHeart radio on w10x64 home. They aren't listed when running get-appxpackage...
Please help.

None of those install by default. You should be able to right click on them in All Programs and simply uninstall them.

Settings - System - App and Features. You can remove the non default apps right from there. What I cannot fathom is how no one here other than me has figured that out yet.

Settings - System - App and Features. You can remove the non default apps right from there. What I cannot fathom is how no one here other than me has figured that out yet.

Good point. You can uninstall both store and Win32 apps from there.

None of those install by default. You should be able to right click on them in All Programs and simply uninstall them.

ManofGod said:
Settings - System - App and Features. You can remove the non default apps right from there.

Thanks for the replies.
On the 2 PCs with W10x64 home in my house they came installed by default. When upgrading from (a fresh) W7 I did let the installer find updates.
They are not listed in "Programs and Features" or "Settings - System - App and Features".
ManofGod said:
What I cannot fathom is how no one here other than me has figured that out yet.
I guess some people got tired of M$ moving things around and want to do stuff from powershell.

Windows 10 is a security nightmare! I think will definitely have a AIO tool within first few months to use all these tweaks!
Settings - System - App and Features > Store is grayed out on Pro here.
I have removed it with powershell one test.

Some you can right click on in the Metro panel and choose uninstall there also.

There is a AIO Tool so far free of any ads and works with 8.1 also. He has been steadily improving it.
It is W10Privacy but Website is in German so I use Google Translator
Has German, English, French translations so far.

Able to remove both User and System APPS if you include PsExec.exe in same folder and right click Run as Administrator

And it does everything above.

I have done all with scripts at first but found this sweet thing and never looked back.

Linux, nope can't do. Its ugly and don't run my games WOWs and WOT. I upgraded to 10 because my ping dropped like half 75 > 35 and FPS went up.

EDIT: Not for the faint of heart. Everything in this entire post is a risk so if you understand that and want to try these things. Create a system image first, but you should do that on occasion anyways.
Just we don't want this MS spying junk so we try to curb it.

Last edited:
Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Photo Viewer\Capabilities\FileAssociations]
".bmp"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".dib"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".gif"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jfif"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jpe"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jpeg"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jpg"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jxr"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".png"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
That didn't work for me on Pro here even with reboot but this below did instantly. I know instant cause HKCU can be but HKLM needs reboot
And since it adds the dll calls you don't have to select the photo viewer

Open admin cmd prompt and paste this
Code:
Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.jpg" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.jpeg" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.gif" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.png" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.bmp" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.tiff" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.ico" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCR\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open" /v "MuiVerb" /t REG_SZ /d "@photoviewer.dll,-3043" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCR\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" /ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%%SystemRoot%%\System32\rundll32.exe \"%%ProgramFiles%%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll\", ImageView_Fullscreen %%1" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCR\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" /v "Clsid" /t REG_SZ /d "{FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCR\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" /ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%%SystemRoot%%\System32\rundll32.exe \"%%ProgramFiles%%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll\", ImageView_Fullscreen %%1" /f 
Reg.exe add "HKCR\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" /v "Clsid" /t REG_SZ /d "{60fd46de-f830-4894-a628-6fa81bc0190d}" /f

Last edited:
At the risk of posting something from another forum, I've been going through some Tron scripts and found them to be quite useful.

Does the OP in this thread have everything? Has all the bloat been removed? I dont suppose there a way to make an install ISO without the bloat and just install that from scratch? I just wanna be bloat free from a clean install or will that break windows?

At the risk of posting something from another forum, I've been going through some Tron scripts and found them to be quite useful.

Very impressive. I'm traveling right now but when I get home, I'm going to try this script first on my "Win 7 test partition" and then on my "production" partition on each system.

Back