"Cleanest" version of W10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you would have read correctly you'd realize that the man was already then over 70 years old. He's just using Windows and Office just like most users do. Or was using. And you can't compare corporate locked down Windows with a home user... Most corporate users I know absolutely hate their work laptops because they can't do much anything with them.
You'd be surprised how little a PC can be locked down in a corporate environment when IT doesn't want to deal with it or spend the money.

All this talk about "plebes" and so on is just so arrogant. It's like saying that you need to be able to do your own car repairs, or else you should always take uber or the bus. Or unless you can replace the water pump in your dishwasher, you should wash dishes by hand. Why should PCs be any different than cars or dishwashers? For most people, they take their car to the garage for service or call a repair person to fix their dishwasher, and no one disdains them for that. So why disdain or be contemptuous about people who can't install software, etc.

I don't mean it in a nasty way, the fact is there are more users out there ignorant to computing than users out there that know what they're doing. As an ex mechanic, we also used to call the unknowledgable masses plebs. They were usually the ones that used to try and tell us what to do as they read something on the internet. ;)

[EDIT] I also fix my own appliances.

Plebs drive a four banger Toyota. It's cheap, reliable and will take you from place a to place B. Then again enthusiasts drive Ferraris with V12s. Yeah, they break and cost like nightmare to buy and maintain. Hell, I cant afford one. But I would NEVER drive a Toyota again if I can help it.

If you're equating driving a Ferrari with being an automobile enthusiast I would ask how many Ferrari owners do you know who fix their own cars? Other than noting that this is further proof that car analogies suck I think people are making a mistake in assuming that being a computer enthusiast means being an operating system designer, or UI designer, or a programmer, etc.

Again, further noting how far afield all of this is to the original topic.

If you're equating driving a Ferrari with being an automobile enthusiast I would ask how many Ferrari owners do you know who fix their own cars? Other than noting that this is further proof that car analogies suck I think people are making a mistake in assuming that being a computer enthusiast means being an operating system designer, or UI designer, or a programmer, etc.

If they're an enthusiast, plenty of Ferrari owners fix their own cars as opposed to spending tens of thousands of dollars getting work done. I watch video's on F40LM's getting work done by their owners all the time.

It's the posers that can't look after their own Ferrari.

Windows 10 Workstation edition is probably the cleanest version of windows 10. But I see this thread is primarily windows v linux at this point lol.

Windows 10 Workstation edition is probably the cleanest version of windows 10. But I see this thread is primarily windows v linux at this point lol.

Last I checked it was also really bloody expensive and like LTSB isn't really designed for 'gamers'.

You miss the point entirely. The point is you don't want to drive what everyone else on the planet drives. Toyota is a bad example because it's actually like linux, reliable, safe and cheap so in that sense a bad analogy.

With Windows you get the worst of almost all worlds. Expense, unstability, loads and loads of threats online and literally millions of cyner criminals targeting you and the manufacturer itself stomping on the users.

You miss the point entirely. The point is you don't want to drive what everyone else on the planet drives. Toyota is a bad example because it's actually like linux, reliable, safe and cheap so in that sense a bad analogy.

With Windows you get the worst of almost all worlds. Expense, unstability, loads and loads of threats online and literally millions of cyner criminals targeting you and the manufacturer itself stomping on the users.

So Windows would be more akin to an Alfa Romeo?

You seem to think that I have something against Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth though I would prefer to work with FreeBSD or macOS over Linux or Windows. Realistically, once I launch the programs I want to work with I care very little about the underlying OS unless it intrudes or impedes what I want to do.

I don’t believe that there is a perfect operating system which is why I don’t particularly care to evangelize any particular one.

You seem to think that I have something against Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth though I would prefer to work with FreeBSD or macOS over Linux or Windows. Realistically, once I launch the programs I want to work with I care very little about the underlying OS unless it intrudes or impedes what I want to do.

I don’t believe that there is a perfect operating system which is why I don’t particularly care to evangelize any particular one.

I know personally I'm just being a little light hearted. Use whatever you want to use.

I don't believe there's a perfect OS either but diversity is the key to a healthy ecosystem and the market share of Windows is really unhealthy. It makes Microsoft confident enough to think it can treat its customers as it pleases. And the worst thing is that there are millions of people who truly think there is no alternative for Windows and MS Office. They need to be educated.

Yes and I also don't understand people who use Android due to Googles flawed security model.
As a computer security guy IRL, I can say that most people have no real idea about computer security, other than, "there are some hackers out there," or "somebody stole my credit card number." Hackers and scammers continue to prosper.

Last I checked it was also really bloody expensive and like LTSB isn't really designed for 'gamers'.

but you need newer the newer version for Ryzen 3000 and RTX cards. they do make a 2019 LTSC and you can get a key for any version you want off ebay for like $4-5.

but to answer OP's question
Personally i use the regular Win10 Enterprise because it gives a lot more flexibility when it comes to updates and stuff and doesn't come with all that extra bloat like candy crush and minecraft BS. It also keeps you on the more stable builds (current branch for business) and you can defer upgrades for up to 365 days. I would have used the one from that vid but i just did a new build w/ Ryzen 3800x so... also **PRO TIP** I just had to put win10 on my moms computer and she was running 32bit win7 and I actually had to use a win7 install disc and delete the windows partition because for some reason it was only giving me the option to install 32bit win10 and i was trying to do a clean install. weird, i know, but after i did that i had no problems installing win10 64bit.

TLDR: I reccomend Enterprise edition and getting the key from Ebay. PM me if you want a link to the seller i use. This was 2nd key i got from him.

Last edited:

but you need newer the newer version for Ryzen 3000 and RTX cards. they do make a 2019 LTSC and you can get a key for any version you want off ebay for like $4-5.

but to answer OP's question
Personally i use the regular Win10 Enterprise because it gives a lot more flexibility when it comes to updates and stuff and doesn't come with all that extra bloat like candy crush and minecraft BS. It also keeps you on the more stable builds (current branch for business) and you can defer upgrades for up to 365 days. I would have used the one from that vid but i just did a new build w/ Ryzen 3800x so... also **PRO TIP** I just had to put win10 on my moms computer and she was running 32bit win7 and I actually had to use a win7 install disc and delete the windows partition because for some reason it was only giving me the option to install 32bit win10 and i was trying to do a clean install. weird, i know, but after i did that i had no problems installing win10 64bit.

TLDR: I reccomend Enterprise edition and getting the key from Ebay. PM me if you want a link to the seller i use. This was 2nd key i got from him.

Which is against the EULA and illegal. Activation does not make the purchase legal and using a Windows release that's stuck in time does result in issues - LTSB was not intended for consumer grade desktop use.

using a Windows release that's stuck in time does result in issues - LTSB was not intended for consumer grade desktop use.

issues? security updates for 10 years and if you want to run Ryzen 3000 or RTX just get the 2019 version or go w/ Vanilla Enterprise edition (believe 2020 LTSC coming in February)

not intended for desktop use? so desktops in a business environment aren't considered desktop use?

do you work for candy crush or something? why all the hate? some people just don't want all the extra bloatware bundled w/ their OS installation. I believe that was what the OP @jiminator was looking for. The cleanest version of Win10 and these are it. bye now.

issues? security updates for 10 years and if you want to run Ryzen 3000 or RTX just get the 2019 version or go w/ Vanilla Enterprise edition (believe 2020 LTSC coming in February)

not intended for desktop use? so desktops in a business environment aren't considered desktop use?

do you work for candy crush or something? why all the hate? some people just don't want all the extra bloatware bundled w/ their OS installation. I believe that was what the OP @jiminator was looking for. The cleanest version of Win10 and these are it. bye now.

Quite often software does not run on old versions of Windows 10, games and associated anticheat is renowned for this. LTSB is not intended for consumer desktop usage.

Sorry you think otherwise, but that's the facts. Notice my referral to 'consumer' desktop usage.

LTSB is intended for industrial machines or ATM's, it's not really intended for desktop usage at all.

Last edited:

LOL! :) It's like there is a Linux agenda or something, I don't know. ;)

Its not intended for business computers at all. It’s meant for industrial appliances, kiosks, point of sale systems, and single use machines. It’s also the reason why it’s not a retail SKU.

Those looking at LTSC (LTSB stopped in 2016) should be looking at Pro or Enterprise and running the Decrapifyer script.

If you're a bit cautious as I was, you can just toss a freshly downloaded ISO into a VM and run through the script that way to see what works best for you.

Since running it on a Pro install for my living room machine in my signature with the defaults that keep the Windows Store, I've installed the Xbox stuff to take advantage of the PC subscription, and that's it.

All the stuff I don't want that has been listed ad nauseum in this thread is gone and I'm left with a clean, functional desktop to start with. The system remains snappy and despite running updates as available, crapware has not been installed.

Those looking at LTSC (LTSB stopped in 2016) should be looking at Pro or Enterprise and running the Decrapifyer script.

If you're a bit cautious as I was, you can just toss a freshly downloaded ISO into a VM and run through the script that way to see what works best for you.

Since running it on a Pro install for my living room machine in my signature with the defaults that keep the Windows Store, I've installed the Xbox stuff to take advantage of the PC subscription, and that's it.

All the stuff I don't want that has been listed ad nauseum in this thread is gone and I'm left with a clean, functional desktop to start with. The system remains snappy and despite running updates as available, crapware has not been installed.

Long Term Servicing Branch vs Long Term Servicing Channel...Why?!

That has to be a marketing department decision.

look people if you want to listen to these sissy's and are afraid to run LTSC then just go w/ regular Enterprise. that is the next best version. pro = home+

The Long Term Servicing Channel is not intended for deployment on most or all the PCs in an organization. The LTSC edition of Windows 10 provides customers with access to a deployment option for their special-purpose devices and environments. These devices typically perform a single important task and don’t need feature updates as frequently as other devices in the organization. These devices are also typically not heavily dependent on support from external apps and tools. Since the feature set for LTSC does not change for the lifetime of the release, over time there might be some external tools that do not continue to provide legacy support.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/ltsc/

Nobody here is scared of running LTSC. I use it at work for a few dozen machines we have in our plants and breweries. I've used it on my home desktop and media server for a while too.

But go ahead and just keep calling people names. That goes a long way to support your side of an argument.

look people if you want to listen to these sissy's and are afraid to run LTSC then just go w/ regular Enterprise. that is the next best version. pro = home+

Discuss the topic, don't attack the person making the post. Such an attitude indicates a back against the wall inability to come up with a decent rebuttal.

It's not my fault LTSC isn't intended for consumer grade desktop use.

Holy fuck the derail in this thread because someone said something bad about their favourite flavour of computing. The LZDF (Linux Zealot Defense Force) is out in full force here.

Just as much as I hate people spouting off about religion, I hate people spouting off about what OS I should be using, or what "productive" things I should be doing....

Some of you really need to stop coming into every thread going "LOL Install Linux". It's not useful and it derails the conversation. There's a forum for Linux stuff, post there, otherwise you're just looking to start juvenile arguments that amount to "my daddy is stronger than your daddy".

Use whatever OS you want, no one gives a shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back