Clean Windows install: free space?

PureQuaternion

Weaksauce
So I just installed a copy of Win7Pro x64, cleanly, onto a 120GB SSD. After that, some of the updates, and drivers, it's sitting at 40ish GB free.

Any idea what's taking up so damned much space? It's as if it didn't delete temporary installer files or some such.

Thanks.

Page file, hibernation file and system restore are the first things i would check.

Additionally, C:\Windows\System32\WinSxS will always take up a lot of space. You wouldn't be able to delete anything within it though. There is a method to use junction points to move it elsewhere but your SSD has a good amount of space to handle it.

Additionally, C:\Windows\System32\WinSxS will always take up a lot of space. You wouldn't be able to delete anything within it though. There is a method to use junction points to move it elsewhere but your SSD has a good amount of space to handle it.
OP, don't listen to this advice. That folder should never be touched.

Follow my guide to clear up a shit ton of space on your SSD (or HDD). You may have to look up exact details on some things if you don't know how to find the setting.

1 - Open Disk Cleanup and run a cleanup - Clean system files, which will give you the option to remove Service Pack Backup Files (which happens to lower WinSXS folder size by 4GB). Check all boxes, including SP Files, then clean.
2 - Disable or reduce System restore to 1GB in size by using the slider.
3 - Disable Hibernation, unless you really want it. Open an elevated CMD prompt and type in powercfg -h off
4 - Configure Page File to be Min/Max. Open the Virtual Memory Window and uncheck 'automatically manage'. Under custom size, leave the maximum size in place, but set the minimal to 400MB, then press Set and OK. Reboot the computer. I do not recommend this setting for HDD, instead us a static min/max (ie Min 1024MB- Max 1024MB).
5 - Navigate to c:\windows\softwaredistribution\downloads, then delete the contents but not the folder itself.
6 - Set all web browsers temporary files to 50MB. IE 9 is 250MB default, Firefox is 1024MB default ... not sure of the others.
7 - Finally run a CCLeaner. Go to Advanced options and uncheck the box to only delete temp files older than 24 hours.

Now check your storage usage. You've also not compromised your OS integrity, performance, or reliability by making any of these adjustments.

OP, don't listen to this advice. That folder should never be touched.

WTF? I never recommended that it be touched. I was explaining what actually takes up space within Windows. Giving options doesn't mean that they are recommendations.

WTF? I never recommended that it be touched. I was explaining what actually takes up space within Windows. Giving options doesn't mean that they are recommendations.
I stand my by recommendation that the WinSXS folder should never be touched, which includes moving it with junction points as you pointed out.
Comon guys... Shoulda been the first thing suggested.

http://windirstat.info/
Good point. OP, run that program, which scans your drive and shows you with a visual diagram, how large the files are on your PC. The page file, and hiberfil.sys, which I showed you how to adjust, are likely going to be the largest files shown.

Also remember to delete contents from your Downloads folder after you are done with them. Many people I found leave that full of stuff that is unneeded.

Last edited:
I stand my by recommendation that the WinSXS folder should never be touched, which includes moving it with junction points as you pointed out.

I haven't ever touched it myself. I read an article about it & it reminded me of how people use app2sd to junction link ROM folders within Android. Its far safer to do with Android than it is with Windows since its a fair more finicky OS in regards to system folders than others.

I stand corrected for mentioning as a option. I should say its a proof of concept that works but doesn't necessarily bring the benefit that people may require & brings a great amount of headaches.

Thanks guys. The hibernation file and page file were taking up on the order of 50GB combined. That plus some leftover cruft from the patching process brought sizes back down to a reasonable level.

reduce the size of the recycling bin on your ssd. by default it is 10% of your hdd, so 12gb for your 120gb.

Back