clean OS win 10 Install

fightingfi

2[H]4U
When you first install windows do you immediately install the chipset drivers OR do you FULLY update windows first, then the chipset and other drivers etc....?

It really doesn't matter.

If your system is really picky about drivers or you want full control over which drivers get installed then your best bet would be to install Windows 10 without internet and then bring drivers over on a flash drive to install them before connecting to the internet. Otherwise Windows 10 will start installing drivers automatically.

Generally, assuming my NIC driver is installed during the initial setup, I enable any Windows features I need (telnet, .NET, etc) and then run Windows Updates. Once complete, I roll on to my drivers. No real rhyme or reason for that....just seems to work for me.

People still install chipset drivers? Assuming Windows 10 installs my NIC (and it always has), I run Windows update and enjoy my day.

People still install chipset drivers? Assuming Windows 10 installs my NIC (and it always has), I run Windows update and enjoy my day.
(Assuming Intel) The chipset driver has always been a weird thing, as Windows has never come with them, and Windows Update never has them. Even Intel's explanation for what actual chipsets they are for can be kind of obtuse at times. The OEMs always have them as downloads though, if one knows how to get tho those downloads. I don't know if I've ever seen a system not run properly for not having those drivers. I assume it can happen.

If you are using software RAID or something, you may need them. Generally Win 10 doesn't need them, the gnerics are based on WQHL versions of manufacturer submited drivers. On other hardware, Windows will attempt to update them automatically if newer versions are submitted to the WU servers, unless you disable driver updates in GPE.

I don't think there really is a right answer anymore considering Microsoft has done better with drivers, especially since 10 came out.

What I do though is I always use the "F6" drivers for my NVMe and AHCI drivers during the Windows Setup "Load Driver". Then once in Windows I install chip set, USB, sound, network, and graphics drivers. Then I connect to the Internet and activate Windows 10.

Outside of GPU drivers or there being a good reason for me to intervene, I generally just let Windows do its thing.

I have never really had an issue with the tactic, especially since W10. Windows update typically seems to do a good job pulling down everything it needs.

Yes. It's especially important for Ryzen systems to get the AMD Ryzen Power Plans.

ryzenpowerplan.jpg

I always install windows with my ethernet unplugged. I then load all the most recent drivers then unplug it in and run windows update.

What are the differences between AMD high performance and a standard high performance?
Based on what I've read, it can give a 5% to 21% boost in performance. It keeps windows from parking cores and reduces the change in power per core from 30 milliseconds to 1 millisecond. It also comes as part of the chipset drivers so if you don't have it, you're probably not running the latest drivers anyway.

Reference article: https://www.pcworld.com/article/318...indows-promises-to-boost-cpu-performance.html

Whether or not the boost is relevant anymore is a question for debate. But regardless, it comes with the updated drivers.

Is the Ryzen power plan actually still a thing? I thought this was fixed after windows updated it?

Back