Clean Install with Demo Version of Vista?

NoNRG

2[H]4U
Is it possible to do a clean install on a new machine of Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, or do you have to have XP installed to be able to do that? I am expecting my free copy of Windows Vista Ultimate from the Windows Feedback Program in 3-5 weeks, but want to start a build this weekend. Was hoping I could install the demo version while waiting for the free copy to arrive, then just input a Product Key, instead of installing XP this weekend, then reformatting to Vista in 3-5 weeks when my free copy arrives. Thanks for your responses!

You have 30 days to activate Vista so there's no reason to think that it wouldn't work. The key is the important thing and it should work on 32 or 64 bit equally. The dual install workaround convieniently supplied by Microsoft itself works for Ultimate as well.

Thanks for the response. What is the dual install workaround?

Also, I just poked around on the Microsoft website, and could not find anything about downloading Windows Vista Demo version. Does someone have a link to it... :) I assumed I would find a download there, burn it to a CD, then boot from it on the new machine. Is that correct?

As far as I know there is no downloadable demo version. You have to have a disk. All versions of Vista are on the same disk, your key activates the version you purchased or in your case received from MS. The workaround is easily found on the net or in this forum.

So, would I have to somehow acquire a version of Vista from someone and install it, then activate it like I want once I get the copy in the mail?

I just talked with my roommate about this issue, and he suggested I install XP on one of my drives (I have access to a working XP key), then install Vista on my other drive once it comes in the mail. He says I will want to dual boot with Vista and XP when I get Vista running anyways. Does this make more sense than trying to find a copy of Vista?

So, would I have to somehow acquire a version of Vista from someone and install it, then activate it like I want once I get the copy in the mail?

Exactly.

Just install Vista from a retail disc and don't input an installation key. Vista will be installed in 30 day trial mode at that point and when you get your copy in the mail you can input the key and activate your copy online or over the phone. Just remember to choose Windows Vista Ultimate when the installer asks you which edition you want to install, since that's the version you'll be getting in the mail thanks to the Windows Feedback Panel program.

If you don't get your copy of Vista in the mail before your 30 day trial period ends, don't fret - you can extend your Vista trial by using the re-arming procedure detailed here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...sta-without-activation-for-free-for-120-days/

Using the re-arming method above you can extend your Vista trial up to 120 days before you absolutely must activate it. This is fully legal and documented by Microsoft themselves.

Back