Clean install Windows 10 and then using Windows 7/8.1 serial

No need to previously upgrade because if you did you wouldn't even need the product key, just reinstall without putting in a key. If you have not yet installed 10 on your device, you just put the key in when you are doing the installation. I would recommend doing it when you are first prompted, that way you know if it's going to work before going through all the install hassle for nothing.

Keep in mind I haven't use a 7/8 product key in the Creators Update of 10, they may have removed it. I do know it works in the previously released version.

It was working fine prior to the CU, make sure you update your install media for best results.

I don't know if it can, I had 10 Pro activated with a 7 Pro key and I got this from the creators update:

CUgfy.jpg

I just used a previously un used win 7 pro key to activate win 10 CU on my ryzen system. When I say un used i mean for previously activating a win 10 license.

It thinks your previous version wasn't activated properly. Try to remove the key and then re-active with your old windows 7 key using these instructions.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-deactivate-windows-10-and-change-the-product-key/
Yeah, but has anyone had an issue activating a used key, used this procedure, then been able to activate the key on the new system?

I'm not convinced deactivating the system locally gets synced up to Microsoft to free the license.

I don't think you actually need to free the license. It just lets you do it anyway, and once you get the digital license you have it as long as you don't change the hardware.

Just yesterday, I did clean install & activate Win 10 Pro (15.063), with a used (on a same PC) OEM Win7 Pro key, without any problem.

You don’t have to activate Windows 10 with a product key to actually keep using it

During Christmas, I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO (files dated July 2016) and did fresh installs on my college son's gaming rig and another gaming PC at my house. Neither was activated and from what I remember finding out from the web at the time, Win10 never needs to be activated to work, although unactivated systems have a watermark on the lower right corner of the screen (taken care of with a registry tweak), can't use any personalization options like changing the wallpaper, and not being able to use Microsoft account services such as syncing settings between device. I haven't checked the system I have here in a while (will tomorrow) but my college son hasn't complained to me yet about things not working and it has been over 90 days since I did that install. Both computers got Windows updates right after being installed so apparently MS thought things were hunky dory on my end as well.

Yep, that's true. You can use it for free forever, with the nag overlay and default wallpaper. Windows keys are only like twenty bucks on kinguin so it's not a big deal buying it, though.

My totally couple-of-drinks theory is that MS had some written agreement with someone to only offer the free upgrade for a year, but they somehow loopholed it so Win7/8.1 keys still work with Win10 *wink wink* upgrade is only for one year *NUDGE* you wouldn't want to try it after the one year cuz it might do something unexpected! *wink*

Back