Clean install of XP on a tablet?

My friend has a Gateway tablet pc that is in dire need of an os reinstall. I've done some searching and apparently you can't buy a copy of XP tablet edition. The comp didn't come with any recovery media, and it has no recovery partition. Gateway and the Geek Squad want over $200 each to reinstall an os. I have read that a regular copy of XP can be installed on a tablet and will work just fine, but you lose some of the tablet functionality, such as using the "pen" to write on the screen and such. I assume this is just a driver issue, can't you just extract certain drivers and save them to a disk before starting the reinstall?

Is this something I should approach? I'd really like to fix it for her, and save her the money. How would the Geek Squad do it if there are no copies of XP Tablet Edition available?

I guess I could go on a tangent about how much of a flop the Tablets were and wonder why anyone actually bought one....but that isn't going to help your friend.

Gateway isn't offering a Tablet Restore Disc for the cost of shipping, I'm guessing. HP used to do that when I worked for them...but maybe Gateway is different. It seems like you really do have two options. Pay the $200, or install XP and deal without the functionality. I doubt those drivers can be extracted and then installed on a regular XP version...much the same way the MCE remotes only worked on MCE editions...not regular XP.

Back