Classic DOOM with Ray Tracing in New Video

Direct links so you don't need to give WCCF Tech any clicks:

https://github.com/sultim-t/prboom-plus-rt/releases (NVIDIA only at the moment)

This is real ray tracing, not some kind of pixel shader. Unfortunately that means it doesn't work well for the majority of maps due to the low number of local light sources. Most of the lighting in doom is baked into the textures.

This is real ray tracing, not some kind of pixel shader. Unfortunately that means it doesn't work well for the majority of maps due to the low number of local light sources. Most of the lighting in doom is baked into the textures.

That music gives me a chubby.

it's april fools i'm not sure what to think or not ask me tomorrow

Edit: oh no wait it's real, neat :)
Yeah, there were a few attempts at this which crawled out of the woodwork last year to appear on the tech news radar, obviously under development for a while. It does look pretty good.

So back about 15 years ago I got the first iPod "Video" 60GB as a high school graduation present....long story short I can't ever leave any electronic stock so of course I installed a flavor of Linux called "Rockbox" on it so I didn't have to use itunes to put movies, photos, music etc on it. Highly recommended by the way....

anyways I noticed I had full access to the filesystem of this tiny little color screen scroll wheel music device so naturally I did what any young man would do with their first taste of a superior operating system...I found out how to install the full game of Doom on it. (Scroll wheel counter-clockwise to turn left, and clockwise to turn right then play/pause to shoot)

So my question is now....who knows how to breathe a breath of RTX to my iPod gaming machine with a little Ray-tracing upgrade? 😁

I tried the raytraced version - not a fan. I appreciate and enjoy the work done as a graphics wonk, but as far as the actual game, it just doesn't work IMO.

It could if someone went back through all the levels and added appropriate light sourcing for ray tracing vs sector lighting. Ton of work, and I suspect, someone will do it.

Dunno, I kinda feel just enjoy what it was designed to be.

I've been playing around with it. It's rough around the edges in some spots but still very, very cool! Major props to the guy that made it. Would be cool to see it be done with Doom 3 some day.

Reactions: emphy
like this
Tried it out and it really adds to the immersion. Too bad it doesn't work with brutal doom tho.

I like the way it looks. It was fun playing through a few levels. I hope id releases an better updated version of doom similar to quake 1. Didn't care much for the 2020 update.

They showed ray traced Serious Sam The First Encounter on the link page w/FSR,DLSS support. Any idea if this would work with my VR version?

0 bounce light = 0 interest
guess we're still a ways away from RT delivering on that one

0 bounce light = 0 interest
guess we're still a ways away from RT delivering on that one
There is 2-bounce turned on for spherical light sources, by default. You can back it down to 1-bounce, expand it to all light sources, or turn it off.

I thought most modern real-time ray trace implementations already do secondary bounce light? You mean like global illumination right?
sure, but in the video and screenshots it looks like 0-bounces pretty much throughout. maybe it's an aesthetic decision, for sure it's very taxing on systems doing multiple bounces for every light source

I tried the raytraced version - not a fan. I appreciate and enjoy the work done as a graphics wonk, but as far as the actual game, it just doesn't work IMO.

It could if someone went back through all the levels and added appropriate light sourcing for ray tracing vs sector lighting. Ton of work, and I suspect, someone will do it.

Dunno, I kinda feel just enjoy what it was designed to be.
Whoever owns the rights should just release a proper reboot on steam for 10 bucks.

Whoever owns the rights should just release a proper reboot on steam for 10 bucks.
Microsoft does through Bethesda. I don't think they'd be interested. Quake II RTX was just a fan-made mod that was fine-tuned by NVIDIA. id had nothing to do with that release aside from the original source code. If anything, I'd think this mod would be picked up and officially endorsed like the Quake II mod was.

I thought they did something like that or was that Q2?
That was Quake 2. There's no natively raytraced engine for Q1 that I'm aware of :(
I've gotten some ok results combining the Darkplaces Q1 engine with lots of ReShade but ReShade RT is screenspace and only does "second bounce" type GI (ie no emissive lighting).
Here's to hoping Q1 gets the RTX treatment next.

lol at the sprite at 8:38 which gets different lighting depending on how you look at it. neat either way
The game with RTX is 50% amazeballs and 50% hot mess, which is really what I'd expect. Grafting on true 3-d lighting models for a sprite-based and sector-lit 2.5D game... it will vary.

I still appreciate an excuse to go play E1M1 again, even if it now requires a flashlight.

There's no natively raytraced engine for Q1 that I'm aware of :(
I've gotten some ok results combining the Darkplaces Q1 engine with lots of ReShade but ReShade RT is screenspace and only does "second bounce" type GI (ie no emissive lighting).
Here's to hoping Q1 gets the RTX treatment next.
this isn't RTX? says so in the title but also looks like your darkplaces description

this isn't RTX? says so in the title but also looks like your darkplaces description

Yep, that's exactly the setup I've used! Darkplaces with ReShade and the Pascal Gilcher RTGI shader. It is misleading that the YouTuber mentioned "RTX" since the RTGI shader does not utilize RT cores in any way and works on almost any GPU- I've used it on everything from RTX 3070Ti and Vega 64 to a positively ancient Radeon HD 6700M.
I fuckin love that shader and use it with most games these days but the results with Q1 are only ok... it would be a lot nicer with RT lighting that is aware of emissive light sources and isn't limited to screenspace but that's beyond what ReShade can do.

Back