Class Divide between "Poor" Apple iPhone and "Rich" Huawei Users in China

The iphone uses a lightning cable and the macbook pro uses usb c.

Been using this for 3+ years for stuff that haven't gone usb-c yet: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

I cloud is convenient but they don't give enough storage to expect people to go all cloud.

$9.99 a month for 2TB of storage, well worth it for the convenience factor: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238, only $2.99 for 200GB if you don't need that much storage space.

She likes to plug her phone into her laptop to charge it while she is working, so I had to find some lightning to USB C cables.

I find it's easier to just drop it on a wireless charger if it needs charged, but yeah if she's going to be connecting it to her MBP on a daily basis, it's easier to just get a cable for it.

As long as your signed in with the same Apple ID
I see microsoft and other companies starting to do this and it's pretty annoying I must say... "it just works" but only if you are online, have proprietary cables, signed the massive wall of text disclosure agreement that probably changes each time who tf knows, and pay 15 bucks a month (for the first 6 months, then 50/month)... sheesh, if I wanted to be daily fisted I'd have stayed with comcast or whatever tv cable service :D

Since I've switched my family members to all Apple devices, my personal IT admin time has
yea in that case it might save you time and is worth the money... I'm not really hating on apple products, I've used them since forever at school/work (very fond memories of my first time using apple 2 and mac), but I still deal with old people who just can't figure the stuff out and then switch over to non-apple and suddenly enjoy life... like whne finally switched from AOL to something more humanitarian :p

I see microsoft and other companies starting to do this and it's pretty annoying I must say... "it just works" but only if you are online, have proprietary cables, signed the massive wall of text disclosure agreement that probably changes each time who tf knows, and pay 15 bucks a month (for the first 6 months, then 50/month)... sheesh, if I wanted to be daily fisted I'd have stayed with comcast or whatever tv cable service :D

Apple's been pretty good about iCloud pricing, it's only come down in price over the years, it's never gone up. Apple Music has stayed the same price as well. They don't use introductory prices, the price you see is the price you'll pay unless they make things cheaper or add more to the service for your money.

Original 2011 yearly iCloud pricing:

• 5GB is free
  • 15GB is $20/year
  • 25GB is $40/year
  • 55GB is $100/year

Jun 2014 pricing change:

• 5GB: Free
  • 20GB: $0.99/month
  • 200GB: $3.99/month
  • 500GB: $9.99/month
  • 1TB: $19.99/month

Sept. 2015 pricing change:

• 50GB: $0.99/month
  • 200GB: $2.99/month
  • 1TB: $9.99/month

June 2017 pricing change:

• 50GB: $0.99/month
  • 200GB: $2.99/month
  • 2TB: $9.99/month

yea in that case it might save you time and is worth the money... I'm not really hating on apple products, I've used them since forever at school/work (very fond memories of my first time using apple 2 and mac), but I still deal with old people who just can't figure the stuff out and then switch over to non-apple and suddenly enjoy life... like whne finally switched from AOL to something more humanitarian :p

Yeah, I started out using our Apple II Plus's floppy drives as a piggy bank, that didn't go over so well.

I was buying top of the line android phones before I switched to apple. If there is $100 difference between them, I didn't notice it.

For all the hate apple users get for being "cultish", pick any phone thread and it is 100% android users bragging and being smug. Haven't seen hardcore apple pushers in any of them. It's the same in the real world. Heads exploded when I switched to apple. For some reason, there was no response when I went from LG to Samsung to Nokia to Motorola to LG... After trying many different brands I can say there are things android is better for than apple and visa versa.

Who cares what phone someone uses?

I was buying top of the line android phones before I switched to apple. If there is $100 difference between them, I didn't notice it.

For all the hate apple users get for being "cultish", pick any phone thread and it is 100% android users bragging and being smug. Haven't seen hardcore apple pushers in any of them. It's the same in the real world. Heads exploded when I switched to apple. For some reason, there was no response when I went from LG to Samsung to Nokia to Motorola to LG... After trying many different brands I can say there are things android is better for than apple and visa versa.

Exactly. Use the phone that you enjoy best and who cares what others say. Also, I have to agree with your comment about Android users bring smug, all of them using the same tired arguments about Apple users.

I’ve used Blackberry, Apple, and Samsung phones over the last 10-15 years. To me, a phone is a tool I need for work and I need it to work well. I don’t care about silly things like rooting, hacking around, etc - I have my PCs for that. To me, the Apple ecosystem is the best. Comparing the apps on my Android devices (phone and tablets) to my Apple devices (phones and tablets), the Apple apps always seem more polished and just better all around. That isn’t to say I like the company or think they’re “courageous” or “innovative” - in fact, I think Tim Cook needs to STFU and worry about selling devices instead of jacking up prices to make up for falling sales.

Meh, any idiot who bases social status on a product is rather dense and gullible by nature, most of the people I know with higher standings and knowledge of electronics never use the off the shelve brand of phones, they go after the uber business encrypted phones for security reasons.

On a side note, there was a time where if you owned an Apple product you were simply a nerd rocking a pocket protector and glasses with zero hope of getting laid, its interesting the way things have changed and how Jobs era marketing during early 2000s changed the perception around.

The "Cultish" and "Isheep" comes from the thoughts that there are people who believes Apple can do no wrong, and they never make mistakes, believing Apple is unhackable, just works attitude(even when it doesn't), the clear defective hardware and engineering(blaming people are using it wrong), claiming Apple was the first, or an actual technologically superior device despite its clear flaws on a deep dive inspection past the pretty packaging.

I will give Apple ease of use(and I do except peoples explanation as such for wanting or using Apple products), but the clear fact is they make money based on perceptions of the company and marketing deceptiveness, with a clear anti-consumer behavior practices that damage the market as well as the Political ramifications by lobbying and continual lawsuits.

Then you have the morons associating a social status with said devices, overpaying for relative technology doesn't make you of a higher social standing, it makes you look like an idiot......and this is a lot of iPhone users and that extends by perceptions to the entirety of the consumer base.

I will be honest with you, because you don't seem like one of those morons,

Apple relatively only has a few decent products, out of those products, I have never come across anything that they sold that was ever good, personally speaking,

- IPod was always a ripoff and damaged HiFi Audio and set the industry back by a minimum of a decade and a half, even the Engineer that originally created it came out last year with an interview stating how embarrassed he was to create it. Creative had much better products with better quality on the interior where it counted versus how pretty the exterior looked, back in 2002 I had a $300 smart phone looking Zen that had 300Gbs a touch screen interface and ridiculously good audio quality that played just about any format.
- Any computer product of theirs I have repaired multiple times, and its always been cheap junk on the inside, I bought a 5k-IMac and it couldn't do as advertised, so I hacked the crap out of it to make it useful getting rid of the laptop junk components, Macbooks don't get me started on that supposed unibody chassis, and how the heat would destroy the glue and welds holding the thing together, recently the keyboard issues, and the failing IC's circuit failures/T2 chip/..ect ect.
- Ipad, decent and good for what they are, but like the phones fragile as F^%k, and the locked down ecosystem was always not really within my needs.
- Honestly the iPhone for ease of use was always good, The trade-offs and the hardware issues always left a bad taste in my mouth. Plus I hate AT&T with a passion so I never personally had the will to buy one.

As for the Android users, its more gloating now than anything, Android finally has products that can outpace an iPhone and rival them on quite a few fronts without the limits to a walled garden, people just want to feel special because they seen others feeling special, its still garbage, like you said, its a phone...…….and a duck is a duck..who cares?

And consumers fighting eachother about which product to buy, generates free advertising and hype without the need for the companies to get involved. Essentially turning us into unpaid sales reps. Once one can accept that both android and apple phones are overpriced and underwhelming, you will know peace.

Fanbois on either side are just as equally annoying. I think it is just getting worse as they get more expensive because now there is just more need to justify their purchase to others.

I should just go back to dumb phones and then spend more on my pc.

I don't feel 'snobbish' about using an android but I find it's more interesting to talk about them because of the variety of choices.
I like Android because of the flexibility, dual sim, expandable storage, custom firmware and a headphone jack (though I've switched to wireless).
With Apple, you tend to have one upgrade choice as most are unlikely to go for a different size than what they currently use.

I don't understand why people have the perceptions they do. For some reason here there is the perception that the iphones are just better, or must be better because they are apple. I have had to explain to a number of people that iphone users are actually a VERY small percentage of the user market and really they are far worse than a great many cheaper options out there.

That's how it is in the United States as well, the only difference is that wealthy people don't buy iPhones but they buy Samsung phones.

It’s not an iPhone or social thing it’s just a wealth thing. Wealthy people generally don’t spend a lot of money on bs as a general rule. The few millionaires I know have cheap androids and drive Fords in houses smaller than your average upper middle class family.

It’s not an iPhone or social thing it’s just a wealth thing. Wealthy people generally don’t spend a lot of money on bs as a general rule. The few millionaires I know have cheap androids and drive Fords in houses smaller than your average upper middle class family.

Right, where as the rest have to buy expensive toys to brag about and then wonder why they have sad bank accounts. I am one of those people lol.

Not surprising. I buy cheap handsets, flash a custom ROM, and use it for 3+ years. Currently on a Honor 5X with Lineage OS. Paid $149 for it just over two years ago and I plan on keeping it another year or more.

It sends texts, makes calls, gets my email, and lets me look at websites. Everything I want to do from a mobile. I view a phone as a tool and upgrade when I need to. Just like cars (I typically go 10 years or so with a car) and every other tool. You replace it when it can't reliably get the job done, and not until then. I'd rather max out my 401K / IRA contributions, etc.

Not surprising. I buy cheap handsets, flash a custom ROM, and use it for 3+ years. Currently on a Honor 5X with Lineage OS. Paid $149 for it just over two years ago and I plan on keeping it another year or more.

It sends texts, makes calls, gets my email, and lets me look at websites. Everything I want to do from a mobile. I view a phone as a tool and upgrade when I need to. Just like cars (I typically go 10 years or so with a car) and every other tool. You replace it when it can't reliably get the job done, and not until then. I'd rather max out my 401K / IRA contributions, etc.

I am using the international version of LG's V20 for that same reason. Frankly, flagships of yesterday could be had for a bargain in a year's time and they are way better than adequate at being a smartphone.

Back