Class Action Lawsuit Officially Filed Against Nintendo For Switch Joy-Con "Drifting" Issues

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
I don't have a Switch but have really been wanting one.

Those with a Switch may find this interesting. How many of you guys have replaced Joy-Con's due to drift?

Link

I don't use the Joy-Cons enough for them to develop this problem, but I hope this forces Nintendo to address the problem. They need to fix it and make sure it doesn't happen with the Switch Lite.

I've had the original Switch for quite a while now, and haven't experienced the drift. I could buy new Joy-Cons if the issue presents itself, but that's not a great solution. I'm interested in the Lite as well when it launches in late September, so I really hope they fix this issue, because Lite owners will be in a world of shit if this issue persists.

Can't say I've had this issue in the 2 years I've had the console. Still using the original ones that came with it.

No issues here, but I also use the Pro controller 75% of the time. A buddy of mine that takes his everywhere has complained about this. However in case, he seems to think it's software related. When you reboot the system, the issue seems to disappear. The lawsuit seems to imply a permanent defect, which isn't the same issue.

The official complaint alleges that Nintendo knew about the design flaw prior to releasing the console to the public. That is a strong charge. I wonder what evidence the law firm has to backup that claim. Not saying the claim is unfounded, but the amount they're asking for redress seems to hinge on that fact. I am not entirely familiar with California's consumer protection laws, though, so it may not have the burden of proof that I am assuming.

3 sets of joy con . Kids playing from 5 years old to 9 years old. 2 left joy con are drifting.

so 2 of my 3 sets are broken. Joycon are very pricy to replace, you cant just buy a left one , you need to buy a pair.

2 nintendo switches and 3 different sets of joy cons, I don't have any problems with the drift. But two of the left joy cons have the bad connection issue. Though I don't use the joy cons that often, basically only when I am not playing docked which for the past few months is really rare.

Nintendo is now reportedly offering free repairs for Joy-Con drift and will refund anyone that paid Nintendo to get them repaired. Nothing official, but a CSR spoke to Vice and showed them documentation about the issue. So, if you have drift give CS a call and have them fix it. Sounds like there is no need to confirm warranty status either.

Nintendo is now reportedly offering free repairs for Joy-Con drift and will refund anyone that paid Nintendo to get them repaired. Nothing official, but a CSR spoke to Vice and showed them documentation about the issue. So, if you have drift give CS a call and have them fix it. Sounds like there is no need to confirm warranty status either.

It's a good start, but they should just cross-ship repaired/refurbished/new Joycons out to affected customers instead of making them wait 2-4 weeks for the repair IMO. For the markup they have on these things, I think it's the least they can do and it's not like it's any more expensive for them to do since they're still repairing and shipping the same hardware.

I've only had my Switch for a couple months and have used the Pro controller most of the time, so I haven't had any issues yet with either set of my Joycons fortunately.

I suppose this is good news moving forward. My Joy-Cons are still like new, although they're about to start getting some more use thanks to pending trips. Those buggers are expensive and not very comfortable to use. At $70-80 for a pair, I'd probably just stop using them altogether if they broke. Do you ever have to use them? Feels like I can use the Pro controller for everything.

Good to hear, and at least it's being addressed without too much hassle.

I suppose this is good news moving forward. My Joy-Cons are still like new, although they're about to start getting some more use thanks to pending trips. Those buggers are expensive and not very comfortable to use. At $70-80 for a pair, I'd probably just stop using them altogether if they broke. Do you ever have to use them? Feels like I can use the Pro controller for everything.

Agree with you fully. I think they're far too expensive, but I don't know the profit margin either. You don't really have to use them outside of on-the-go, but some games, like Mario Odyssey have some moves (like throwing the hat in various directions) that are made incredibly easy with the Joy-Cons, versus trying to figure it out with the Pro Controller, and basically missing the move half the time. If I'm not on the go, the Switch is played with the Pro Controller. Additionally, there are some cases you get can ghat add some contour to the Joy-Cons, alleviating hand cramps due to the flat back design (which isn't that comfortable to begin with).

is a lawsuit necessary, omg people it's a friggin toy... I don't remember people getting so bent out of shape every time barbie's head came off, and that surely traumatized many more kids

but I guess folks are favour of putting even more money into rich lawyers pockets, so whatev...

Sad thing is for everywhere else and everyone else that suffer again from easy to fix before plop on shelf, and most will NOT be able to get a dime out of said lawsuit, because, they not USA or specific state.. kind of influencing the company in question to go to "greener pastures" where they can still pull fast ones.

Odd there was really nothing in regards to Nvidia issues with Switch (that I recall hearing)

Wish everyone luck whomever is involved.

is a lawsuit necessary, omg people it's a friggin toy... I don't remember people getting so bent out of shape every time barbie's head came off, and that surely traumatized many more kids

but I guess folks are favour of putting even more money into rich lawyers pockets, so whatev...

Yes let’s never hold companies accountable for errors they were refusing to acknowledge or repair. The public outcry and threat of the lawsuit forced Nintendo to do free out of warranty repairs for the issue.

Do you ever have to use them? Feels like I can use the Pro controller for everything.

There are some games that require them, but I only know of Mario Party so far, which you can't use a Pro controller on.

For those of you who think the Joycons are uncomfortable too (which I definitely do after more than a few mins of playing attached to the Switch), I got this Satisfye grip and it's exponentially better. I just got mine yesterday but played it for a few hours last night with no hand cramps or anything. The little joystick nubs that come with it are a bit too big and interfere with full range of movement a bit though, but they do make the joysticks much easier to grip and move around too.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes let’s never hold companies accountable for errors they were refusing to acknowledge or repair. The public outcry and threat of the lawsuit forced Nintendo to do free out of warranty repairs for the issue.

Agreed. No matter what it is, people expect a product to work, and if it forces people to shell out $80 every time something goes wrong (a known issue), then there's a problem. Especially if the company knew about it and didn't acknowledge it until there was outcry. When companies don't listen, there's very little that can be done outside of extreme circumstances.

so I guess exercising a little will power would be "extreme" these days... sorry, just a little behind the times here :whistle:

Lol, some people just have to be the typical internet contrarian and play the obtuse role like Youn there.

Maybe he thinks this is more about getting money than it is forcing Nintendo to just fix their overpriced product and repair a known defect for free. Regardless, it's always entertaining to see poorly substantiated opinions. :D

hey, I don't mind being on the other side of the argument... (even though for the most part I agree with y'all)

so, you're right guys, we shouldn't criticize ourselves for any of these sorts of trends... continue pre-ordering games and buying up new things ASAP and filing lawsuits every time our peepee starts to deflate and panties get in a twist from disappointment... it's the american way, right?

There's a time and place for everything. They had 2 years to fix this issue, knowing fully that the problem existed from the start. At this point, people could stop buying Switches, or get the company to listen. We all know that voting with ones wallet doesn't really work, people still want their Switch fix (irony), hence the lawsuit to get them to act. If a product launches, it should work near perfectly. We expect bugs along the way with new products, but nearly preventing one from using the system in one of the ways it's mean to be used, unless you shell out for new controller? Not really reasonable.

I'm not advocating for everyone to sue for every little issue, but this is a large corporation that needs to roll up their sleeves and fix an issue that could plague millions of units. It happens either a few months into ownership or far down the line. The fact is, it exists, and needs to be addressed. Silence on Nintendo's part up until now was a shit way to handle it from a PR perspective.

Last edited:

Barbie replacements didn't cost $80

well as part of that number you gotta include the replacement microwaves, bed sheets, years of intensive therapy, and uneaten loaves of holiday fruit cake which likely caused some raccoons to commit bloody suicide outside some neighbor's unsuspecting child's bedroom window, further adding to the bedsheets/therapy... does all of that add up to the amount folks have payed for replacement joy cons?

of course, I'm kinda half joking you guys, I think Nintendo should offer refunds or additional store credit or something for the issue, I guess I'm just more upset that other bigger problems in the world aren't getting as much attention

Back