Clarify HDMI with ethernet for me.

djoye

2[H]4U
From my understanding, if your TV has a network connection, it can act as a hub for HDMI devices with networking capability; is that what HDMI with ethernet allows?

Also, does that go for any HDMI 1.4 device that has an ethernet port?

http://www.mycablemart.com/help/hdmi_which_one.php

I think not quite. Quote from the above.

Do I need "Ethernet HDMI"? For most home theatre and computer applications, the answer is "no". A small number of advanced 3D Blu-ray players and Home Theatre receivers are now finally providing support for HDMI v1.4 (aka "HDMI with Ethernet" or "HEC"), but still even FEWER devices are actually making use of this specific feature. Nearly all our current HDMI cable stock is now "HDMI with Ethernet". Any device needing an HDMI cable can use HDMI with Ethernet cable as it is fully backwards compatible. This cable feature allows your internet-ready entertainment devices, from gaming consoles to Blu-ray Disc players and more, to share an internet connection without any need for a separate Ethernet cable. Devices connected by the HDMI Ethernet Channel will be able to exchange digital content in its native format, enabling recording, storage, and playback options across a connected system, with no need for a separate Ethernet cable. The HDMI Ethernet Channel accommodates current and future IP-based networking solutions for consumer electronics, such as UPnP, LiquidHD, and DLNA. HDMI with Ethernet is the ideal one-cable solution for connecting devices in these advanced home-networking environments using network protocols TCP/IP, UPnP, DLNA, LiquidHD, and so forth.

So if you have new advanced stuff, you could be OK, otherwise no.

I haven't seen any devices that support HDMI with ethernet yet. I'd expect once they do start to come out, there will be varying capabilities/support.

Back