CJ leaks benchmarks of 5870/5850 vs. 285/295

in relation to that, and extrapolating to prices of a 4890 elsewhere.. the 5870 could be a bargain

Yea I loves me some AA and AF. I know it's too early to judge but do you think a stock clock E8500 would need to be OC'd for this? I'm on an Asus P5Q Pro and 4gig of DDR2-1000. Just wanting to get my ducks in line, so to say.

I usually wouldn't quote myself, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me...I'm not quite sure where bottlenecks come into play with what processors and video cards. Any information would be much appreciated...I'll even send Ron Burgundy to your house for a singing telegram. :D

I usually wouldn't quote myself, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me...I'm not quite sure where bottlenecks come into play with what processors and video cards. Any information would be much appreciated...I'll even send Ron Burgundy to your house for a singing telegram. :D

Yes, I would say you'll end up having CPU bottlenecking if you don't OC that chip, with even a single 5870 based on the early performance numbers.

Yes, I would say you'll end up having CPU bottlenecking if you don't OC that chip, with even a single 5870 based on the early performance numbers.

I was thinking of a modest OC...something like maybe 3.6...that chip should do that easily enough. May have to try my hand at it...long overdue. I've been wanting to for a while now but every time I think "What if I smoke it lol".

I was thinking of a modest OC...something like maybe 3.6...that chip should do that easily enough. May have to try my hand at it...long overdue. I've been wanting to for a while now but every time I think "What if I smoke it lol".

So long as you don't raise voltages to dangerous levels for your cooling (i.e. phase-level volts when you're only on air) you would be hard-pressed to actually damage the chip rather than have it just shut down or not boot, requiring a BIOS reset. I'd say 3.6 is a good goal to aim for :), just read up on what the normal volts are for overclocks on that chip, and go for it :D.

So long as you don't raise voltages to dangerous levels for your cooling (i.e. phase-level volts when you're only on air) you would be hard-pressed to actually damage the chip rather than have it just shut down or not boot, requiring a BIOS reset. I'd say 3.6 is a good goal to aim for :), just read up on what the normal volts are for overclocks on that chip, and go for it :D.

Yea I may shoot a PM to ya with the settings I've in mind before I actually do it if ya don't mind. Thanks again

I can't wait to get one. Especially since I have a feeling nVidia drivers shot my windows install, or my card has gone bonkers and only works in 2D mode (either which I'm RMAing). I want my 5870 *droool*

If you have a decent CPU cooler then 3.6ghz is child's play for the E8500. I'd say go for 4.0ghz, 4.2ghz if you feel ambitious.

If you have a decent CPU cooler then 3.6ghz is child's play for the E8500. I'd say go for 4.0ghz, 4.2ghz if you feel ambitious.

Yea I got the Xigmatek 3 pipe cooler for it...I might go higher than 3.6 but figured I would start small at first lol

Sorry guys I havn't read this thread since my last post, so this might be diplicate information, but anyways,

Nvidia claims our GT300 is superior to that RV870:
http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/09/17/nvidias-gt300-core-vs-atis-rv870/
... if only we could get more than 2 or 3 per 300mm wafer!!!
http://www.techspot.com/news/36223-nvidia-suffers-twopercent-yield-on-gt300.html

I'd retact that last link, to avoid being made to look like a fool ;)

Hint: Bad translators can confuse numbers...it's been debunked already ;)

Sorry guys I havn't read this thread since my last post, so this might be diplicate information, but anyways,

Nvidia claims our GT300 is superior to that RV870:
http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/09/17/nvidias-gt300-core-vs-atis-rv870/
... if only we could get more than 2 or 3 per 300mm wafer!!!
http://www.techspot.com/news/36223-nvidia-suffers-twopercent-yield-on-gt300.html

neither one of it seem to be trustworthy..

until something comes out the cane, nothing really need to be know..

anyway, if GT300 pull the trigger, I will definitely fly in for one..... but if they raise their flag, hey...it happens.....

Well I just purchased, downloaded, installed and played NFS:Shift, and now I really can't wait for these new cards. The ole' 4850 isn't cutting at at 19x12 for these new games.

This card is going to be 280mm or 11" long. Confirmed by CNET

The two vents in the rear of the card makes it longer, but this will probably be shortened with better cooling solutions by third party vendors in the future. For now, a tight fit for people with mid-towers with fixed HDD cages.

The X2 could be 11" or longer.

Are the cards going to be immediately available online Sept 22/23? I've been itching to do my first build (been playing with a regular old PCI card for several years) and the wait is almost painful.

Are the cards going to be immediately available online Sept 22/23? I've been itching to do my first build (been playing with a regular old PCI card for several years) and the wait is almost painful.

There will be availability immediately but not in mass quantities from what I hear.

This card is going to be 280mm or 11" long. Confirmed by CNET

The two vents in the rear of the card makes it longer, but this will probably be shortened with better cooling solutions by third party vendors in the future. For now, a tight fit for people with mid-towers with fixed HDD cages.

The X2 could be 11" or longer.

Tight fit? Umm no. Impossible fit.
I have the Lian Li PC65b and I've had the Thermaltake Element G midtower case briefly. A 10.5 inch GTX 260 would barely fit. With an 11" video card you'd have to REMOVE the 3.5" HD cage. And that's just not practical for most people. Thankfully I have a HAF 932 now, so go ahead and bring on the 11" cards. But most people that don't own full tower cases will have to buy a new case to fit an 11" video card.

Tight fit? Umm no. Impossible fit.
I have the Lian Li PC65b and I've had the Thermaltake Element G midtower case briefly. A 10.5 inch GTX 260 would barely fit. With an 11" video card you'd have to REMOVE the 3.5" HD cage. And that's just not practical for most people. Thankfully I have a HAF 932 now, so go ahead and bring on the 11" cards. But most people that don't own full tower cases will have to buy a new case to fit an 11" video card.

Plenty of room in a CM 590...

I am impressed, I really need an upgrade since I am still using old 2x GEFORCE 8800GTX SLI

Thanks desk! Yummy, says the 5870 comes with a DIrt 2 coupon/game.

In case it's taken down.... pictures/text:

xfx587022.jpg

Reality. Check.
XFX offers you the ultimate reality check with the new XFX Radeon™ HD 5870 and 5850 graphics processing units. Bringing three new dimensions to gaming reality, these graphics cards challenge the limits that have restrained your gaming. Until now.
First, ATI Eyefinity Technology literally broadens your horizons by enabling you to spread out across three displays at resolutions of up to 1080p. Use this “wrap-around” in-picture experience to become fully immersed in your gaming—or productively immerse in your work.
Second, ATI Stream Technology gives your system a significant boost by offloading tasks usually sent to your CPU to your GPU. The result is a more balanced gaming platform that can handle the demands of today’s fully immersive games.
Third, both the XFX Radeon HD 5870 and 5850 offer full Microsoft® DirectX®11 support so that you can push your settings to the max and still game at the highest resolutions. And, sure-to-make-you-blink 3D effects are generated through HDR Texture Compression, DirectCompute and Tessellation.
As John Lennon once said, “Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.” At XFX, we couldn’t agree more. Especially when you’re talking about the XFX Radeon HD 5870 and 5850 graphics cards.
Game on.

Stream
Technology Cross Fire X
Technology 5 Star
Support
EyeFinity
Technology

Bundled with DiRT 2
Inspired by the best in off-road racing and extreme sports, DIRT 2 takes you on a stunning world tour from Malaysia to Morocco and London to LA in new and classic events. Unleash the planet’s hottest licensed off-road vehicles in a range of multi-car, solo and multi-class races set in incredible new environments. Step into the drivers seat and enjoy the revolution in off-road racing only with XFX and DIRT 2.

Key Features
– 1 GB GDDR5 memory
– ATI Eyefinity technology with support for up to three displays (1,3)
– ATI Stream technology (2)
- Designed for DirectCompute 5.0 and OpenCL
- Accelerated Video Transcoding (AVT) (2,4)
– Compliant with DirectX® 11 and earlier revisions
– Supports OpenGL 3.1
– ATI CrossFireX™ multi-GPU support for highly scalable performance (5)
– ATI Avivo™ HD video and display technology (6,7)
– Dynamic power management with ATI PowerPlay™ technology (6)
– DL-DVI, DL-DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI
– PCI Express® 2.0 support

(1) Driver version 8.66 (Catalyst 9.10) or above is required to support ATI Eyfinity technology and to enable a third display you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector.
(2) Requires application support for ATI Stream technology.
(3) ATI Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios which is required for panning across three displays. (4) Digital rights management restrictions may apply.
(5) ATI CrossFireX™ technology requires an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard, an ATI CrossFireX™ Bridge Interconnect(s) and may require a specialized power supply.
(6) ATI PowerPlay™, ATI Avivo™ and ATI Stream are technology platforms that include a broad set of capabilities offered by certain XFX Radeon™ HD GPUs. Not all products have all features and full enablement of some capabilities and may require complementary products.
(7) HD capable display required.

Last edited:
Its like getting a sneak peek at your presents before Christmas!

Any word on the power requirements and connectors? 550W and two 6's?

Last edited:
Awesome...the Dirt 2 addition is nice as well.
I'm still holding out for 2 weeks to see what Nvidia has to say, but it's getting more and more likely that I'm going for a 5870.

My worries about the cooler are getting bigger and bigger every day :( anyway im getting two of this babies !!! on 23 cant wait! BTW are the 2GB versions be available on 23 as well? i don't want to be limited on any possible way!

Back