Civilization VI Launches for Free on iPad, but Costs $60 to Unlock

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Aspyr Media has launched Civilization VI on iOS as an iPad exclusive. It's free to download and play, but it's not a free game. In fact, it's very expensive: a payment of $60 will be required to unlock the full game, and this is just the base game. There is no additional content or expansion packs.

It will be interesting seeing the response to what has become the norm for AAA pricing in the PC and console industry on iOS. The good news about the pricing is that you can buy the unlock for 50% off until January 4th. Civilization VI has touch controls and will not support controllers at this time.

They went through the trouble of making it touch friendly and aren't charging extra. Why should a AAA title on PC magically cost less on iPad?

I paid... what 75 for it on launch? (got the middle tier)

Shoulda known better. Need to wait for an expansion before it'll be worth playing over civ 5.

That being said, $30 ain't bad, but I'd be leary as to if any expansions are going to hit the ipad in a timely fashion.

The game is terrible on my iPad Pro. It isn’t using the native screen resolution and everything from the text to the units looks like shit. Other games that don’t run in native res usually look fine, this whole thing looks like a highly compressed YouTube video. They could have had my $60, but not for garbage like this.

Eh, think of it as a free demo. If someone absolutely likes the game then great they can fork over $60, for everyone else who's like "damn this is some grade A piece of shit" you remove said app from your iPad and move on with your life.

the comments that get to me the most are those wanting it on their iphone

seriously??

the civ series really needs lots of screen space to be appreciated.

So more people getting around the tax system. Good play. This is the new way of getting around paying apple and everyone 30% of the cost. Make the item free and unlock it via other means.

Eh, think of it as a free demo. If someone absolutely likes the game then great they can fork over $60, for everyone else who's like "damn this is some grade A piece of shit" you remove said app from your iPad and move on with your life.
So it is the return of shareware?

Back