City of Heroes: Going Rogue -- Live today.

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Anyone else check this out? For anyone who pre-ordered (me), you could get on last night and check out the new zones and all the new changes.

I have to say, I was VERY impressed. It almost seems like an entirely different game. Sure, the same basic concepts and ideas are all there, but theres so much new, it truly feels like the release of a new game, rather than just an expansion. Especially considering the fact that this expansion opens a whole new type of character, with a new starting location and a whole new WORLD with its own back story, and that everyone is making new level 1 characters to check it out.

I only got through a couple missions before I switched to my main character to play with a friend who hadn't pre-ordered, but first impressions were very good. I can't wait to explore more.

I saw the ad for the games new expansion, and went to the site to try and replay COH again (I played the original COH back in like 2005 when it came out for a while)...so anyways, they had a 14 day trial last week so I downloaded the client.

They seem to have a Pentagon security clearance on my 2005 login info as I gave them my full name, emailed them from the original acct, and even had the full address and I couldn't get my old info, even after calling these NCSoft people (you can assure they do not get hacked accounts a lot, hahaha).... oh well so I made a new VILLIAN for city of villians. There seemed to be no major difference early on between villian/hero besides what city and zones you play in....

After getting to level 14 this week after a few days of playing off and on, I find myself wanting to buy the game to play some more.... I have played WoW a lot when it also first came out but haven't played that in years as well.... both games are very well made and very HUGE (world of warcraft and this game)

City of Heroes and all of its expansions is quite easily, WITHOUT A DOUBT one of the best MMORPG games out..... its completely customizable to almost no end, and the missions and groups are fun. I prefer to solo and you can even change spawn settings for NPCs on your own solo missions to accomodate solo playing.

I mean..... try it out, City of Villians / Heroes is awesome.

Oh and I tried that new race or whatever with the new city.... there's a BOATLOAD of people playing right now, esp on the FREEDOM server I play on (there's a COH wiki list that tells you which servers have the best settings for your tastes).

=====

And to get my taste on games..... I have played many MMO's but mostly played modern-day & WW2 realistic shooter games like CS:S :
Not much of a comic fan, or space fan.... just enjoy fun, semi-intelligent games

SWG (before it sucked)
WoW (before it sucked)
COH

I recommend people check it out, there's a trial and it does not require a credit card.... the only thing that is lame about trial is the constant asking if you want to buy the full game, besides that its exactly as if you were to pay (up until level 14)

Last edited:
Oh and the graphics are better now supposedly.... for you people with the decent machines its pretty good looking for a huge city MMO

Well, I just bought it, unfortunately the downloader is sloooooow (150K/sec).

Yea, its honestly one of the better games out there right now. Its fast paced, fun, and hectic. All of the classes FEEL very powerful, especially as you progress. They're all drastically different from each other.

Villains are more oriented towards solo'ing, while heroes are more team play, but any class CAN solo. Its just a matter of how much. For example, my level 50 tanker can play on +3x8 -- which means, the enemies are 3 levels higher than me, and the spawn size is what you'd get if there were 8 players on the team.

If you've never played it, or if you haven't played in a long time, now is the perfect time to come back, check out the expansion and the new additions, and look me up :).

I'm on Guardian -- @Direwolf20

Not the greatest shots but I was in a hurry:

screenshot_100819-18-59-19.jpg

screenshot_100819-18-58-49.jpg

screenshot_100819-18-58-13.jpg

Just a random shot of the main newbie zone in Praetoria. I wish they would update the graphics engine a bit more, though, as there are much better looking games that don't kick my pc's ass like this one does. New zones sure are pretty though...

couple more from tonight.

Resistance Clockwork item vendor

Some Dystopic propganda

Sweet! Executions on TV!!

Old room, new skin that makes it look nice

I need mez protection...

...else I end up here often

I'm set pretty low on eye candy. Shadows on medium, Ambient Occlusion is set to performance, FSAA 4X, AF 16X, world detail 100%, character detail 200%, reflections. water set to Ultra. I get around 30fps in the open, and 60fps in doors unless there's a lot going on.

Last edited:
All of the classes FEEL very powerful, especially as you progress.
I'm on Guardian -- @Direwolf20

Too bad they felt 10x as powerful back before the game-killing nerfs (defense and damage nerfed across the board.), but that was a long time ago.

Well, it made you feel 10x powerful if you were one of the 'special' archetypes that were wildly out of balance. There was a period when only 5 or 6 flavors of Supers were used by the mini-maxers, because they were wildly broken.

Much better balance nowadays. Good storylines in the new expansion, and the merging of the Hero and Villain archtypes into their opposite playing fields. Lots of people are having fun with it, myself included.

With the new enhancement sets and crafting recipes, you've got some REALLY nice buffs going on that make your character pretty uber.

With the new enhancement sets and crafting recipes, you've got some REALLY nice buffs going on that make your character pretty uber.

Yeah but you gotta be incredibly rich, which translates to having an incredible tolerance for boredom because you've played the game for the last 5+ years without ever saying "holy fuck this game gets boring once I've maxed out a character or two".

I played COH when it first came out, but of course, dropped it for WoW. I can remember spending hours on the character generator. I was amazed at how unique each player can be.

I'll have to check out the new expansion details.

Yeah but you gotta be incredibly rich, which translates to having an incredible tolerance for boredom because you've played the game for the last 5+ years without ever saying "holy fuck this game gets boring once I've maxed out a character or two".

Honestly, in regular playing you can get some real nice drops that depending on how you want to slot, can almost single handedly pay for kitting you out. I used merit rewards to pick up a particular enhancement recipe, sold it for 200M inf, then used that money to fully kit out on less expensive, and 95% of the effectiveness of the stupid expensive ones.

Honestly, in regular playing you can get some real nice drops that depending on how you want to slot, can almost single handedly pay for kitting you out. I used merit rewards to pick up a particular enhancement recipe, sold it for 200M inf, then used that money to fully kit out on less expensive, and 95% of the effectiveness of the stupid expensive ones.

Yeah that's true. But having the stupid expensive stats is nice when you are soloing, which unless you are playing on Freedom server, you're going to be doing a whole lot of. The majority of the servers struggle to top 100 players in prime time, even less on villain side. The game has been dying a slow death ever since the game-destroying nerfs in late 2005. Frankly I'm shocked they have not closed any servers.

The population has been steady at about 130K subscribers for ages now. I dunno if that can be considered good or bad news as it shows a steady income, but no real growth. I play on Pinnacle and have a tight knit group of friends I play with (my significant other and I met playing CoH, actually...), so I don't really see the lack of population as a big deal. Every time people bring up a server merge, it's usually met with cries of "leave my server alone!" by those on it. Spreading 130K across 11 servers does seem a bit much, but at least I never have to wait in a queue to play, and the lag is minimal when I do play.

I will say, though, that it's been kind of nice to see so much activity on the servers since launch of GR.

The population has been steady at about 130K subscribers for ages now. I dunno if that can be considered good or bad news as it shows a steady income, but no real growth. I play on Pinnacle and have a tight knit group of friends I play with (my significant other and I met playing CoH, actually...), so I don't really see the lack of population as a big deal. Every time people bring up a server merge, it's usually met with cries of "leave my server alone!" by those on it. Spreading 130K across 11 servers does seem a bit much, but at least I never have to wait in a queue to play, and the lag is minimal when I do play.

I will say, though, that it's been kind of nice to see so much activity on the servers since launch of GR.

I'd say keeping that many subs for such a long period of time is definitely admirable. Not many MMOs can match that. I played CoH when it was released and had a blast. After playing the trial again, it's still fun, and offers things a lot of other MMOs don't. A feeling of being powerful, customization, and great combat.

I play on pinn too, well I used to until it turned into a ghost town, even on weekends you will rarely see 150 people on at once, nothing like flying over portal corp and seeing not one person, when there used to be a hundred or more. The dev management killed the game with nerfs then jumped ship to create a competing game (lol), which hilariously turned out to be garbage. Since when did they start releasing population stats? There is no way it's at 130k right now.

Yeah that's true. But having the stupid expensive stats is nice when you are soloing, which unless you are playing on Freedom server, you're going to be doing a whole lot of. The majority of the servers struggle to top 100 players in prime time, even less on villain side. The game has been dying a slow death ever since the game-destroying nerfs in late 2005. Frankly I'm shocked they have not closed any servers.

I have a rather cheaply setup tank, and as mentioned, he can solo no problem at +3x8, which is almost the hardest you can make it. I can jump into a group of 20 enemies that are 3 levels above me, and kill them (albiet a LITTLE slower than some archetypes, I am a tank after all).

You really don't need stupid-expensive stuff for soloing, and as you progress in the game your character gets extremely powerful, especially if slotted properly (which isn't hard, using Mids Hero Designer to plan out your build).

I have an SG (super group aka guild) that I joined when I came back, and we're a big group of people who play regularly. Its pretty easy for me to join up with them, and if no one is on, its not terribly hard to find a pick-up group doing a task force, or something similar.

It may not have the population of WoW, nor what it was at release, but its going strong and its not a dying game by any stretch. This most recent expansion will probably breath new life into the game a bit, because it was designed to bring in new players.

The whole of Praetoria is new content for levels 1-20.

Last edited:
Pinn people don't just stand around in Portal Corp - we're too busy doing missions. I'm a badge whore, so I spend a lot of time running missions and watching the Pinnbadges channel for things going on. I can get into just about any TF/SF at any given time, and have done random PuG's for monster hunting on a whim.

Also, I'm hidden from searches, as is most the people I run with. After all the gold spamming a while back, I only come out from hide when I want to be found. a quick search in game just now found about 300 people searchable on Pinnacle. I would bet there's at least double that hidden as the trainers in Praetoria have almost that many people surrounding them right now.

Just one interesting piece: As I'm writing this, there's triple the people on the CoH forums as there are people on the [H].

Pinn people don't just stand around in Portal Corp - we're too busy doing missions. I'm a badge whore, so I spend a lot of time running missions and watching the Pinnbadges channel for things going on. I can get into just about any TF/SF at any given time, and have done random PuG's for monster hunting on a whim.

lol pinnbadges oh god what a cesspool that is, full off guys pretending to be girls and the sycophants who hang on their every word. I bailed on that scene a couple years ago and didn't look back. As opposed to your experience I've sat in LFT status for 3 or 4 hours at a time and not had a single tell or invite (on pinnacle). Freedom of course is a different story, everyone moved there during the free character xfer period. I have characters in many different SGs who keep becoming the leader because noone else ever logs on. I predict GR will bump pops for a month or 2 then it will be back to normal. Server mergers got to be right around the corner. For all it's faults it can be a very fun game, if you don't mind the same 5 map rotation for missions that they've had for 5 years now.

Oh I'll give you that. Pinnbadges can be pretty idiotic, and it has many issues. I was part of the exodus from PinnacleBadges when that happened. Pinnbadges is marginally better. I honestly can't tell you the last time I used the LFT flag... it had to be 4 or 5 years ago. Granted, when your SO plays, it's pretty easy to get a duo, and trio/quartet is almost always a guarantee for me.

I'm just about done with the Praetoria arcs. I don't want to have to pick to go CoH/CoV. REALLY would like to have a full 50 levels here. Need to find out if that's in the works.

Back