Cities XL 2012 worth getting?

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
I see this is 50% off on Steam right now for $19.99, yet most reviews have this in the low 60s.

Is this game worth getting at all? My favorite game of 1994 was Sim City 2000 and that has always remained my favorite city simulator although I have enjoyed others. I briefly toyed with Sim City Societies but that was a very different beast but regardless was not bad. I've never played Sim City 3000, Sim City 4, etc. but I have a deep longing for getting another city simulator that is both enjoyable and a modern game that will push my hardware.

Is Cities XL 2012 worth getting at all? What is the gameplay like? How would you describe it and how it differs from a game like Sim City?

Well it's not much different from the previous CitiesXL games, lots of bug fixes and other things, but not worth the full price when it's really a glorified update to the other games. But if you never played the series, you will probably like it if you are looking for your SimCity fix. Check out youtube for gameplay videos, there were plenty of them last time I looked. That will be the best indicator if you would like it. It's not a bad game, it's just that the last 2 releases are essentially bug fixes with extra goodies like extra maps and buildings.

Still inferior to Sim City 4 so if you are hoping for a Sim City replacement... No. Doesn't add much anyone wanted in CitiesXL either - feels pretty much identical to the last release. Very disappointing.

I've got Cities XL 2011 and I thought it was quite fun. Put a good few hours into it, but it gets repetitive after a while. They aren't very deep games, and there aren't any goals other than "build more stuff". The game looks great however and the user interface is quite good.

I will probably not get the new version, because it looks like essentially the same game with just a few minor fixes and new features. If you haven't played any of the Cities XL games before, it might be worth it though.

I've got Cities XL 2011 and I thought it was quite fun. Put a good few hours into it, but it gets repetitive after a while. They aren't very deep games, and there aren't any goals other than "build more stuff". The game looks great however and the user interface is quite good.

I will probably not get the new version, because it looks like essentially the same game with just a few minor fixes and new features. If you haven't played any of the Cities XL games before, it might be worth it though.

there really aren't any new features in 2012.. i think about the only thing i saw was that you could zoom to ground level(for all i know its in 2011 as well but i never tried it). hell it even uses the saved games from 2011, thats how little was changed in it.

I have XL 2011 and it was not worth it to me , not because it is not an OK game for fans of SimCity type games but because the graphics are extremely laggy. Out of all the SimCity type games I have owned over the years I still like SimCity2000 the best.

I have XL 2011 and it was not worth it to me , not because it is not an OK game for fans of SimCity type games but because the graphics are extremely laggy. Out of all the SimCity type games I have owned over the years I still like SimCity2000 the best.

i prefer simcity 4 + expansion. if only it ran worth a damn it would be nice. lags like a mofo which is why i went to cities XL 2011 which runs pretty well just the developers are trying to milk the hell out of the game title instead of creating something worth playing. cities XL has so much friggin potential if they spent the time to do it.

there really aren't any new features in 2012.. i think about the only thing i saw was that you could zoom to ground level(for all i know its in 2011 as well but i never tried it). hell it even uses the saved games from 2011, thats how little was changed in it.

You can do that in 2011 as well...

Snagged it and put a few hours in last night.

Very different from SC4, have to plan your strategy a bit different as well. So far having fun.

I just want a real sucessor to Sim City 4. I love SC4 so damn much.

we never will, game developers keep catering to the lazy kids that don't want to spend the time to actually have to learn how to play a game. cities XL is about as close as we're going to get and even that is dumbed down so a 5 year old can understand it.

To me, the difinitive city-building game is Simcity 4 (with Rush hour), with three mods installed - NAM, Anti-dilapidation, and Industry quadrupler.

I've been playing the game since the day it came out... really it never gets old. After not playing for a couple years, I reinstalled it and am hooked again, trying new transportation concepts and what not.

I've tried the Cities XL games and they just dont feel very involved or realistic. SimCity 4 can be whatever you want it to be. It's really enjoyable playing the game on newer hardware where you can actually run nicely.

Also the modding community for SC4 is huge.

I love reading the city journal on simtropolis, some people are sooo good at desiging life like cities on such an old engine.

Back