Cities:Skylines Reveal trailer

First person camera mod. It's called "First Person Camera" in Steam Workshop. It's not really first person (just gives you more control over the camera) but allows you to get all way down to street level. This game is so alive.

Cities_2015_03_12_13_00_59_07.png

I have duel monitors and when I hit the edge to go to the second monitor the mouse leaves the game. In almost every other game it disables that while in full screen mode. What am I doing wrong.

Also, what is the paradox account for?

No idea what the Paradox account is for...gets you a park or something if you make one, other than that not sure.

As for the mouse cursor thing, as mentioned that's because the game runs by default in fullscreen-windowed mode. There's a mod on the workshop called "Cursor Jail" that locks the cursor to the game window. Haven't tried it myself, but it might solve your issue.

Picked this up for $18+change since I had a few bucks of GMG credit. Wish I didn't miss the last 20% off coupon or whatever, but oh well.

I wish the UI and text wasn't so blurry, even with AA disabled it seems like the interface is scaled up for those of us at "larger" resolutions. And by larger I mean 1920x1200.

Only got to play for a couple hours or so, but it's a lot of fun, very reminiscent of the original SimCity games.

Strongly considering picking this up...how does this "tiles" thing I keep reading about work?

No issues with the game chugging and bogging down as the cities get bigger?

Strongly considering picking this up...how does this "tiles" thing I keep reading about work?

No issues with the game chugging and bogging down as the cities get bigger?

I haven't had any issues with the game bogging down at high pop, haven't seen anyone complaining of that either.

As far as the tiles go: Each map is divided into a 5x5 grid of "tiles". Each tile is 2x2km, the same size as the largest city plots from the most-recent SimCity game. When you start a city you start off in one of these tiles and as the city grows you get the option to buy more. In the stock game you can buy up to 9 of the 25 tiles available, but there's a mod that lets you buy all 25(you still have to unlock them as normal).

I haven't had any issues with the game bogging down at high pop, haven't seen anyone complaining of that either.

As far as the tiles go: Each map is divided into a 5x5 grid of "tiles". Each tile is 2x2km, the same size as the largest city plots from the most-recent SimCity game. When you start a city you start off in one of these tiles and as the city grows you get the option to buy more. In the stock game you can buy up to 9 of the 25 tiles available, but there's a mod that lets you buy all 25(you still have to unlock them as normal).

Coolio thanks, one other question-do you get terrain editor at the beginning over the entire 5x5 tile map?

Picked this up for $18+change since I had a few bucks of GMG credit. Wish I didn't miss the last 20% off coupon or whatever, but oh well.

I wish the UI and text wasn't so blurry, even with AA disabled it seems like the interface is scaled up for those of us at "larger" resolutions. And by larger I mean 1920x1200.

Only got to play for a couple hours or so, but it's a lot of fun, very reminiscent of the original SimCity games.

I am playing at 3440x1440 and it looks fine to me.

Coolio thanks, one other question-do you get terrain editor at the beginning over the entire 5x5 tile map?

Not exactly, but a map editor is included in the game and you can load the pre-existing maps and edit them however you want before building a city in them. Once you've started building you can't edit the terrain, there's no raise/lower etc inside the city builder portion of the game.

What do you guys do when the RCI meter has "no demand" for all three? I'm also having a really hard time with industrial areas saying something like "not enough buyers". I've got cargo rail and harbor going out of the areas, but nothing gives. Does it mean they need buyers inside the city?

Welp, had to un-install the game. Far too addicting to have around during my last semester... I'll see you this summer Cities, lol.

I am playing at 3440x1440 and it looks fine to me.

I don't know what it is, but it seems that much of the text and icons have a 'soft' edge, almost like you're playing at a lower non-native resolution or using a bad TrueType setting. Definitely running at native resolution, and even tried a few windowed resolutions and the issue persists. I have nothing forced on in my CP.

EDIT: Issue seems to be related to (or compounded by) 16x10 resolutions.

1920x1200 (16:10)

vs

1920x1080 (16:9)

Paradox forum thread about the complaint

Last edited:
Been using the nvidia DSR for this to downsample 4k to my 1920x1200, really cleans up the game, looks beautiful, but UI gets shrunk pretty bad. I don't know why they are saying it doesn't work, worked for me.

So, I've decided that after awhile....there is just gonna fuckin be traffic :D :D :D :D

Here are some shots with my subway lines and various angles.

A00B1A8BBB59F9A3BF622F61B004EBC6592C65D7

BD2540CB2DE950197E7EF0663289B49E4578494F

D2DB77FED2F6813CCF7FB6070C9723F4C9D8B1E6

I spent a good two hours going back and upgrading all possible roads that wouldn't level a bunch of buildings. Yeah. I did that. And it was fun.

Let me just say after being a skeptical ass...this game is damned addictive just like SimCity of old was.

Made it past 100k finally.. have great income and I'm slowly growing.. have one of the monuments (space elevator) unlocked.. trying to get the rest, except I can't put down a harbor because apparently none of my water connects to the outside world.. lame. Don't judge the road mess too harshly.. this is till my very first city from day 1.. once I unlock everything I'm going to make a new world to play around with.

XXFyovk.jpg

I attempted to fix traffic with some crazy bridges.. I failed.

rEROx5f.jpg

City attempt number two going much better. Traffic is getting a little backed up on one side though.

Cities_2015_03_13_09_07_29_48.png

Cities_2015_03_13_08_58_37_69.png

city.png

I think we need a screenshot thread for this game.

I keep starting a new game on a new map and seeing how things go for a short time then starting again. I'm getting a taste for it but I know if I spend too much time I will be addicted. This game came out a month and a half to late for me. I just spent the last 6 weeks off from work because of the winter. I just started working again and I have a very physical job so I can't be playing till 2am in the morning every night. I so wish I could because I would. HAHA!

I really wish this game had a demo even if it was just a time limited edition of the full game. I always want to like these games, but I don't remember ever really enjoying them. I just hate to spend the money only to play it for a few minutes or so and realize it isn't for me.

I really wish this game had a demo even if it was just a time limited edition of the full game. I always want to like these games, but I don't remember ever really enjoying them. I just hate to spend the money only to play it for a few minutes or so and realize it isn't for me.

I spent a lot of time watching others play on twitch streams precisely for the reasons you mention. And that's what convinced me to buy it.

The game is worth way more than 30 bucks when it comes to entertainment value but like any form of entertainment if it's not your thing then don't spend money on it. Just wait and get it on discount if you really want to try it. It will give you a few hours of fun worth more than spending it on something like going to a movie.

Got my new city built and it looks pretty decent.
That looks awesome!

I'm having so much fun with this game. Forgot how much I really missed playing a good city builder. Such a great way to kill (LOTS) of time.

It'll be interesting to see what the community can come up with once everyone gets to grips with the API. Also looking forward to what Colossal will bring with patches/expansions.

how many should I have?

Just under 3 million.

Also, maybe my sarcasm detector is broken today... i'm having a really hard time understanding who's posts are serious here and who's aren't. We all know it's Chicago, right?

Just under 3 million.

Also, maybe my sarcasm detector is broken today... i'm having a really hard time understanding who's posts are serious here and who's aren't. We all know it's Chicago, right?

I took his post of the chicago pic as a joke since it was so obvious.

It is a real photo, but looked a little computer generated, had no idea what city it was, I just grabbed a random looking skyline shot from Google.

city-photoshopped.jpg

Grabbed Harpers Ferry terrain from terrain.party and spent half the day map making. Getting the water right can be tricky. Then spent a few hours building this up:

Getting the hang of the tools and how the systems work in no money mode helps.

So, once your guys get massive cities and tons of industry stuff, how do you deal with Railway congestion?

I really wish someone would develop an 8 Lane Highway and like a 4 lane rail track.

So, once your guys get massive cities and tons of industry stuff, how do you deal with Railway congestion?

I really wish someone would develop an 8 Lane Highway and like a 4 lane rail track.

That is my issue now. The trains are backed up getting out. No idea how to fix it at all.

Heavy industry seems like a PITA to me. Just creates tons of truck traffic, the rail cargo depot even more so. Can't imagine the harbor, I just unlocked it but not even going to build it.

I'm just satisfying all my industry demand with offices. Seems to create barely any traffic, and 0 air or noise pollution. Kinda seems like cheating though, but oh well. Difficult even expanding your heavy industry when you have a highly educated city anyway.

So addicting...

16194944614_6d8176de0d_h.jpg

Back