Cities:Skylines Reveal trailer

With all the good reviews this game is getting.. guess I'll have to pick it up...

I love city planner....

Guess what is my day job... urban planner... nice way to forget about work playing city planning games :eek: :D

Played for a good 5-6 hours last night and a little before work this morning. Quite a lot of fun, my initial square had some traffic problems, but I demoed some crap and threw in some 6 lane roads and it fixed a bunch.. added in a ton of metro, train and bus stations / stops and I haven't really had too much of an issue with traffic.

I have two squares relatively full, pushing into a third, up to around 40k people. Only real issue at this point is trash.. lots and lots of trash and I ton of incinerators and dumps. Occasional fire here and there, but I've got so much income / money that I just drop the HQs everywhere I upgrade now.

For those that have played this.

How hard is to make decent money so you can continue to play the game. I was always VERY bad at this even back to my Sim City days on SNES (thank god for the $999999 cheat).

This is my only apprehension to getting this game. I don't want to have to grind for money in order to keep building my city.

That's how it works though. If 90% of your traffic is in one lane then 90% of your traffic wants to go that direction. More lanes doesn't equal better traffic flow. If you have a bunch of traffic lights that also causes congestion.

It depends on how prone your people are to mass transit. I remember there being a mod for SC4 to address how prone sims were to use mass transit.

IRL, studies in the USA have found that with clogged roads and highways that more lanes doesn't fix the traffic jams...because you increase the road capacity and more people try to use it.

Sounds like Skylines is assuming America like car driving tendencies.

How hard is to make decent money so you can continue to play the game. I was always VERY bad at this even back to my Sim City days on SNES (thank god for the $999999 cheat).

This is my only apprehension to getting this game. I don't want to have to grind for money in order to keep building my city.

Its all about management, paying attention to usage levels for water/electricity, looking at tax area's and property values for each district, setting each district up for special means (industrialized districts, commercial.... these are not your zones, these are districts, very important to know you need to setup both, a zone and a district).

For instance, if you notice your maxing out at 75% power usage, drop the power output to 75% which will decrease the weekly cost to run the power company, same with water.

If property values are high for an area, make it so that rich people want to live there, have the district set to residential, than set the values and taxes appropriately.

If you have ore underground in an industrial area, set the district to ore industrial, gives you WAY more money than a standard industrial area but will increase pollution, surround that area with trees and such to reduce pollution and keep ANY residential area nearby happy.

When you buy more tiles, try to make each tile appropriate for the area, if its ore and industrial, keep it that way and move the residential away from these area's.

I messed up my city pretty badly right from the start. I need to start over but at least now I have a better idea what I should do.

This thread convinced me to get in on the $22 GMG deal. I just downloaded it, now I have to wait until I get home to play... Was a huge fan of SC2K and then SimCity 4, which I still play occasionally. Maybe with Skylines I'll finally be able to uninstall SC4 and move on with my life.

This thread convinced me to get in on the $22 GMG deal. I just downloaded it, now I have to wait until I get home to play... Was a huge fan of SC2K and then SimCity 4, which I still play occasionally. Maybe with Skylines I'll finally be able to uninstall SC4 and move on with my life.

Same here, this thread convinced me to get it can't wait to try later.

I was in the clear, had held out on ordering it. Then I came here. Sometimes, I hate you guys. In for 1.

Was it a limited sale price or coupon? I see $29

That's how it works though. If 90% of your traffic is in one lane then 90% of your traffic wants to go that direction. More lanes doesn't equal better traffic flow. If you have a bunch of traffic lights that also causes congestion.

Well the main area this was backing up was a 6 lane one way with a left turn on to another 6 lane 1 way. It had a 6 lane left turn, but they would just stack up like crazy in the left lane to make that turn. Very few would use lane 2, and almost never lane 3. 4,5,6 not at all.

Seems like most cars/trucks just use the left lane anyway. Even if they are going straight through, they'll just stick in the left.

Was there an option for right handed roads? My city is left and it has been adding to the traffic challenge lol, doing things backwards.

Played for a few hours, this genre really has not improved since SimCity 2000.
This game offers nothing more (or less?) than a game that came out 15 years ago. I don't know what else I expected... There are only so many ways to build and maintain a city, you know?

Much better than that heap SimCity 2013 though. At least we're not taking step backwards.
How exactly do you fuck up a city building sim?!

This game offers nothing more (or less?) than a game that came out 15 years ago. I don't know what else I expected... There are only so many ways to build and maintain a city, you know?

Much better than that heap SimCity 2013 though. At least we're not taking step backwards.
How exactly do you fuck up a city building sim?!

By working with EA :p.

This game offers nothing more (or less?) than a game that came out 15 years ago. I don't know what else I expected... There are only so many ways to build and maintain a city, you know?[/i]

All I've ever wanted was SimCity to be updated to have curved roads and better transportation options. This game is pretty much that to me. Everything looks so much more natural than a grid city that extends endlessly even into the suburbs.

This game has its pros and its cons, but this was definitely a step in the right direction, and imo provides the base for the developers and modding community to improve upon over the next few years. Based off of my first few hours in this game, I already know I'm going to sink a few hundred into trying to build the most perfect city (in my mind) I possibly can. I spent like ~2 hours failing to build a good overpass yesterday but loved every second of it.

I'm really interested in this game and the only thing holding me back is progression. Is there much in the way of goals and rewards? Do you actually get that feeling of satisfaction and achievement once you've completed certain tasks or does the satisfaction purely come from creating a smoothly operating city?

I'm really interested in this game and the only thing holding me back is progression. Is there much in the way of goals and rewards? Do you actually get that feeling of satisfaction and achievement once you've completed certain tasks or does the satisfaction purely come from creating a smoothly operating city?
As far as I can tell, the only "progression" comes by increasing your population to unlock structures/features.

So the roundabouts are, obviously, signal free, as any roundabout should be. But they only come in two sizes and a small number of lanes. You can upgrade it to 4 or 6 lanes but that gives it traffic lights... Anyone found a work around or a mod to resolve this?

Would be great if the game had "Tasks" that you could choose to accept or not which offered bonuses and incentives. Maybe some clever modder could implement something like that.

I tried my first go with using the budgeted money but ran out quickly so I started again.
There is a built in mod for unlimited money, so I clicked that and built my city with no worries about money so I can get a feel for the game.
I'll start another game tomorrow without the mod to see how well I can build.

this is my crappy city
city-01.jpg

city-02.jpg

was building a race track but had issues with traffic direction so I demolished most of it and this is what was left.
city-03.jpg

Last edited:
Figured out why I was struggling to make money. Damn policies lol. I had no money very early on, and ran out of available power so I enabled power saving policy. Then thought I just did the smoke alarm policy in an industrial area, but turns out it was the whole city. Once I disabled those, was making plenty of dough. Banked over a couple million in a short amount of time. Much cheaper to just build more power plants than mess with policies.

Now rather than start a new map, think I'll just start a new city in an empty tile now that I've worked some things out. Then come back and doze my original attempt when I'm low on space.

My earlier post about updating buildings was wrong, these do which is cool. My first citied i used the full tiles mod + money so I can get used to this vs SC4 / Cities XL. Loving it more and more other than I need like 60 hospitals to keep people healthy :eek:

Watch the routes where you have hospitals. You shouldn't need that many. Took me awhile to figure it out.

Here is a few photos showcasing my awful traffic issue that I have just completely given up on.

69652641CF75B5F9FF7D8505CC473CD9F7EB85B1

3F4A84C10B23372ED0CA6EB3E2491AF6668B75CC

Just an FYI. I thought I had a big traffic problem until I really looked and it was cars parked on the street, not that you cant have problems.

Not causing traffic. Visually it looks like a line of cars trying to move.

The number of mods coming out is amazing. You should definitely add several of the custom intersections and overpasses that people have made, I'm using a ped walkway overpass which works great and allows you to place a park in the middle of it, BUT that park attracts crime if you don't have a police dept close to it.

I wanted to start a new city but was a little confused as to why it resets your unlock progress for tiles. I'd really like to start off with some of the more basic unlocks right from the start, instead of having to do a starter growth city that I'll end up demo'ing once i get money/unlocks saved up.

I really really hope people do some crazy building mods. I want to see Blade Runner, Simpsons, Futurama themes.

This game really ignited the classic simcity enjoyment factor.

Managed to get my first city up to 78k last night.. and then I guess due to some traffic issues, I had like 20k die this morning when I jumped on for a few minutes. Managed to get it back up to around 65k before work. I highly recommend the auto demo abandoned and burnt buildings mod.. F clicking 5 billion times for all of the buildings that burn / get abandoned randomly. I just want to get to 80k to see some of the big things, then I'll start a new city with some actual road planning / considerations.

Managed to get my first city up to 78k last night.. and then I guess due to some traffic issues, I had like 20k die this morning when I jumped on for a few minutes. Managed to get it back up to around 65k before work. I highly recommend the auto demo abandoned and burnt buildings mod.. F clicking 5 billion times for all of the buildings that burn / get abandoned randomly. I just want to get to 80k to see some of the big things, then I'll start a new city with some actual road planning / considerations.

Well, burned down needs demo sure, but abandoned can repopulate so I'm not sure if they should be demo'd.

Ok, played a bit last night. I really enjoyed it and sunk two hours in before I knew it. Started over like 3 times before I got people in the city, lol.

I was steadily making money but my city looks like crap. Might try and find that unlimited money mod and see if I can get the hang of steady growth.

Two Things:

I have duel monitors and when I hit the edge to go to the second monitor the mouse leaves the game. In almost every other game it disables that while in full screen mode. What am I doing wrong.

Also, what is the paradox account for?

Popped for it last night, and I am in heaven. Just need the modder types to give us more north American style architecture and I will be golden.

I have duel monitors and when I hit the edge to go to the second monitor the mouse leaves the game. In almost every other game it disables that while in full screen mode. What am I doing wrong.

Also, what is the paradox account for?

By default, the game runs in borderless window mode. You can launch with -force-d3d9 and the game will launch in true fullscreen, but obviously with DX9. I'm not sure what sort of impact that has on the game visually.

Paradox account, as far as I know, just makes it so your forum account at Paradox shows you own the game.

Everybody has traffic problems.
This game is 10% City sim and 90% Infrastructure sim.

While I agree that perhaps a little to much emphasis is put on traffic, the reality is thats probably not too far from real life.

How many times in your life have you been negatively affected by lack of police/fire stations, hospitals, parks, garbage dumps, etc. where ever you live? How many times have you been affected by traffic congestion? I bet it's very likely only the latter, and I bet its often. For any city that's a decent size, traffic is a huge problem.

In Cities, I think the real issue is lack of any sort of simulated day cycle. Traffic is just going at 100% all the time. That's obviously not how it works. If a city did all it's traffic collection at 5PM on weekdays, obviously it would be a slow, stupid nightmare. Doing it weekday mornings at 9AM is a whole different story. The game should have a better traffic cycle, with non-emergency services set to do their jobs during non-peak commuting times for maximum efficiency. I think perhaps they made a mistake simulating the world at the speed they do. This game simulates a day in roughly the same real-time space as SimCity simulated an hour. I know that the speed time goes by is arbitrary when the world is always operating at 100%, but I do think the game would have played better with a slower time scale and notable changes to your city based on time of day.

Back