Cities:Skylines Reveal trailer

Drheadbang

Limp Gawd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfeBpagvQw&r=1

http://pdxint.at/citiesskylines

Inhabit a world where you define the rules. Cities: Skylines invites you to create the city of your dreams in a sprawling landscape dominated by cloud hugging structures and jaw dropping architectural marvels.

Developed by Colossal Order, Cities: Skylines offers sprawling landscapes and maps with endless sandbox gameplay and new ways to expand your city. Key to progression is the ability to influence your city’s policy by incorporating taxation into districts. All this including the ability to mod the game to suit your play style makes this the definitive city building simulation.

You’re only limited by your imagination, so take control and reach for the sky!

Main features:

City policies: Set policies to guide how the city and districts develop over the course of your playthrough.
City districts: Personalize city districts with names of your choice for variety and personality.
Road building and zoning
Unlock buildings and services
Taxation: Fine-tuning the city budget and services and setting tax rates to different residential, commercial and industrial levels and controlling what kind of areas are more likely to spawn in the zoned areas
Public transportation: Build transport networks throughout the city with buses and metros
Outside connections: Make industry and commercial districts flourish with new customers in the neighboring cities
Wonders: the ultimate end-game content that the players strive towards
Huge maps: Unlock new map tiles with unique possibilities to expand the city
Water flow simulation: Add new challenges to water services.
Polished visual style and core gameplay
Modding tools: Built in feature designed to encourage creative pursuits.

Please don't suck, please don't suck, this looks like it may be the simcity 5 we have been waiting for.

I hope it doesn't suck for those of you that want a game of this genre, but when is the last time a game was made that didn't suck?

Same guys that made Cities XL too right? If so, yeah, I will grab it.

I like how the video highlights: Offline Play

LOL ;)

Colossal Order, AIUI, is the developer behind the Cities in Motion series (which may or may not bode well for this project, I'm still not sure). Cities XL was developed by a group called Monte Cristo.

Looks good! I enjoyed SimCity 5 for what it was, but I bought it cheap and knew its faults going in. It was still very flawed. I've played all the CitiesXL games and never liked them. The management just seemed too cumbersome.

Hopefully this plays more like SimCity, but on a much larger scale. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Looks good, I liked Cities XL but it felt a little sterile after SimCity 4 which just seemed to have more soul.

Same guys that made Cities XL too right?

No.

These are the guys who made Cities in Motion, completely unrelated to Cities XL(though everyone seems to think it's some new version of Cities XL or something).

That being said, there are a few Let's Play videos on YouTube if you're curious how it plays. So far it looks pretty good to me.

No.

These are the guys who made Cities in Motion, completely unrelated to Cities XL(though everyone seems to think it's some new version of Cities XL or something).

That being said, there are a few Let's Play videos on YouTube if you're curious how it plays. So far it looks pretty good to me.

Honestly, I think they made a poor choice calling it Cities: Skylines. It makes it sound like it's part of the Cities XL franchise, which is notorious for being mediocre and for releasing the same game year after year with a new name and not much else.

Honestly, I think they made a poor choice calling it Cities: Skylines. It makes it sound like it's part of the Cities XL franchise, which is notorious for being mediocre and for releasing the same game year after year with a new name and not much else.

They probably did, almost everyone I've seen comment on this game thinks it's connected to Cities XL. I don't know that being connected to Cities in Motion is much better for most people but I don't think Cities in Motion was ever meant to be a "city sim" in the way Cities XL was, more of a "transportation sim" so at least there's that.

Maybe they could have just called it "Skylines"? Or, maybe their hope is that this game does well and then they can do other games called Cities: whatever. Or maybe they just didn't think about the fact that everyone would think it was connected to Cities XL, lol...either way, yeah, they should have called it something else but I'm hoping that the game turns out to be good and that it can gain traction through word of mouth and Let's Plays etc.

Agreed. Better name would've been something like "Sim: Cities".

Or maybe "City Lights, Dreams and Reflections Down By The Waterfront: A Love Story For The Rest Of Us XL". That would be very pleasing.

Came across a video of someone playing the first 30 minutes of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmrvmGSwPnQ

I'll warn you ahead of time, the guy narrating is annoying, but it's nice to see what to expect jumping into a fresh game. The key thing I was looking for was expanding the size of your city to new grids, and he covered how that happens.

This game looks fantastic. Everything I wanted SimCity to be. I'm stoked for next week!

How many iterative DLCs can we expect for this title? :D At least Paradox's base games have always been of generally high enough quality to deserve the DLC treatment, but man do they milk it.

How many iterative DLCs can we expect for this title? :D At least Paradox's base games have always been of generally high enough quality to deserve the DLC treatment, but man do they milk it.

The really good thing about Paradox DLC is that it is always on sale for events such as the Steam Summer Sale. So if you're patient then you can score some DLC for cheap. Their DLC model is ridiculous in the amount of releases, but it seems to keep everyone on the development team on the payroll year round. This in turn ensures that the next game release is of the same quality as the last. Many other game developers switch team members so much that you don't know what you're going to get next release cycle.

Came across a video of someone playing the first 30 minutes of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmrvmGSwPnQ

I'll warn you ahead of time, the guy narrating is annoying, but it's nice to see what to expect jumping into a fresh game. The key thing I was looking for was expanding the size of your city to new grids, and he covered how that happens.

This game looks fantastic. Everything I wanted SimCity to be. I'm stoked for next week!

Liking what I'm seeing. I liked XL but got burned by the same thing after two releases (thankfully I got them cheap) and the UI / optimization bugs killed it for me.

This looks to capture a lot of the good things from XL and the good from Sim City (not 5). Cant wait to see what happens after release. Definitely added to my wishlist now though.

5th highest # of viewers on Twitch right now! Teh hype is real!! I've been watching Quill18's stream all day at work and I can't stop watching. :p

This game is going to make me ditch my new 27 inch 1440p monitor and want to go 21:9

It's completely open to modding and encouraged by the devs...theyre even allowing modders to expand the # of city tiles per map from 9 to max.

Last edited:
Watching people play this you'd swear it was SimCity. Some of the stuff is practically 1:1, things like the road building mechanics, zoning colors.

Still, I get a far better feeling about this title than SimCity. I remember the first 6-8 hours of SimCity was actually pretty addicting, before that point of realization came of it all being smoke and mirrors, a fake game built upon broken mechanics and RNG stats.

Curiously optimistic about this one. The $30 pricepoint is also way easier to swallow than SimCity's $60; in fact its only $21.86 on GMG right now.

Last edited:
Seriously, I am in.

I pre-ordered for $24 at GMG. Actually saw a VIP deal the other day for $21, but I already had it paid for. Oh well. I've wasted a lot more than $24 on other games that suck, but I don't think this will. The devs have been very open and active with the community. I've watched hours and hours of gameplay and the only complaint I can come up with is the way the highways exit as two one-way streets instead of coming together into a single two-way road. And if that seriously remains my only gripe, I think I can handle it :p

Watching people play this you'd swear it was SimCity. Some of the stuff is practically 1:1, things like the road building mechanics, zoning colors.

No point changing a familiar UI that worked great for everyone accustomed to Sim City's UI, which was probably one of the only things along with the models/art that EA didn't get slammed for.

the only complaint I can come up with is the way the highways exit as two one-way streets instead of coming together into a single two-way road. And if that seriously remains my only gripe, I think I can handle it :p

If the devs don't fix it you can bet the NAM crew from SC4 is salivating at this or someone else will mod in different ones.

I got tired of watching people putting on a show in exchange for donations and followers on Twitch and took to youtube instead... and I found a set of Let's Plays that I really like. The guy is normal. He doesn't act annoying, talk like an idiot, or make silly noises. More importantly, at least with the first video, he's taken a very informative approach. He's not just playing, he's explaining everything. I almost feel like I'm watching a tutorial... which is exactly what I want. Also, 1080p60!

Give it a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLkOrHReAWw

EDIT: The more I watch, I also really don't like how they handled power. It seems like putting up power lines can be a pain in the ass as they take up usable grid space, but it also creates problems if you zone too large and allow people to spread out. Maybe that's on purpose... but I'm looking forward to an underground power mod.

Last edited:
I'm pumped for this... may not have all the bells and whistle of SC5 (which sucked balls let's be honest) but the simulation aspect overall looks rock solid.

I watched Quill play for a good 4-5 hours yesterday and I have a very positive vibe, that and all the mods... hnnng mods.

Cautiously optimistic on this one. It looks like it totally delivers on so may counts it seems too good to be true. I have been looking for a good city sim for a while. I was excited back when Cities XL came out, but was unimpressed . Same with the latest installment of Sim Cities and XXL. I ended up re installing Sim City 4 with a ton of mods from the STEX. Pretty decent game really and a shame nothing has really challenged it to date IMHO, so hoping this one does.

Not only that, but 30 seems totally worth it. I keep wondering what the catch is. You guys/gals buying the deluxe or basic? Not sure the music and book is worth the extra to me, but wondering if I am missing something else.

This dudebro has been playing last few days, I've caught a few minutes here and there, I really like what I see of this game so far. http://www.twitch.tv/lirik

Today convinced me to preorder, just the regular though not deluxe. $21.89 out the door (GMG)

Last edited:
This dudebro has been playing last few days, I've caught a few minutes here and there, I really like what I see of this game so far. http://www.twitch.tv/lirik

Today convinced me to preorder, just the regular though not deluxe. $21.89 out the door (GMG)

Yea that guy is an idiot I watched for about 2 minutes then switched over to the tree-hugger chick that was obsessed with planting trees everywhere...at least she wasn't annoying. :p

Now THIS is what I'm talkin bout for what I want out of a City Builder, what I always wanted from SimCity but knew would never happen.

This is default tile size I reckon. Cant wait to try out 5x5 tile mod and hope my CPU will melt down. Yes I want it to melt down because that's the kind of game that's [H] and worthy of admiration

ss_cbc7d89819ce67efa012ba2a7726ac42ed677a82.1920x1080.jpg

I think that the game's default is 9 tiles. Is that 9 tiles?

You can't see the edges of the map, which means there is more playable space. I'm not a great judge of size though, so I can't really say how close they may be to the borders.

Cant wait to try out 5x5 tile mod and hope my CPU will melt down. Yes I want it to melt down because that's the kind of game that's [H] and worthy of admiration

I am probably going to mess with it... but my gut tells me I'm going to be perfectly happy with the default 9 tiles. I'm not worried about if my PC can handle more than that, I'm worried if my brain can handle more than that. A 25 tile map map makes for a lot of shit to keep an eye on!

Also, no matter how many tiles we have, there is still a population cap of 1M people, and I haven't really heard any chatter about being able to mod that. Until (if) that gets fixed, a bigger map is really only going to allow you to spread out a little more.

^ Yeah I won't do to tile mod out of the gate, I'll play it a bunch with defaults because I also hear from all the streamers playing it that it's got significantly more difficulty than SimCity, that it's not an interactive screensaver (which SimCity often felt like) and your actions matter and you can screw things up easily, to where you may even paint yourself into a corner and have to start over because you didn't plan things right.

So the risk of crashing your city because you derped something seems like my kinda game in terms of there being consequences for not playing it well.

Last edited:
Back