Cities: Skylines: Official Screenshot Thread

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
High time we had one. Point of this thread, show off your cities you've done in Cities: Skylines. Also give inspiration to others needing a creative nudge. Custom maps welcome, custom assets are welcome. Post overhead as well as other views so people can get a sense of geometry!

Only your own cities, if you please. If you use a map on Steam Workshop, please link it. Either Imgur your caps or just post them publicly on Steam and link them here...keep any embed a reasonable size.

I'll lead off with this city I've been working on:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198033536256/screenshots/

Based onthis map available on the Workshop here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413071837

Currently at 180,000. a dozen pages worth of mods. Most notably this one that makes zoning density make more sense

Could we perhaps get a sticky mods?

Awesome! I'm migrating my shots over.

My garbage collection zones and how good the coverage is, and a zoom in on the spaghetti I made, since someone wanted to see it.

A3VuqEm.jpg

WPgJ9tx.jpg

stui9DL.jpg

I just started doing that with my incineration plants.
The mods and support for this game is fantastic. I just need to plan my roads better so I don't experience congestion as bad as I do.

I just started doing that with my incineration plants.
The mods and support for this game is fantastic. I just need to plan my roads better so I don't experience congestion as bad as I do.

Well, the mod supprt is OK. Tons of buildings posted do not have proper LOD support so they fail to redraw right at different zooms. OTOH, considering how new the game is, it is really good.

Dedicated garbage zones work well. I have three of them triangulated at the outskirts of my city. Here's my city, population ~120K.

Overview
Cities_2015_03_30_20_21_03_15.png

Coming in from far away
Cities_2015_03_30_19_57_40_21.png

CBD off in the distance
Cities_2015_03_30_20_01_37_56.png

The view from hipsterville
Cities_2015_03_30_19_05_52_50.png

The heart of the CBD
Cities_2015_03_30_20_17_11_32.png

Cities_2015_03_30_20_18_29_62.png

Cities_2015_03_30_20_20_37_05.png

The airport, train station, and bus stations seem very active
Cities_2015_03_30_20_09_54_27.png

My city has too many of these making my citizens fat!
Cities_2015_03_30_19_58_51_18.png

Nice man, the city looks great and can't complain about fat n happy citizens with burger joints everywhere!

I need to redo many of my roads congestion has also been challenging. I see many of the cities that people have made and I didn't plan well... D'oh!

How the heck are you all getting these sky scrapers? Does it come with just a population raise?

They come with higher density zones that level-up in property value.

So yes they come with a population increase...but only indirectly.

Yeah, it doesn't have to do with population. If you meet all their requirements to level up they get bigger. So, Medica, Fire, Police, Garbage, Crematorium, and Land Value. Also, my screenshots have about 90% office on that map. I made hardly any Industrial.

I've been tempted to throw on the policy for city wide bans of skyscrapers just to see what would happen :D

Yeah, it doesn't have to do with population. If you meet all their requirements to level up they get bigger. So, Medica, Fire, Police, Garbage, Crematorium, and Land Value. Also, my screenshots have about 90% office on that map. I made hardly any Industrial.

I've been tempted to throw on the policy for city wide bans of skyscrapers just to see what would happen :D

Yea...at the stock population per zone, that would seriously suburban-sprawl your map out. At stock, low-density buildings like houses are greatly overpopulated (a dozen families per single residential house) whereas high-density skyscrapers are greatly underpopulated (half a dozen families for a 30-story apartment building).

I'm slowly getting there. I was startled to see 432 Park Ave (forget what the modder is calling it) suddenly jut up, but I like it. EDIT....after I posted this the city kept sprouting this building so it's kind of odd looking right now. I'm going to let it go for awhile and see what happens.

eiLVhZKl.jpg

Last edited:
New city. I'm making is very grid like, and so far this one has actually been a success. The first I tried ended up totally flopping at ~10K population due to traffic problems, but this one has one is currently ~35K strong.

Cities_2015_04_05_17_03_38_33.png

That is basically how I built my most recent city. You just plop down efficient interchanges like that every so often like you're doing. I don't have any traffic issues. Some exits/onramps will have red traffic no matter what, but there won't even be a car standing still.

I think the most effective interchanges I've found are the Turbine-U Turn ones. If you just search Turbine they come up, this photo is the one without the U-Turn ramps. Any of the ones with square turns or roundabouts are iffy if you have industrial by them.
previewfile_406269372-png.614

That is basically how I built my most recent city. You just plop down efficient interchanges like that every so often like you're doing. I don't have any traffic issues. Some exits/onramps will have red traffic no matter what, but there won't even be a car standing still.

I think the most effective interchanges I've found are the Turbine-U Turn ones. If you just search Turbine they come up, this photo is the one without the U-Turn ramps. Any of the ones with square turns or roundabouts are iffy if you have industrial by them.
previewfile_406269372-png.614

Turbines are great IME...but they also bottleneck due to how the game traffic logic basically makes all traffic stick to one lane on a 3-lane-one-way highwat...that then backs up for miles. There are also multi-lane turbine-intersections but they're also less than effective due to said pathing logic.

Turbines are great IME...but they also bottleneck due to how the game traffic logic basically makes all traffic stick to one lane on a 3-lane-one-way highwat...that then backs up for miles. There are also multi-lane turbine-intersections but they're also less than effective due to said pathing logic.

No way you back one of those suckers up! Haha. Lemme see some screens just out of curiosity.

No way you back one of those suckers up! Haha. Lemme see some screens just out of curiosity.

Yes way. They're seriously easy to backup. I don't have a city handy with the problem as I set out to fix all mine.

All you need is a serious reason for sims to (heavily) travel a highway, like say a residential district and a mostly office district (job commute) whose only road connection is a highway (public transit doesn't matter, as only 10% of your sims max ever take public transit). And watch that traffic backup. The problem is in part that sims hate public transit. The problem is also that off ramps are only 1 lane and backup easily, and by default every road intersection is an automatic traffic light....once the offramps backup, the backup spreads to the rest of the highway system-because the sims are too damned stupid in only staying in the outside-most lane.

It isn't easy to break again once you fix it (for demonstration purposes). Easiest fix was having off ramps from highways lead to 4-lane bi-directional roads as arterials at a minimum (preferably 6-lane)...and then using a mod, turn off all the traffic lights on that arterial.

I may have to take as screen shot of some of my areas. Nothing as good as some in here but I have been going from the principle that I need to destroy as little as possible since it is more what a real city would do. I also spent a while tinkering with some fun interchanges. The mod ones are cool and fun but I'm having more fun trying to come up with my own options.

Once I picked up the game play differences from Cities XL my city started doing well (except for the old parts lol) which are surviving due to the surrounding city mostly being better.

Yes way. They're seriously easy to backup. I don't have a city handy with the problem as I set out to fix all mine.

All you need is a serious reason for sims to (heavily) travel a highway, like say a residential district and a mostly office district (job commute) whose only road connection is a highway (public transit doesn't matter, as only 10% of your sims max ever take public transit). And watch that traffic backup. The problem is in part that sims hate public transit. The problem is also that off ramps are only 1 lane and backup easily, and by default every road intersection is an automatic traffic light....once the offramps backup, the backup spreads to the rest of the highway system-because the sims are too damned stupid in only staying in the outside-most lane.

It isn't easy to break again once you fix it (for demonstration purposes). Easiest fix was having off ramps from highways lead to 4-lane bi-directional roads as arterials at a minimum (preferably 6-lane)...and then using a mod, turn off all the traffic lights on that arterial.

Have you ever tried to use other roads for off ramps? I've accidentally attached roads to highways but never left them there. It seems you could create larger off-ramps.

I just typically dump my heavy off-ramp onto a 6-lane one-way.

Have you ever tried to use other roads for off ramps? I've accidentally attached roads to highways but never left them there. It seems you could create larger off-ramps.

I use 2 lane one-ways for off ramps on the larger part of my cities and it works really well getting traffic in and out and my cities depending on what region (Industrial region is screwed no matter what!).

Tried it....but it still doesn't solve the underlying pathing logic. All cars keep to the right-most lane if they ever have any intent of exiting a multi-lane highway (or street, although the rules are a bit more convoluted). And unless you use a cheat-mod like removing stoplights at intersections, traffic will backup in said arterials.

I found the trick is to merely not have any bottlenecks. As long as you have a handful of options for the cars to path through, they tended to split out evenly in my experience.

You all know this is the Screenshot thread right? There's another thread for discussion. Thanks. Mom.

I like this interchange, upgraded a highway corridor and rebuilt another highway. I did not demolish a single zoned building to put it in place, the south side was rather sparse at the time. Some tight fits but it works well for all that is going on seen and unseen.

2015-04-20_00001.jpg

Last edited:
How'd you get such large fields?

I downloaded field assets. One was even a giant pack with different sized fields. All you really do is zone small areas for farming industry, and then plop down the rest of the field manually. It servers no functionality - just for looks.

That's a cool map, do you have a closer shot on that interchange at the bottom of the last shot? Did you make it yourself or download it?

I was at 180k with mine but had a few issues which dropped me down to 165k. I fixed the impacting issues and set up for the next expansion bubble.

Nice, I'll have to look it up. I enjoy building my own but that that one is purdy :)

Back