Cisco Wireless Controller Migration

staticz

Limp Gawd
We recently picked up a set of new wireless controllers and have them bundled in an HA pair. Our old controller currently runs about 100 APs. My question is, what is the best way to migrate APs to the new controller set with minimal impact?

Is it possible to add the new controller as a secondary on the APs and then flip it to the primary controller? I know the AP will reboot when this happens (code upgrade) but would this be the best way to do the cutover?

I actually found a similar article - https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2124270

My biggest question is about adding a WLC to a mobility group (never had to do that) and then making sure my configuration is the same. Since we're going to a completely different style controller I don't want to just copy the config as I'm pretty sure it will break the 5508.

Should I just go through each GUI panel and copy the settings? This is going to be a fun project! Always something new around here.

you could try and pull the entire config off the old controller thru CLI (i used to do it with solarwinds NCM, forgot the exact commands now) and do a side by side comparison to the new controller to see if any of the syntax matches up. otherwise...GUI mode and lots of screenshots sounds like a few days of fun for your immediate future.

Can you not just get on the old controller, and set the AP's to connect to the new controller as a primary and then once they all check in take the old controller out?

Can you not just get on the old controller, and set the AP's to connect to the new controller as a primary and then once they all check in take the old controller out?

That is what I'm thinking about doing.

Only took me about two hours to run through the GUI and copy the config. Tentative plan is to add the new controller to the same vlan and mobility group. Then do what Thrash suggested, switch APs over to the new controller and let them reboot.

sounds good in theory, but i'd try/verify the plan on a subset/test group first if you can.

I've used it before, but the only difference is we kept the first controller in play. We have 1 5508 with 100 license and 1 5508 with 150 license. We just have 100 of the AP's pointed to WLC1 and the rest to the WLC2. If you have the config down it will work, as we are using it in production at one of my sites.

Back