Cisco to Buy Network Security Company OpenDNS for $635 million

Nauseous

Gawd
https://www.reddit.com/r/networking..._to_buy_network_security_company_opendns_for/

The Silicon Valley networking giant expects to complete the transaction in the first quarter of next year. The deal comprises cash and assumed equity awards, plus retention-based incentives for OpenDNS.
OpenDNS, based in San Francisco, protects corporations, schools and households from attacks and malware through cloud-delivered security services. The business will fold into Cisco’s security business group.
Combining OpenDNS’s visibility, predictive threat intelligence and cloud platform with enhance Cisco’s security capabilities, the company noted.
Last year, Cisco acquired cybersecurity firm Sourcefire for $2.7 billion and also bought malware technology company ThreatGrid Inc. The security business represented about 4.3% of Cisco’s overall revenue in 2014.

If this goes through, I think Cisco will end the free OpenDNS service and require subscriptions at some point. I can't even remember which of my clients that I've enabled OpenDNS DNS server settings on. Wait and see.

This is why I run my own resolution server.

No ISP blocks. No "sponsored" link 404s. No ISP tracking.

OpenDNS works well with my clients that surf the wrong pages, sorry to see this service shut down,
at home i use google DNS until they start censoring all the good sites ;)

Back