Cisco SG300 series now has full CLI with firmware upgrade

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Apparently the new firmware for the SG300 series switches now has a full CLI. here is the manual for all the commands http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/swi...0x/administration_guide/CLI_Nikola300_1.1.pdf

Somebody in the Cisco forums said this was a special version of the CLI for the small business series switches but it looks like the commands are the same as normal IOS?

I am going to try and upgrade later tonight to see how this is.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17023

Cisco Textview: Text-based configuration for those who prefer command-line interface (CLI) management. The CLI is full featured (the entire device can be configured solely through the CLI if so desired), and comes with multiple user privilege levels that deliver differing access depending on the user’s authorization level. A menu-based CLI is also present in this release. These configuration mechanisms complement the Web-based GUI, SNMP/RMON, and FindIT management tools that are already present.

At a glance, it looks pretty similar. I think most people could get used to it.

Still can't imagine trying to convince a customer to buy it though.

I just upgraded the firmware and got the CLi working, it replaces the menu driven one by default.

aDg0C.jpg

Bad experiences and they're super low-end.

Hi Vito - I was wondering if you could tell me some examples of where one of these might trip up or fail. Is it a matter of flaky software, or of the physical qualities of the device (heat dissipation) / ruggedness?

The SG300-20 at $400 is a very enticing value proposition for the features it provides. I do really wish it ran IOS, but firmware 1.1 seems sufficiently capable, and the $600/900 saved compared to a 2960G Lite/Base on a client invoice can go toward more hardware or value-added services :)

Basically, what is the most advanced configuration, or heavy usage situation you could see one in and not cringe?

Returned my SG300-20 today, as it was near the 30 day return period. Was nice to mess with and see the state of Cisco's SB switches. Vito, would still be interested in hearing your experiences with them.

Overall my experience messing with it was quite positive. Definitely was digging on the fanless design. Almost kept it, but I really didn't need it for anything in the near term so I figured I'd get back my cash. For my personal stuff, i have a 2950XL to play with for cisco stuff, and a GS108T for personal gigabit networking at home. (Does the job.)

As an aside, I could see myself getting a 10-port version in the future for various uses, especially if I recommend the use of cisco SG stuff for small business use. One thing I regret not having time to play with was 802.1x.

My experience was awhile back. I just hated the GUI and had stupid issues with things that should have been simple.

Ps. There's no such thing as a 2950XL. If it's a 2950, good. If it's a 2900XL, not so good.

Ah, OK. And you're right, I was incorrect about the model:

reyback# sh vers
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(12c)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Sun 24-Nov-02 23:31 by antonino
Image text-base: 0x80010000, data-base: 0x80562000

ROM: Bootstrap program is CALHOUN boot loader

reyback uptime is 9 weeks, 1 day, 5 hours, 34 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-12c.EA1.bin"

cisco WS-C2950-24 (RC32300) processor (revision H0) with 21002K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FHK0712Y068
Last reset from system-reset
Running Standard Image
24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:0C:85:4A:84:80
Motherboard assembly number: 73-5781-11
Power supply part number: 34-0965-01
Motherboard serial number: FOC071115RX
Power supply serial number: PHI061104EV
Model revision number: H0
Motherboard revision number: A0
Model number: WS-C2950-24
System serial number: FHK0712Y068
Configuration register is 0xF

Looks like it's time to upgrade that IOS, damacus.

BTW, I won't touch anything SMB from Cisco. After the crap i went through with the CE500's, never again. (Although, some of the SMB voice stuff isn't bad, but that's a different story)

I remember this thread and had a SG300 20-port switch.

I really had a bad experience today with the switch. It took me several hours to upgrade the firmware.

For whatever reason, the firmware kept getting corrupted when I tried to transfer the files via HTTP. And the management of files prior to the firmware upgrade is next to impossible. It's not like a normal Catalyst where you can erase files, etc.

There are a few other things I don't like about the switch. If you enable Layer 3 (in the console menu or CLI-lite), it completely erases your configuration (have to remember to back it up).

Speaking of backing up the configuration, you have to make sure you do it via http/https.

And the CLI is okay. I don't like not being able to back space/delete.

But the switch itself and the features present are pretty good for the price.

I just got this switch and the rebate was approved. After I fully set it up and move my lab over to it I'll let you guys know how it goes. I used it briefly last night and the firmware updated correctly but I haven't gone into the CLI or switched it to L3 mode yet. Has anyone measured how fast this thing can route VLANs?

Last edited:
Back