Cisco SG200 switch keeps polling

jim82

Weaksauce
Hello all,

Just purchased a Cisco SG200-26 (non-PoE version).

It works great, but since hooking it up to my network, my Synology NAS won't hibernate.

So I went and checked if the switch was polling, and indeed it is. Every 1-2 seconds, the activity LED on all connected ports, flashes simoultaneously.

When the LED on the switch flashes, the network LED on my NAS also flash. So I'm prone to think the switch is polling the entire network every couple seconds.

I've tried disabling Spanning Tree, and other other options that could relate to the issue, but without any luck.

Any ideas??

BR Jim

sounds like it is in setup mode, or it's conflicting with a ip.

My sg-200 works perfectly.

Did you disable CDP and LLDP? Smartport is another setting to potentially disable.

I swear these things (I have the SG300-28) have everything under the sun enabled by default.

Did you disable CDP and LLDP? Smartport is another setting to potentially disable.

I swear these things (I have the SG300-28) have everything under the sun enabled by default.

why do they do that i wonder..

OP, what port do you have as your "MAIN" in ?

Also make sure to disable any stacking and clustering stuff.

Cisco is wellknown for not prioritizing security and deliver their equipment (no matter if its in the lowrange or enterpriserange) with basically every feature (you dont want) enabled.

Thanks for your reply.

I've disabled both CDP and LLDP. Currently looking through the other settings.

/Jim

Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure what you mean by MAIN in?

Is the port that has my router connected?

/Jim

yeah from your router to the switch what port is used ?

Here is how i have mine, ( port 25 is my main in )

DSCN3081.JPG

yeah from your router to the switch what port is used ?

Here is how i have mine, ( port 25 is my main in )

DSCN3081.JPG

I think mine is in port 1 or 2. Should that have any impact? There's no mention of 25/26 being defined as uplinks?

Thanks
/Jim

For some reason, my NAS is now hibernating as it should, even with the factory settings on the Cisco SG-200.

No idea, what caused it to work again.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

/Jim

I think mine is in port 1 or 2. Should that have any impact? There's no mention of 25/26 being defined as uplinks?

Thanks
/Jim

I've always just used the up link ports on mine its 25/26. Was just the way i have been taught that's all.

Did you do the firmware update for it yet ? ( i would )

The only thing special about 25/26 on the SG200 is they are dual-personality- RJ45 or SFP. The SG200 series does not stack, so any port is suitable for 'uplink'.

Do these things have some light version of IOS or something? Always wondered, never owned one.

Do these things have some light version of IOS or something? Always wondered, never owned one.

I don't believe the SG200's have a CLI interface, just the web based.

The SG300' and SG500's have both CLI and web. Both are based off of a modified Cisco IOS.

Also make sure to disable any stacking and clustering stuff.

Cisco is wellknown for not prioritizing security and deliver their equipment (no matter if its in the lowrange or enterpriserange) with basically every feature (you dont want) enabled.

This is the exact opposite of the truth. Every new Cisco swtich I have opened I have had to turn on features I needed. But you should always be flashing the latest IOS when you get it anyways making this a moot point. Always run the same IOS on all devices.

I know for sure that the SG500 has a modified dumbed down IOS on it that is pretty decent for a cheap swtich.

Back