Cisco Routing Question

SJConsultant

2[H]4U
Let me preface by saying I have minimal knowledge when it comes to Cisco IOS,Cisco Routers, or linux.

What I'd like to know is, is it possible to configure a Cisco router in a way that default routes all traffic *except* certain subnets to an alternate default gateway?

This is the current setup - A client has a Small Business Server 2000 system that is currently configured to divert traffic destined for 10.200.6.* and 10.213.161.* subnets to a cisco router (already behind the ISA firewall and on the local area network) which connects them to their branch office and a transaction processing facility. I believe they have a 2500 series router.

What I would like to be able to do is have the client machines use the Cisco router as their default gateway and divert all traffic *except* the aforementioned subnets to the SBS server since the SBS also handles their DSL line for internet traffic.

Make sense? :p I'm not asking how one would configure the router since I do not possess the necessary experience to do so and I'll either subcontract someone to do it or have the transaction processing facility perform the configuration for the client.

I'd be open to other suggestions with the notation that this is truly *business critical* environment and requires %99.999 uptime during normal business hours. Homemade solutions with linux and whatnot are out of the question since I possess very minimal linux skills and would prefer to have vendor support for any related problems.

**EDIT :
The SBS and Cisco router are on a 10.200.8.* subnet.
Branch office is using 10.200.6.* subnet
Transaction processing is using 10.213.161.* subnet

Branch office connected to Main office via private leased line
Main Office connected to Transaction processing via (2) 64K frame relay? links
Both transaction and branch office connections terminate into one Cisco router in Main office.

Actually, this is incredibly simple. Cisco routers use the most specific route match first. Therefore, you simply need a static route for each of the networks going to the home office, and then a defaulte route (which I believe is 0.0.0.0/0) pointing to the SBS box. Therefore, traffic for the home office will be matched to the more specific routes and sent out to the home office, while anything else will be default routed to the SBS box.

Darkstar850 said:
Actually, this is incredibly simple. Cisco routers use the most specific route match first. Therefore, you simply need a static route for each of the networks going to the home office, and then a defaulte route (which I believe is 0.0.0.0/0) pointing to the SBS box. Therefore, traffic for the home office will be matched to the more specific routes and sent out to the home office, while anything else will be default routed to the SBS box.
I agree but we need more info. How are they getting into the router? You have three seperate subnets and you suggest that they're all 24bit subnets but what's the router? Is it part of the supernet or do you have sub-interface IP addresses on that ethernet port?

Also, I wouldn't try to do a whole lot with that 2500. They're not the most powerful machines and you can bring them to their knees pretty quickly with too much processing.

Wolf-R1 said:
I agree but we need more info. How are they getting into the router? You have three seperate subnets and you suggest that they're all 24bit subnets but what's the router? Is it part of the supernet or do you have sub-interface IP addresses on that ethernet port?

Also, I wouldn't try to do a whole lot with that 2500. They're not the most powerful machines and you can bring them to their knees pretty quickly with too much processing.

As I stated before, I know virtually nothing of Cisco routers. the SBS LAN connection is 10.200.8.2 and the Cisco Router is 10.200.8.1

SBS is setup with static routes of 10.200.6.*, 10.200.7.*, and 10.213.161.* . Any traffic destined to the aforementioned subnets would use the Cisco router as the default gateway.
Client machines are setup with one gateway being the SBS server.

HTH (and makes sense)

Back