Cisco router and a cable modem

brachy33

Gawd
I have a Cisco 2620 router with a T1 WIC and the 12.3.17 IOS on the router. After doing some configuration to the router, should I be able to connect a normal Motorola surf board cable modem (with an active connection) to the WAN on the router, and have a working internet connection coming out of the 10/100 eth connection on the router?? Do I need to get some sort of CSU-DSU WIC or something?? So many questions so little time...

Thanks!

Do you have it set up similar to this (I am not sure what interfaces you are actually using so this is simply an example)? As long as it's ethernet on both sides then as long as you have your interfaces, routing, NAT, and ACL's set up properly then you should be good to go...

modem------(Ethernet0/0)router(Ethernet0/1)------LAN

One question though, when you say "WAN", what are you referring to? One of the Ethernet ports that you have designated as your WAN or external interface? Tell us a little more about your setup if the above does not apply. Also, if you are not sure what all you have in the router please post a "show diag".

Hi PHUNBALL and thanks for the reply!

The 2620 router I have only has (1) 10/100 Eth port, (1) console port and the Aux port. I have recently picked up (from a friend) a WIC 1DSU-T1 card for the 2620. I was planning on connecting my cable modem to the new WIC and then connecting the Eth port to a 2950 switch and then of course on to my different machines.

Does this make sense??

To answer your question about the WAN, I guess when I think of a WAN (of course I think wide area network) but I also think of the "port" that will connect to an external network or possibly connecting right to a modem or DSL line (instead of connecting to some very expensive Telco). Is this the correct thought process on this??

Thanks again.

No, I don't think the 2620 is an ADSL router as it does not have a built in modem.

The 2620 has at least (1) Ethernet port available and I am adding in a T1 WIC, so I would imagine that makes the router ADSL capable. No??

You can't connect that cable modem to the WIC 1DSU-T1. The interface on the cable modem is an ethernet interface and it's expecting to talk to an ethernet on the other side.

You would need something like a NM-1E1R2W, NM-1E2W, NM-2E2W, NM-1FE-TX, or something similar that would fit in the Expansion slot on that router and add an ethernet port. I think you can pickup a 1E2W for around $50 on ebay (somewhere around there anyway).

Then you would connect one ethernet to the cable modem and one to your LAN, probably to a switch that all your other hosts connect to. You would need to setup NAT, DHCP, IP addresses, etc on the Cisco router then.

Hope that helps

As far as the ADSL goes, you would need to add a WIC-1ADSL instead of that WIC T1 to connect the router directly to a phone line and allow it to act as a DSL modem of sorts. Cable modem and DSL/ADSL are two seperate things.

OK. This makes sense, thanks! I do have a cable modem that I would like to use and I would rather just be able to connect a patch cable from the modem to the 2620 router and then appropriately setup the router.

Based on what you said, it sounds like I better start looking for NM-2W, for based on the link/article below, it is the only card compatible with the 2600 series routers. Does this sound right??

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800b1155.shtml

Thanks again!

EDIT: The NM-2W and other cards add extra WIC slots, which I don't need. I have 2 available WICs on the router. I think I need just a simple WIC with an Ethernet connection. Correct??

Hmm I wasn't aware the 2620 didnt support the 1E2W and 2E2W....the W stands for Wan and the E stands for ethernet...the W modules just add more WIC slots which doesn't do you much good.

You need to add another ethernet somehow, I'm not sure off hand what if any modules it will accept that will add ethernet ports, I think there is a 4 port type module that might work but I'll have to do some checking.

Hmm I wasn't aware the 2620 didnt support the 1E2W and 2E2W....the W stands for Wan and the E stands for ethernet...the W modules just add more WIC slots which doesn't do you much good.

You need to add another ethernet somehow, I'm not sure off hand what if any modules it will accept that will add ethernet ports, I think there is a 4 port type module that might work but I'll have to do some checking.

Hey thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated!

I am searching for a WIC that is compatible with the 2620 router and has a simple Fast Ethernet connection. That sounds like the ticket!

Searching...

If you can find a listing of all the NM's that work in the 2620 that should help out, I don't know that they make such a thing as a WIC w/ just an ethernet, but I could be wrong on that. I don't have much experience with the 2620's

I suppose the simplest thing would've been to have purchased something like the following and just avoided this hassle:

http://www.digitalhoop.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Cisco%2D2611-64D-16F

I would hope I would then be able to connect my cable modem to Eth0 and then use Eth1 to connect to my switch. Again, does that sound right?

I am digging through Google trying to find the Cisco doc that lists all the NM WICs that are compatible with the 2600 series router...

EDIT: One more thing...Couldn't I use the Aux port along with the Fast Eth port to make the connection between the modem and a switch??

Yes that router would work fine, 1 ethernet for WAN (Cablemodem) and one for LAN (switch/singlePC)

I 'THINK' that a NM-4E will work in the 2620, I'd reccomend you double check that though, that would add 4 more ethernets to the router. And I think a NM-1E (not a NM-1E2W) will work also, again not 100% sure on that though. EIther one would get you what you want (ability to use this router as a broadband router of sorts).

Yes that router would work fine, 1 ethernet for WAN (Cablemodem) and one for LAN (switch/singlePC)

I 'THINK' that a NM-4E will work in the 2620, I'd reccomend you double check that though, that would add 4 more ethernets to the router. And I think a NM-1E (not a NM-1E2W) will work also, again not 100% sure on that though. EIther one would get you what you want (ability to use this router as a broadband router of sorts).

Excellent find. I will investigate and see what's out there. Thanks!

EDIT: I found this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_data_sheet09186a0080091b89.html

Looks like the Cisco NM-1E as opposed to the 4E would be perfect. Searching...

Here it is:

http://www.digitalhoop.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Cisco-NM-1E

Back