Cisco question (1900 switch)

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
So I got some cisco gear to start studying for my CCNA

I have 2 1900 switches and both of them do the same thing when I access them from the terminal (hyper terminal on windows XP)

If i let them just normally boot up it keeps looping the same output over and over

If I boot them in diagnostic mode (holding down the mode button while powering them on) I get the "press enter to contine" screen, and after I press enter it starts the following loop
Code:
     Diagnostic Console  - Systems Engineering                                              
         Operation firmware version:  9.00.00   Status: valid                                                             
         Boot firmware version:  3.20                                     

[C] Continue with standard system start up                                               
     [U] Upgrade operation firmware (XMODEM)                                            
     [S] System debug interface                               
Enter Selection:                

Diagnostic Console  - Systems Engineering                                              
         Operation firmware version:  9.00.00   Status: valid                                                             
         Boot firmware version:  3.20                                     

[C] Continue with standard system start up                                               
     [U] Upgrade operation firmware (XMODEM)                                            
     [S] System debug interface                               
Enter Selection:

the loop goes forever, I can end it with the "Break" key, but after making each menu selection the loop starts again.

What can I do to make the switch operate normally?

hmmm hopefully the flash memory isn't bad. that would mean that out of the lot of hardware I got 2 switches and 1 router were bad (one good router out of 4 pieces ....)

try entering rommon and then type the following:

rommon> dev

<output here>

rommon> dir <dev>

<output here>

usually your <dev> is "flash:" or "bootflash:"

that will tell you what files are on the flash and if you have a valid IOS loaded on the switch.

I ended up sending the whole lab back, there was an IOS loaded on the switch, so it must have been bad flash, one of the routers worked correctly, the other had a "bad flash" error message, and neither of the switches gave me any love...

I have been playing with a few different simulators latley, and I will try again with the hardware in a week or 2 when i get my refund.

Back