Cisco Network and Switch for CCNA Practice

geniv2

n00b
Anyone know where I can get cheap used Cisco router and switch that is not "old unused crap obselete" in the small business world?

I want real hardware to practice on in addition to cisco Packet tracer.

also want to addd voip cisco IP Phones to the shopping list also.

ebay seems kinda risky I'm looking to get from a reputable source. thanks

Why do you think eBay seems risky (if I might ask)? For me, the only risk that comes with getting equipment off eBay is not being able to get Smartnet, but since it was never in my plan to get it in the first place, it's not a con to me..lol.

Do you have a general idea of the type setup you want?

thanks, also I'm not sure what I should get.

that is not too expensive and still actively being used by many small businesses.

I'm new and worried that the router/switch might be defecteive somehow or missing something and I don't even know it.

thanks, also I'm not sure what I should get.

that is not too expensive and still actively being used by many small businesses.

I'm new and worried that the router/switch might be defecteive somehow or missing something and I don't even know it.
Gotcha....

Truth, many small businesses use different things.

Small business range depending on budgets, but honestly, IOS hasn't really changed that much from 12.x to 15.x; newer features sure but the bulk is still the same. That being said, 1841s have gotten really cheap so I would look at those. As far as switches, I would look at 3550/3560/3750 switches and with that you should be good to go into your CCNP studies if you decide to go that far.

You don't need a router or switch for the CCNA. Just download Packet Tracer. It will do more than what is required of the CCNA. CCNP similarly can be done with GNS3. Don't waste cash on hardware unless you really want to just blow cash.

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with Shade91. I feel everyone should learn the physical connections and starting with a device out of the box using console cables and familiarizing yourself with being physical connected with the products.

If you're not looking for older used products, you are going to be spending a lot of money. There's nothing wrong with using some older equipment to learn the CLI.

There is an advantage to having the actual hardware to work with, but using emulation software comes a close second. There are a few places online that provide certification kits that will provide the hardware you want at a fair price and you don't have to worry about being scammed. www.certificationkits.com comes to mind.

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with Shade91. I feel everyone should learn the physical connections and starting with a device out of the box using console cables and familiarizing yourself with being physical connected with the products.

If you're not looking for older used products, you are going to be spending a lot of money. There's nothing wrong with using some older equipment to learn the CLI.

Right, advise him to use hardware that he won't find in any modern network design. GNS3 uses the Cisco IOS so he IS learning the actual IOS.

Use a virtual lab to supplement your physical hardware. I don't think it should be used as a replacement until you are comfortable working with the equipment entirely.

Just wanted to give my 2 Cents

Packet Tracer & GNS3 are adequate for learning CCNA Studies
When it comes to learning CCNP Route/Switch you may want to look at purchasing live gear but again it isn't necessary.

Packet Tracer wont support certain switch features like L3 Etherchannel (LagP or PagP)
It wont support Private Vlans, VlanAccess Maps or AAA
Packet Tracer wont teach you how to upload IOS Image via TFTP, Xmodem etc
Packet Tracer wont teach you how to do password recovery on eqp (Even though Hardware Dependent)
You will run into the same limitations with GNS3 as well but you can still get by without live gear.
I don't know if you are looking to get by or are out for the big bucks or just the mastery level of all this stuff
For flexibility future wise I would go with live gear integrated into a virtual lab. This gives you flexibility on learning for CCNA,CCNP, CCNA Voice, and even CCIE if you are dedicated
I have recently passed the CCNP Switch Exam and going for CCNP Route. Sometimes I overdue it but I said eff it and purchased eqp for a new lab computer as well as integration into GNS3 because I wanted to really know what I am doing. Even though there are plenty of people who get by without having to purchase any gear at all. You can do a vitual lab for learning voice but if you wanted to get a router try a Cisco 1800 series router because of the FXS Modules, 2400 or 2800 Cisco Routers. For switches the 3550 can be bought real cheap on Ebay but I would stay away and focus on the Cisco 3650 and 3750 switches the PoE version for IP Phones. The 3550 is EOL (End of Life), Doesn't support Cisco IOS 15 (Used for CCIE) and has Cisco Pre-Draft POE Features. For studying voice or using IP Phones you'd want IEEE POE spec switches.

My Future Lab as follows
Chenbro 41300-F
Intel Core i5 4690
Asus Z97-C(3xPCI)
16GB Ram
Samsung Evo Pro 120GB
3x DLink 580Tx Quad Nics
Digi CM 32 Access Server
APC AP2911 (Network Managed PS)
3x 3750 Switches
Juniper 208 Netscreen Firewall
Some Linux Distro
A Good Server Rack

Last edited:
BTW even though its overkill a Cisco 2851 can be had for cheap on Ebay as well
VPN's, Phone Features, Version 15 Compatibility etc

My Current Eqp
Cisco 3550(Selling)--Purchased @ $89
Cisco 3750 48 POE--Purchased @ $190
Cisco 2950----Purchased @$15
Cisco 2851---Purchased @ $98

Ebay is fine no issues as long as you read and look for feedback and return options.
Stay away from AS-IS, Hasnt been tested or only boots up and nothing verified afterwards descriptions

Turns out I'm looking for a couple of routers and switch for a home lab myself. Ebay looks attractive but having a hard time navigating whether or not the boxes come with the IOS or not.

Almost all the ones I've looked at say "Tested and in working condition" but no mention of what version of IOS or if it is even loaded.

I know, "email the seller". Done that a few times and I get, "I dunno what you are asking"

Any favorite ebay sellers out there?

I purchased my lab equipment from eBay, and my boss gave me an old 1841 router the company was no longer using a while back. I would resell them (2x 2950 switches, 2 low-end routers that I can't recall their model number, 1x 3640) but boxing them up and all that jazz is a hassle. I had no problems using eBay for my original purchases.

Haven't replied to this post in a while but here goes. Like Shadowspawn stated you can buy Certification Kits which come with the necessary hardware etc. Keep in mind that sometimes with those kits they may have outdated IOS or hardware that is not able to upgrade to IOS version 15. If you want to buy a single router/switch then go to Ebay search for a seller called "dedicatednetwork" I have bought equipment from him and had no issues. Super fast shipping and detailed descriptions on what you are buying. He even accepts reasonable offers made which I have done to lower the price.From previous experience I have seen most switches come with Version 12.4 IOS software.The equipment will come with some form of IOS to begin with. If not you will be stuck in rom mode if a Cisco device. To officially get an updated version you would need a license.or you can gain by other means. Another thing to watch out for when ordering is to pay attention closely to the pics. For example when ordering a Cisco 3750 you may find pics of bent Stackwise ports but everything else works. After ordering and its in your hands just check the version and let it run overnight along with running the normal commands to check fan status etc.Hope that helps.

My lab has changed since my last posts
Chenbro 41300-F Rack Mounted Case
Intel Core i5 4690
Asus Z97-C(3xPCI) Motherboard
16GB Ram
Crucial M4 500GB SSD
3x DLink 580Tx Quad Nics (Linux is Painful lol)<---------Recognized in Linux
2x Intel I340-T4 E1G44HT E1G44HTBLK NIC<----------Recognized in Both using PCI Express x4 Slot
Digi CM 32 Access Server
APC AP2911 (Network Managed PDU)
3x Cisco 3750 Switches
Juniper 208 Netscreen Firewall
Juniper J2350 Router
Dual Boot Windows 7 x64 Pro and Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Skeletek C24U-HD Rack

Will Order another
Cisco 3750 Switch
and a another Intel I340-T4 E1G44HT E1G44HTBLK Quad Nic
Possibly another motherboard to house all 3 PCI Express Cards since this motherboard was geared towards the legacy PCI slots
My regrets are searching for a motherboard that has 3x PCI slots, I should have searched for 3 PCI-Express slots to begin with since I now have found relatively cheap PCI Express Quad Nic cards on Ebay

Last edited:
you could also use Cisco packet tracer... free software that simulates Cisco networks, equipment, etc...

we're using it in one of our classes and it's super versatile.

My Current Equipment.

Cisco 1921 base
Cisco 1921 with IOS Zone Firewall (currently my active router and firewall)
Cisco 2960G 24port
Cisco 3750E with 2x 10g X2 ports
Cisco 4948 with 2x 10g X2 ports

All routers all sweetness... 2960G for sale / 3750E for sale.

Back