CIsco IOS trouble

Forsaken_Saint

Limp Gawd
I am sorry if I put this in the wrong sub-forum.

Alright i did something stupid. I accidently cleared the flash on my router in hopes of cleaning it. Problem is I also deleted my IOS without any TFTP or anything to back it up.

Is there any way to get it back? Somebody please help

thanks in advance Saint

You can do a few things, such as boot from a tftp server and copy it back over, open up a console and send a new one in via zmodem etc, but what was on there is gone. I hope you have a copy of your IOS backed up somewhere.

problem is I forgot to save a backup to the TFTP.

so basically I am sitting here with no IOS, in Rommon mode because I cleared the flash. Is there a place online where I can download an IOS in cases like this?

Ios is licensed software, meaning not free. If you just went and downloaded it somewhere, it woudl be piracy and i'm not going there.

Originally posted by Frosty_axe
Ios is licensed software, meaning not free. If you just went and downloaded it somewhere, it woudl be piracy and i'm not going there.

OK i didnt know that.

I got the router as a gift from my uncle. So i started to play with it. I assumed it was just something that went with the routers.

So basically you are telling me the router is just going to sit here and collect dust because of my stupidity

Originally posted by Forsaken_Saint
OK i didnt know that.

I got the router as a gift from my uncle. So i started to play with it. I assumed it was just something that went with the routers.

So basically you are telling me the router is just going to sit here and collect dust because of my stupidity

Not at all. I just said that there was no free legit place to download cisco IOS's, due to the fact that the software is licenced.

also, while i'm thinking about it.. If you just cleared out the flash, the config is probibly still intact. All of your configuration data is stored in the routers NVRAM, which is what you need to wipe out when you want to clear your confguration in the future.

Originally posted by Frosty_axe
also, while i'm thinking about it.. If you just cleared out the flash, the config is probibly still intact. All of your configuration data is stored in the routers NVRAM, which is what you need to wipe out when you want to clear your confguration in the future.

I knew it was one of the two.. Sadly, I erased both of those plus startup-config. :(

I think if you're at the rommon mode, the only way to get a new IOS into the router is to copy it via XMODEM (or maybe ZMODEM). That'll take like half a day or so to do, depending on the size of the IOS file. If you can do TFTP from rommon, then that will be a lot quicker.

But yeah...if you hosed your IOS, and you dont have SmartNet, you're screwed in terms of getting a version of IOS legally.

Go here:

www.cisco.com

Do a search for whatever model router and ROMMON recovery procedures. Example

800 series ROMMON recovery procedure

You can upload a new IOS with TFTP as long as you have a crossover cable.

This is a moot point if you don't have another IOS image to
upload though.

Originally posted by ksanders2006
Lasr resort,

http://ebay.com

Actually i was considering selling the router on there anyways.. But you think people will really buy the router if it has no IOS on it?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Someone who legally has the IOS would. I sold mine after I did the same thing (SOHO-91) hehe

Actually i was considering selling the router on there anyways.. But you think people will really buy the router if it has no IOS on it?

What model is it?

people still buy them if it has no IOS on it (whether they have a legit or non-legit licence).....

Back