Cisco DHCP Logging & Archive

I have someone that is looking to move their DHCP from a windows server to their Cisco Switches which is easy enough, however, they also want to retain a log of DHCP assignments so that they can track down who had what address at some point in the past if they need to (say RIAA letter or similar).

Configuring the DHCP is easy enough, and the DHCP Bindings Database appears to only hold the current address assignments, and does not archive the logs the way Windows Server DHCP does.

Is anyone familiar with a way to periodically archive all of the DHCP bindings off a Cisco IOS device acting as a DHCP server? Setting a debug level is not an acceptable solution.

I found a DHCP OID, but it is inaccessible
Code:
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en&translate=Translate&objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.380.1.4.1.1
I think I would have to enable DHCP snooping for this OID to work, which is probably a good idea, but I would think there is a simpler solution.

The though being the server fails much more frequently than the network :cool:

Any redundant DHCP options for Server 08?

I figured there was a real reason.. I moved mine from my server to my router in the lab this last weekend..

Not sure out redundant options in 2008.

I found via research that with Server 2008 R2 you can setup a clustered DHCP .... not my favorite thing in the world to configure. I setup a Clustered SQL instance running in VMware and that took me about a week to accomplish.

Otherwise it looks like people are running split-scope options with windows, basically advertising half of the IP space from two different DHCP servers.

Leave it on the server. Run a different scope on each server for redundancy. If one server fails and the other fills up and you don't have enough addresses, just add the old scope until you bring the failed server back online.

Back