Cisco ASA 5505 power brick noise & plug?

Psychor

Limp Gawd
Hi,

A couple quick questions for those of you with US Cisco ASA 5505 units.

1) If you put your ear up to or close to the power brick do you hear a whine? I've read of one other occurrence of this while searching the net. I'm curious if this is "normal" or not.

2) The female plug on your power brick... is it a 3 pin cloverleaf design or your standard 3 pin PC PSU design? Mine is a 3 pin cloverleaf.

Thanks.

1. Never experienced this... but I don't stick my head on too many PSUs.

2. I've only ever seen the clovers.

I have a couple laying around, I don't hear what you're describing.

I think the issue is just some capacitor resonance but I I'll check in with Cisco. So far that's 2 people, including me, with the noise and one without. Thanks.

Hi,

A couple quick questions for those of you with US Cisco ASA 5505 units.

1) If you put your ear up to or close to the power brick do you hear a whine? I've read of one other occurrence of this while searching the net. I'm curious if this is "normal" or not.

2) The female plug on your power brick... is it a 3 pin cloverleaf design or your standard 3 pin PC PSU design? Mine is a 3 pin cloverleaf.

Thanks.

1) I have deployed about 12 ASA 5505's and some have the whine you describe. Its random, but doesn't seem to hurt anything

2) Cisco uses the cloverleaf design to charge you 49 bucks when you loose the power cable end.

For those wondering I had Cisco send me a brand new brick. Same noise.

I think the issue is just some capacitor resonance but I I'll check in with Cisco. So far that's 2 people, including me, with the noise and one without. Thanks.

Why do I keep reading about people claiming whining to be capacitor noise? Capacitors do not whine. Who started that stupid idea? Whining is a coil (inductor and transformer) noise and is not a problem (other than being an annoyance) in many cases.

Why do I keep reading about people claiming whining to be capacitor noise? Capacitors do not whine. Who started that stupid idea? Whining is a coil (inductor and transformer) noise and is not a problem (other than being an annoyance) in many cases.

Caps can in fact make noise which can be heard. What is a "whine" to one person may not be a "whine" to another.

Back