Cisco announces its highest level certification ever

Are you kidding me??
It's like they are trying to produce a technologically savvy [design] and people savvy [MBA] cert.
Bleh. CCIE will still be the highest in my book. I'm working on being good technologically but I think I've got the people skills down :D
and $15K ? That's quite a bit ...
Have we been demoted from Network Godliness to Network Demi-Godliness >.<''

That's nothing... Microsoft Certified Master program (of which there's only like 80 in the WORLD) is like $18,000 and is like a few weeks long on-site at Redmond.

That's nothing... Microsoft Certified Master program (of which there's only like 80 in the WORLD) is like $18,000 and is like a few weeks long on-site at Redmond.

I think you're referring to the Microsoft Certified Architect program... the MCM is a bit more common and costs far less than the Architect program. There's about 235 MCA's as of the time I wrote this, and about 350 MCM's.

Counts by Type: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-overview.aspx#tab5

2.png

Are you kidding me??
It's like they are trying to produce a technologically savvy [design] and people savvy [MBA] cert.
Bleh. CCIE will still be the highest in my book. I'm working on being good technologically but I think I've got the people skills down :D
and $15K ? That's quite a bit ...
Have we been demoted from Network Godliness to Network Demi-Godliness >.<''

Different animals. IT is getting more and more specialized, just look at what Cisco has done to their other certifications. A CCIE may be a master of an area but that doesn't mean they can architect an overall new data center design. Myself, I'm looking to start the high level VMware cert very soon. I was just approved for the first exam.

The certification will be administered as a board exam and like a PhD, the candidate will be asked to defend and modify the proposal, live, in front of this board which will be composed of distinguished engineers and other subject matter experts from within and outside of Cisco.
Anyone else see the irony that you can't do this virtually?

Probably the same reason why you can't take written cert exams online...no cheating.

Plus, adding in a human review board adds in a level of unpredictability and another dimension of problem solving that will be indicative of your real-world experience.

I've got a long ways to go, still studying for my CCDA :eek:

NetJunkie-
Mmmm true. They've been breaking down "Networking" into so many fields. I guess I just gotta catch em all.

NetJunkie-
Mmmm true. They've been breaking down "Networking" into so many fields. I guess I just gotta catch em all.

That's a sure way to fail. Again, specialization is key. If you try to do it all you'll hit your limit pretty quick and end up in a lower level position/career. Go look at your best and brightest. They don't do it all. I've been dealing with some very smart, and well known, people this week at Cisco Live. None of them are spread like that.

Anyone else see the irony that you can't do this virtually?

The point, I'm sure, is pressure. I do what we call Plan and Design Sessions with our larger customers. Basically, they are architecture/design meetings that usually last several days. There is an element of pressure not knowing what will happen or what will get asked. Most likely it's you, some people, and a big whiteboard. You get to defend your design while they ask questions. Doing that over WebEx would SUCK. Honestly, these are usually done at trade shows (VMworld, Cisco Live, EMC World, etc) and the people doing these certs are usually there anyway. Makes it easy for everyone.

Hehe I was just kidding. :)

Just making sure. :) That's a path I went down when I first got in to IT. I try to keep others from making that mistake. Just put up my last blog post about Cisco Live this year. Was really good.

That's a sure way to fail. Again, specialization is key. If you try to do it all you'll hit your limit pretty quick and end up in a lower level position/career. Go look at your best and brightest. They don't do it all. I've been dealing with some very smart, and well known, people this week at Cisco Live. None of them are spread like that.
While I tend to agree with you on some points here, I also disagree. Most of the brightest Cisco/VMware/"Insert here large company" are well rounded engineers. Specializing in one technology is important and should be done by every engineer but not becoming well rounded in the other technologies is a sure fire way to lack of job security.

I can't begin to tell you the engineers I talk to on a daily basis that are stuck in their specialized job making a mediocre salary with little to no job security. Then you take the "best and the brightest"(for example within Cisco) they know a ton about a core technology and then a semi-indepth amount(what most consider a ton probably) about every other technology they can. Multi-CCIE SE's schooling VMware instructors when they took they're VCP classes, true story.

I will give you another example, Take a top of the line VMware architect. If they dont know over a CCNP level(Which in my experience dont) how can they build out a network infrastructure(both physical and virtual) that can support a global infrastructure? They can't. They would look at best practices documentation and hope that it works. So specailizing in one thing can also be a mistake. Yes, I know you're going to say thats why there are teams that do these sort of things but everyone must understand what the other team members are doing. Trust me, I just finished building out a global VTC infrastructure and now understand a WHOLE lot of video :D

Point is this, specialize in one technology but become well rounded in MANY others. You will be seen as MUCH more valuable. When you're working on large scale projects you're expected to do things other than your specialization or atleast understand every other aspect of the project.

BTW, CCA ..... Ugh, theres going to be a whole lot of confusion with the Certified citrix administrator cert ;-)

Back