Cisco Aironet 340

jxx

n00b
How hard is this AP to configure?? I am getting on on ebay so if any one has any tips that would be great.

Thanks
Will

I have a Cisco Aironet 350 series AP. I think as long as you know basic wireless terminology you should be fine. If the 340 has a web interface like the 350 does it will be very easy to configure. If you have to use a terminal program like minicom it may take some time to get used to the interface.

Originally posted by jxx
How hard is this AP to configure?? I am getting on on ebay so if any one has any tips that would be great.

Thanks
Will

Just got a 340 off of ebay. You'll probably have to update the firmware on the AP to a newer version for any decent features. Luckily it's free from cisco at:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Software/WLAN/wlplanner.cgi

Configuration is fairly easy as long as you know wireless as well as basic networking.

With older firmware using a terminal emulator like hyperterminal (DB9 cable to the serial port) is a MUCH better way to configure the 340. With the new IOS type interface in the contemporary firmware using the web admin tool is actually pretty nice and easier to navigate. If you go with older firmware you will sacrifice some speed and features as well. Too bad, using hyperterminal or just telnetting in used to be a kickass way to manage Aironet, then Cisco AP's. The IOS f'd it all up. Anyway, your getting a very nice ap. 30 mW radio but still very nice. Been awhile since I was selling these but you may have to change the pre-amble if your using SOHO gear.

Part of the frame transmitted by 802.11 devices. Long preambles use 128 bit sync fields and were used with the original 802.11 spec, 1 and 2 Mb. Higher throughput specs use the short pre-amble generally, a 56 bit sync. Short pre-amble's are theorectically better for streaming video, VoIP etc...

Back