Cisco 870 vs 1800

Proneax

Limp Gawd
I'm looking at getting a cisco 871 to route about 30 users to a DSL line, and it looks like it would handle the job ok but the cisco specs say 'recommended for up to 20 users'.

Is there any reason the 1800 series can handle more users than the 870 series on just basic internet access (not talking about VPN or anything). We tend to have a decent amount of p2p traffic.

Reason I'm looking at this is we've tried several SOHO routers and they tend to crap out once a day or so. Currently have a linux box running IPCOP but I'm having stability problems with it too...

thanks!

Different processors in each box. I have tried the 877W and it was garbage. The ADSM that the box runs on is a total hackjob of what the ASA and PIX appliances run. I eventually replaced it with a 2651 with a WIC-1ADSL card.

I've been using a Linksys RV016. It handles torrents fine, but after about two weeks it needed a reset. Just some food for thought.

you can always build one for free from an old computer (say, 300mhz or better, 128mb ram or better) that will scale to as many users as you can throw at it, handle ipsec vpn connections to other firewalls or routers, and endpoint for road-warrior vpn connections too.

www.pfsense.org

What extra services are you going to be running off the router? Ie are you wanting to run webfiltering, dhcp, vpns, etc off it. I've only setup 1 871 so far and overall it seemed to be pretty good. With that many users I'd bump up the ram in it though. If you were looking at the 1800 series you would prob be looking at the 1811 or 1812. Chances are the 1811. I want to say the 1800 series is speced for up to 50 users. If you are just running it with a very basic config the 871 would prob be fine. Want to run a bunch of stuff off it then look at the 1811.

sharaz:
Proneax said:
Currently have a linux box running IPCOP but I'm having stability problems with it too...
although I may try openbsd... pf doesn't look as robust as iptables but it might do the trick.

mike - I'm not really familiar with ADSM and I"m not concerned about the robustness of the platform, just that it can handle the traffic of 30 users with maybe 5-10 of them using p2p at any point in time. I'll probably use NAC and some port forwarding but nothing too complicated.

the price difference is really only ~200 on newegg between the 871 and the 1811.

another question: the 871 is like 350 then the 871 SEC is 500. Only difference I can tell is that the SEC has room on flash for the 28MB advanced services or whatever it's called. Is the extra 4MB of flash really worth $150??

swatbat - both the 871 and 1811 come with 128mb standard

anyway I'll be running DHCP, some port forwarding, MAC filtering and ideally QOS. Don't expect any vpn or web filtering/caching.

is the beefier processor on the 1811 worth it?

Proneax said:
swatbat - both the 871 and 1811 come with 128mb standard

anyway I'll be running DHCP, some port forwarding, MAC filtering and ideally QOS. Don't expect any vpn or web filtering/caching.

is the beefier processor on the 1811 worth it?

From your other question the SEC on the 871 is just extra software. You are paying for more features, not the extra flash memory.

Yea I know both come with 128 ram but the 871 supports 256 where the 1811 supports 384. For 200 bucks more I would prob just go with the 1811.

Back