CISCO 5505 for soho|home use....

squatpuke

Limp Gawd
At work we have a couple of ASA5520's which I NEED to learn more about (boss does most configuring but I have green light if needed)...I use the ASDM but have a tough time gettin' my head around some of the rules, etc...

I see newegg has the Cisco 5505 for about $350 and was wondering what everyone here thought about it for home or soho use?

Are the IOS's similar? That is, will configuring and learning the 5505 at home, with my own network better assist me at work with the 5520's? OR am I just wasting time and money?

btw...I have no servers (could set one up I guess) and have 3 wired machines and one wireless laptop all connected via DLink DGL4500...however, I would like the security to remotely use VPN to get into my network.

Thanks for your opinions....

Configuration of a 5505 and a 5520 are exactly the same. For home, it probably is over kill. For learning, it will get the job done.

Just picked that 5505 from Newegg myself. Sweet little box. Gives you a taste of most of the features, and if you've already got access to a Cisco.com account you can snag the latest ASDM/AnyVPN/ASA software without needing to get a SmartNet contract on top of that.

I have been in this for too long...when I saw 5505 I thought you meant a Catalyst switch :D

the only configuration differences between the asa5505 and the other models is interface assignments. The asa5505 has an 8-port switch in it, whereas the others have dedicated separate interfaces. For the asa5505 you assign VLANs 1, 2, 3 to be outside, inside and DMZ and then assign the ports to be members of those VLANs.

My opinion, if you can afford it, go grab it and start having fun and learning stuff. I don't think its overkill, I ran a Pix 506 at my house for a year before I started playing around with UTM appliances.

Back