Cisco 2800's CSU DSU?

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
We are opening a new site and my boss had a contractor tell us what to order for the new site.

We will be connecting by T1, and I don't see an interface card nor was one shipped with this unti.

Does this unti have an internal CSU/DSU or do we need an interface card? I know I'm not really that upto speed on WAN Networking and reading the quick start guide I've found two different sections that seem to suggest different things.

Little help.

you'll need a WIC with an onboard CSU/DSU if your provider doesn't have an external CSU/DSU.

Thats what I thought, the wording on the connection page made it sound as if it could although on the second page it said it could not.

You could also go with the Multiflex T1 card - they have 1 and 2 port models. These can be used for PRIs as well as data T1. Part numbers:

VWIC-1MFT-T1= (~$1,300 MSRP)
VWIC-2MFT-T1= (~$2,000 MSRP)

I've always wondered what the benefit of using a Cisco router is
over just setting up a *Nix router?

Enterprise grade equipment, enterprise level support. Anybody using a *nix distro as a router in an enterprise environment needs to be shot.

There are many advantages and disadvantages, depending on your situation. For starters, its going to be a lot easier to find someone with Cisco know-how who can help with routers than a Unix geek who knows your routing software (not to mention the awesome TAC center from Cisco if you have a support contract). No hard drives to worry about is also nice. Finding a interface card for a PC to terminate a T1 isn't trivial, but CSU/DSU WICs for Cisco devices are easy to find, and work well without having to download some weird driver and pray that it compiles and links without error. If you are having issues, the Cisco devices have lots of good troubleshooting ability built-in to them as well.

Using a PeeCee running some Unix might work decently for LAN-only routing, but if I had a budget, I'd always pick a device born and bred to be a router (running software that is designed to be a router).

Back