Cisco 1841

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
So I was given one of these for free at my internship. It was pulled from their network recently after they moved their exchange servers to their corporate location. It has a T1 card in it as well. I have the console cable, but I will need to locate a Serial-to-USB adapter to use it.

Is this something worth practicing on and even deploying in a small network?

Thanks!

Yes, I have 2 x 1841s and I love them, for small networks where you need VLAN routing for access not for streaming media or moving large files between vlans they are really solid boxes.

Awesome. I'll have to pick up some switches, so I can set up a little lab to learn on.

So would this router be worth installing in an upcoming small business network I'll be doing for my family?

I think 1841s are still viable. For business I would like to have some sort of support though.

Can anyone tell me how to do a factory reset on this router? I don't have access to the username and password that was set on the router.

Thanks!

I should have been more specific. I'm in hyperterminal, but I am prompted for a username and password. Are there specific commands or another way to do a hard reset?

If you follow the procedure I gave you, you should be able to change the password on the router and keeping the config. You can also wipe the config if you want. The username part can be changed too (I guess)
router#configure terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
router(config)#username russ password montecito
router(config)#username cindy password belgium
router(config)#username mike password rottweiler

Last edited:
If you follow the procedure I gave you, you should be able to change the password on the router and keeping the config. You can also wipe the config if you want.

How would I wipe the config?

I read over the guide; however, I am having issues with the break command during the power cycle. Doesn't seem to be working, as after a while the log-in prompt comes up again.

Thanks!

Question on when to send the "break" to the router. Should I do it as soon as I turn the router on or what? The tutorial you posted says that some start up commands will show, but none show on my terminal window.

Thanks!!

Nevermind I got it to work. Switched to Putty! I will report once I have reset the device. Thank you very much for your help, Metraon

Reset is a success. Will have to play around with the router now. I have no experience with the Cisco CLI. Thanks!

Haha ! Glad it worked :) There is some good tutorials on youtube about Cli, in the beginning it can be overwhelming but you get the hand really fast and its quite powerful !

Haha ! Glad it worked :) There is some good tutorials on youtube about Cli, in the beginning it can be overwhelming but you get the hand really fast and its quite powerful !

Good to know, I will have to look into them. If I can get familiar with this 1841, I may buy a 1921 for the network I'm planning to install for a family member's office this summer :D

Back