Cisco 1720 Question

DVAmon

2[H]4U
Hello All,

I recently got ahold of 2 Cisco 1720s and I have a 3548-XL switch. I have to setup a network for a small business and was intending on using VLANs. Whenever I try to enable subinterfaces on the fixed FastEthernet port of the 1720 to enable an 802.1q trunk link, I get an % Unrecognized Command. When I do Sh Enc at the config mode prompt the encapsulation command is there...does anyone know if the 1720s are capable of trunking? I have gotten conflicting answers...some say with a particular IOS, others have said the processor is not suited for trunking.

Thanks in Advance,
-DVA

the smallest router i ever did trunking on was a 2600. i tried on a 1700, but mine failed too.

Yea I have the IOS version of the 12.2(4)XM installed in the 8 Flash 32 DRAM flavor of IP/FW IOS...but it doesn't work. On Tek-Tips, someone pointed me that way, and on dslreports someone says that it is unsupported on the 1720s but works on the 1721s. The FA0 Port doesn't support trunking, which is odd since "supposedly" all Fast Ethenet ports support trunking. I guess it's either a 1721 or a 1760 modular router for this client. I'll probably put them in FS/FT or on Ebay.

-DVA

Back