Cisco 1142n on home network

apopleptic

Limp Gawd
Okay, so I had wired my house with cat6 and cat5e a while back and was running a simple network with just a FV220 dsl modem and an unmanaged 16 port gigabit switch.
Now the network has expanded and includes the unmanaged switch upstairs and a 3com 4200g in the basement set up as simply as I could make it.
I went to add an 1142n and went through the difficulty of making it stand alone and etc, and I had it working completely when it was upstairs connected directly to the modem. When I connect it to a switch, any of 3 switchs, it refuses to make a connection.
At first I thought it was my modem being a PITA, but I moved a Linksys e3200 (so I could better manage DHCP) after the modem and the same issue...
I also tried making a bypass for the POE injector so that there is a direct connection for the 2 pair for data being injected with the 48v, but exactly the same thing.
Before it is asked, the POE is being injected after the switch.
Error was something along the lines of negotiating DHCP.
Static IP had a similar hangup and no link, but I don't recall the error.
Any suggestions before I just make a big long home run of fresh cable? I don't want to do a home run if I don't have to since the console is coming from the server in the basement.

Can a client still connect to the wireless and get a network/internet connection?
The WAP only needs an IP for management.

No. The startup just hangs there. Never gets to the point of broadcasting the ssid.

have you consoled on to it during boot to see if it logs anything useful?
I'm assuming other devices get DHCP responses when plugged in to the same switch and port that the WAP is having issues on?

When I walk away for some time and come back this is what I have:
Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete TIMEOUT !
done
Ethernet speed is 10 Mb - HALF duplex
The system has encountered an error initializing
the Ethernet port.
The system is ignoring the error and continuing to boot.
If you abort the system boot process, the following
commands will re-initialize Ethernet, TFTP, and finish
loading the operating system software:

ether_init
tftp_init
boot

Loading "flash:/c1140-k9w7-mx.153-3.JAB/c1140-k9w7-mx.153-3.JAB"...############

File "flash:/c1140-k9w7-mx.153-3.JAB/c1140-k9w7-mx.153-3.JAB" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x4000
executing...
enet halted"

SSID eventually started broadcasting but no IP is handed out.

sounds/looks to me like it's unable to auto-negotiate link speed, based on this:
Code:

The 1142n is gigabit, right? We have a couple of those around, but I can never remember off the top of my head.

try this:
Code:
interface gigabitethernet0
duplex full
speed 1000

That fails, try speed 100 instead of 1000.
Additionally, can always try duplex half instead of full also.

We've had issues where Cisco devices have trouble auto-negotiating link speed with non-Cisco devices, although not as prevalent now-a-days.

sounds/looks to me like it's unable to auto-negotiate link speed, based on this:
Code:

The 1142n is gigabit, right? We have a couple of those around, but I can never remember off the top of my head.

try this:
Code:
interface gigabitethernet0
duplex full
speed 1000

That fails, try speed 100 instead of 1000.
Additionally, can always try duplex half instead of full also.

We've had issues where Cisco devices have trouble auto-negotiating link speed with non-Cisco devices, although not as prevalent now-a-days.

1142n is gigabit, but the POE injector brings it down to 100mb.
I rewrote the config to include the lines you suggested and it still gives a timeout error, but then after that it seems to recover and grab an IP and now it seems to be working with a 100mb duplex connection.

I'm happy enough, a delay of a minute or so on boot is fine by me.

Thanks for your help. Now I just
need to put the cabled in through the closed ceiling in my livingroom and mount it up there.

Back