Circuit City XBox 360 Re-Release

EQTakeOffense

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone. The Xbox 360 is going to have a re-release this comming Sunday at all Circuit City's with around 20 systems per store. =) If you've been looking for one, this Sunday is the day.

You mean they are still out of stock in some places?

They are collecting dust on the shelfs around here.

Yes they are still out of stock on some places...like St Louis. Luckily I was able to find one at best buy yesterday. The had gotten 2, thats right 2, in stock. One core and one premium. After being out for four months MS should be embarrassed about these shortages.

DeathCloud said:
Yes they are still out of stock on some places...like St Louis. Luckily I was able to find one at best buy yesterday. The had gotten 2, thats right 2, in stock. One core and one premium. After being out for four months MS should be embarrassed about these shortages.

They're saving millions of dollars by not throwing out so many consoles at once. I don't think they're embarassed about that.

It's an unfortunate byproduct of selling your product at half of what it costs you to make it.

Sony will be doing the same thing...as they did for the PS2.

^^^
You beat me to it... when they're losing a few hundred bucks per console, do you expect them to have tons on the shelves? Of course not. It will be the same for the PS3. The only exception MAY be Nintendo's system. But then again, they might take a small hit as well. This is to be expected for a long while after launch. It's still pathetic, I agree... but it's necessary to prevent Microsoft from losing another 4 billion. That said, with such a staggered release schedule, who knows if they can hit their "10-12 million" year-end target.

Well, it depends how big the demand for the XBox 360 is. To be honest, I don't think there is a huge demand for it right now, but in any case, just because they lose money on each console doesn't mean it's cheaper for them to sell less. On the contrary it could actually be more profitable for them to produce more.

Think about it like this, if the demand is fairly inelastic then Microsoft can produce more units and sale them for a higher total revenue. Meaning, the could make more money if the produced more, now that's not profits, the would lose more money becase of the hit they're taking, but, honestly I think they're more concered about Market share then making a profit. If the buisness model is to take a lose on the console and make it up with game sales, then if they produce more units they would make a much higher revenue, and since they make their money on game accesories they would as a result make higher profit.

So, they produce more units, take a bigger hit but make a higher total revenue. All they have to do is figure out how much the average gamer buys in accesories and make sure that the total additional revenue from that is equal to the hit they take at x number of units and they break even.

If Microsoft can only afford to send us 10 consoles a month and that be the break even point, then they are taking a HUGE and is a disaster in terms of profitability. If it is a shortage, then it is a disater in terms of profitability. So either way, Microsoft is in a no win situation.

EQTakeOffense said:
Well, it depends how big the demand for the XBox 360 is. To be honest, I don't think there is a huge demand for it right now, but in any case, just because they lose money on each console doesn't mean it's cheaper for them to sell less. On the contrary it could actually be more profitable for them to produce more.

Think about it like this, if the demand is fairly inelastic then Microsoft can produce more units and sale them for a higher total revenue. Meaning, the could make more money if the produced more, now that's not profits, the would lose more money becase of the hit they're taking, but, honestly I think they're more concered about Market share then making a profit.

I didn't bother spelling out the reason why they're saving money because I have said it so many times before...but...

The price of these components degrades overtime more dramitically than say... A stereo system.

In any event... Companies usually don't sell products at 50% of their cost. Just hard cost for the product itself... no R&D, no wages for employees to put together the machine, no maintenence for the machinery, etc.

Now you are right to say they can help pay for that other stuff with the money they'd get from the systems but they're losing money on each system as they sell them. It's not like the economic philosophy of opening your store on a holiday even though you'll get very few customers because you lose LESS (while still not netting anything) and can use the profit you do get to pay for some of the fixed costs you have anyway (whether open for business or not)

This is completely separate. They're losing money on each and every console they sell.

So... If they produce them in 3 week intervals (or whatever it is...I have no idea obviously just guessing) and every 3 weeks the components are 1 cent cheaper a piece (again...the price would be more dramatic but I'm just throwing in #'s)

Multiply 1 cent by every component by every machine = your total savings. The # would be in the millions....even with a 1 cent difference. So while they're still losing money they're losing less.

bandit390 said:

yeah, in my immediate area of Atlanta, every time i go in a BB or CC they are sold out and tell me they sell out of new stock within a few hours of availability, although i am not exactly "hunting" for one, pretty sure i could find one if i tried, the day i buy one is the day i just happen across some and there's 15 on the shelf and no lines or waiting to get one and i am not being "sold" on a $800 bundle deal....

jtsnewo4 said:
premiums pretty much sell out as fast as they are stocked here in Indy.

Yeah...people walk into a store and see 8 core and 1 premium machine and then say "OMG I can't believe people can't get a 360 they're so abundant" but it's not the case.

The demand for this machine is insane....even the core but especially the premium

I'm getting to the point now where I really want one as well.

The combo of Fight Night/Oblivion/Condemned has really got me wanting to play.

They had some premiums around last week, I was checking for a friend, I don't know what the shipments are like around here though, so I'll just keep watching.

jtsnewo4 said:
premiums pretty much sell out as fast as they are stocked here in Indy.

My suggestion, look at some of the further areas, say an hour or so out. My wife walked into a Walmart in Rushville and they had a Premium and a couple of cores just sitting on the shelf. I'll let you guess which one I got. ;)

Rich Tate said:
I'm getting to the point now where I really want one as well.

The combo of Fight Night/Oblivion/Condemned has really got me wanting to play.

They had some premiums around last week, I was checking for a friend, I don't know what the shipments are like around here though, so I'll just keep watching.

As someone who's played each and every 360 game I can tell you there's more than that.

Amped 3 is a must own as well. PGR3, DOA4, and if you like basketball or hockey the 2k6 games are good as well.

The Outfit, GRAW, Blazing Angels, etc etc etc. There is a long list of titles that will be outstanding that are coming very soon

p[H]ant0m said:
My suggestion, look at some of the further areas, say an hour or so out. My wife walked into a Walmart in Rushville and they had a Premium and a couple of cores just sitting on the shelf. I'll let you guess which one I got. ;) ]

LOL!, I just like to watch stock on the 360 inventory tracker. I got mine launch day. :p

WorldRunner said:
As someone who's played each and every 360 game I can tell you there's more than that.

Amped 3 is a must own as well. PGR3, DOA4, and if you like basketball or hockey the 2k6 games are good as well.

The Outfit, GRAW, Blazing Angels, etc etc etc. There is a long list of titles that will be outstanding that are coming very soon

Oh I never had any question that I would want one this round. I knew the titles would come, I just didn't think this soon. ;)

But this is about right, I bought my PS2 about the same time.

bandit390 said:

They are sold out in the US, Europe, Mexico, Korea and Hong Kong is stopping pre orders because they will not get enough on their primary shipments.

So a few 360s in your area are on a shelf, COOL ? The rest of the world is still lining up to buy one and/or paying a few hundred more on eBay to get their hands on one.

steviep said:
^^^
You beat me to it... when they're losing a few hundred bucks per console, do you expect them to have tons on the shelves? Of course not.
why do people always assume there's a big microsoft conspiracy to withhold consoles? if your theory were true, that would mean that the consoles have already been manufactured, which means that microsoft has already eaten the costs.

they could sell them now, for 300-400 bucks each and lose some money, or they could hold onto those consoles and sell them later for the same price, losing the same amount of money, or after they cut the prices, losing even more money.

either way, microsoft is going to lose money on the consoles that have already been produced, so they can either sell them now or sell them 6 months from now, it makes no difference.

p[H]ant0m said:
My suggestion, look at some of the further areas, say an hour or so out. My wife walked into a Walmart in Rushville and they had a Premium and a couple of cores just sitting on the shelf. I'll let you guess which one I got. ;) ]

I've yet to see any in stock in West Lafayette, then again, it's a college town.

ScotteusMaximus said:
why do people always assume there's a big microsoft conspiracy to withhold consoles? if your theory were true, that would mean that the consoles have already been manufactured, which means that microsoft has already eaten the costs.

they could sell them now, for 300-400 bucks each and lose some money, or they could hold onto those consoles and sell them later for the same price, losing the same amount of money, or after they cut the prices, losing even more money.

either way, microsoft is going to lose money on the consoles that have already been produced, so they can either sell them now or sell them 6 months from now, it makes no difference.

Obviously you're not following what I'm saying even closely.

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy...I'm saying it's a smart business decision...and I rarely EVER blame a company for that.

My point is that they're NOT manufacturing the consoles now. To say that assumes they've already bought the parts... (can't build it with out the parts)

If you were to buy a 360 today...the manufacture date would be in January or February... Not November.

The parts would have been purhcased recently and at a savings over what they cost in November. So now instead of $800 to produce its $700 or $750 or whatever it is... Mutliply that by the millions of units they will produce over the coming months when their real good titles come out and you have millions in savings.

There are multiple other reasons as well... This is just one of them. Not a conspiracy...Just a business decision

theNoid said:
They are sold out in the US, Europe, Mexico, Korea and Hong Kong is stopping pre orders because they will not get enough on their primary shipments.

So a few 360s in your area are on a shelf, COOL ? The rest of the world is still lining up to buy one and/or paying a few hundred more on eBay to get their hands on one.

I live in Louisiana. so they are not sold out in the U.S. I just called best buy and circuit city for fun and they still have them (prem/core) Give me an extra $150 and i'll go pick one up and mail it to you. Taking orders now....=)

WorldRunner said:
Obviously you're not following what I'm saying even closely.

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy...I'm saying it's a smart business decision...and I rarely EVER blame a company for that.

My point is that they're NOT manufacturing the consoles now. To say that assumes they've already bought the parts... (can't build it with out the parts)

If you were to buy a 360 today...the manufacture date would be in January or February... Not November.

The parts would have been purhcased recently and at a savings over what they cost in November. So now instead of $800 to produce its $700 or $750 or whatever it is... Mutliply that by the millions of units they will produce over the coming months when their real good titles come out and you have millions in savings.

There are multiple other reasons as well... This is just one of them. Not a conspiracy...Just a business decision

I seriously doubt it. There may be some small cost of manufacturing advantages to be had by waiting a few months but they would be far surpassed by the added costs of waiting. This is Microsofts golden hour, they busted their ass for four years to get the 360 out for this past Christmas, ahead of Sony, and now you think their just going to sit on their butts to save a few bucks on manufacturing? No way. At this stage the public is buying 360's as fast as Microsoft can make them, at full price, with virtually no mainstream advertising campaign. By this Christmas that will all change, Microsoft is going to have to start competing. The 300 and 400 dollar price points we see now are the highest price we will ever see for the 360. At some point they are going to have to drop the price when the competition heats up. Better to sell as many consoles as possible now, at the higher price. Not only that but they are going to have to start a multi-million dollar advertising campaign to lure people away from Sony and Nintendo to their offering.

On top of that every person that is denied a 360 now due to shortages is someone that may decide to forgo the 360 and wait for the PS3. And even if they do eventually get a 360 if they didn't get it until a year after they would have bought it that's a years worth of game sales that Microsoft is out. Say each person would buy 4 games per year on average, times 50 bucks a game, times several million customers that were forced to wait a year to get a console...that's a lot of lost revenue.

No, I don't believe for a second that Microsoft would purposely delay manufacturing, there are way too many advantages to be had by getting a jump on Sony.

ElBarto79 said:
I seriously doubt it. There may be some small cost of manufacturing advantages to be had by waiting a few months but they would be far surpassed by the added costs of waiting. This is Microsofts golden hour, they busted their ass for four years to get the 360 out for this past Christmas, ahead of Sony, and now you think their just going to sit on their butts to save a few bucks on manufacturing? No way. At this stage the public is buying 360's as fast as Microsoft can make them, at full price, with virtually no mainstream advertising campaign. By this Christmas that will all change, Microsoft is going to have to start competing. The 300 and 400 dollar price points we see now are the highest price we will ever see for the 360. At some point they are going to have to drop the price when the competition heats up. Better to sell as many consoles as possible now, at the higher price. Not only that but they are going to have to start a multi-million dollar advertising campaign to lure people away from Sony and Nintendo to their offering.

On top of that every person that is denied a 360 now due to shortages is someone that may decide to forgo the 360 and wait for the PS3. And even if they do eventually get a 360 if they didn't get it until a year after they would have bought it that's a years worth of game sales that Microsoft is out. Say each person would buy 4 games per year on average, times 50 bucks a game, times several million customers that were forced to wait a year to get a console...that's a lot of lost revenue.

No, I don't believe for a second that Microsoft would purposely delay manufacturing, there are way too many advantages to be had by getting a jump on Sony.

Couldn't have said it better myself. We have been saying this since day 1. MS is trying its best to get a jump, these aren't created shortages.

My friend got word this morning from the xbox 360 online tracker that the local circuit city has them in stock. He went during his lunch break and asked one of the employees if he could get one and before he could say anything, the asshat dept. manager runs over and says "No, we dont have any 360's in stock, you'll have to wait." and rounds up the other employees as to tell them not to sell to people :rolleyes: That's quite annoying.... The guy at Bestbuy tried to do the same to me until i showed him the text message on my phone that says they had them in stock... he reluctantly went in the back and grabbed me one.

MasterShredder said:
My friend got word this morning from the xbox 360 online tracker that the local circuit city has them in stock. He went during his lunch break and asked one of the employees if he could get one and before he could say anything, the asshat dept. manager runs over and says "No, we dont have any 360's in stock, you'll have to wait." and rounds up the other employees as to tell them not to sell to people :rolleyes: That's quite annoying.... The guy at Bestbuy tried to do the same to me until i showed him the text message on my phone that says they had them in stock... he reluctantly went in the back and grabbed me one.

The stores creating all this hype really grates on me as well.

You are willing to spend at least 400 of your hard earned dollars before taxes but you have to wait because of a store generated riot intended to boost other sales?! Bullshit. If it is one thing we can learn from the launch of the 360, its how retail outlets can really eff things up.

at the store I work (CompuSmart) we had a premium laying around since early january, someone only bought it a few days ago, I SWEAR it had like an inch of dust on it, lol (I din't buy because I'm just a poor guy who works at the store, like everyone else in the store, even the managers make shit all money :p)

My friends told me there were some in the atlanta area. But they were wrong. Guess april 1st is the day to get em.

MasterShredder said:

So wait...you're mad at the store for not selling you one because a inventory tracker that they don't control told you that they had one? It's illegal for a store to advertise they have a product and then not have it... That's why they're holding them back for Sunday when they have an ad for them.

WorldRunner said:
So wait...you're mad at the store for not selling you one because a inventory tracker that they don't control told you that they had one? It's illegal for a store to advertise they have a product and then not have it... That's why they're holding them back for Sunday when they have an ad for them.

I'm not mad, I already have one... but he was pretty pissed that he drove out there and they had them, but the guy wouldn't sell it to him. The day I got my 360, I called Bestbuy and asked if they had them. He said no. I got in the car and drove out there and then the guy reluctantly went in the back and got one for me.. I dont see the big fucking deal. If you have something in stock, and someone's willing to buy one, why not just fucking sell it?!?

MasterShredder said:
I'm not mad, I already have one... but he was pretty pissed that he drove out there and they had them, but the guy wouldn't sell it to him. The day I got my 360, I called Bestbuy and asked if they had them. He said no. I got in the car and drove out there and then the guy reluctantly went in the back and got one for me.. I dont see the big fucking deal. If you have something in stock, and someone's willing to buy one, why not just fucking sell it?!?

That was my point... Sure it's frustrating but these companies are bound by the laws. Sure they can sell YOU one of their excess 360's that they may have gotten but they have to have enough stock to cover the ad coming up.

These big box retail stores make their ads weeks ahead of time. So if they put a 360 in their March 5th ad... they have to have "X" amount of 360's in stock to cover that ad. They get them in ahead of time...maybe 3-4 days or even a week...but they can't sell them because of the ad.

If there's no ad coming up then they go on the shelves...first come first serve. Otherwise they have to hold that stock back.

WorldRunner said:
That was my point... Sure it's frustrating but these companies are bound by the laws. Sure they can sell YOU one of their excess 360's that they may have gotten but they have to have enough stock to cover the ad coming up.

These big box retail stores make their ads weeks ahead of time. So if they put a 360 in their March 5th ad... they have to have "X" amount of 360's in stock to cover that ad. They get them in ahead of time...maybe 3-4 days or even a week...but they can't sell them because of the ad.

If there's no ad coming up then they go on the shelves...first come first serve. Otherwise they have to hold that stock back.

I definately understand that, but instead of being a dick and saying they dont have any, he could have politely hinted to check back on sunday or something to that effect.. Hell, he could have even said that they get their stock on Sunday... but instead, he chose to be a dick.

MasterShredder said:
I definately understand that, but instead of being a dick and saying they dont have any, he could have politely hinted to check back on sunday or something to that effect.. Hell, he could have even said that they get their stock on Sunday... but instead, he chose to be a dick.

Yeah, he should have been polite, however, anybody who's ever worked in retail understands his position too.

El Nacho said:
cant find any in the cincinnati area :(

The Tri-County Best Buy had a pile of 360's at one time, but I believe they were all cores. People can find them now, but it's a matter of being diligent. I just feel sorry for what those people without a 360 have been missing. There are so many people complaining about practically every aspect of the 360, but it's by far the most impressive console that has probably ever been released. A price tag of $400 that gives you some high end equipment, xbox live, the arcade, and 18-19 launch titles. It's amazing how the other !!!!!!s are still complaining, especially when they have been let down and don't have anything. They are complaining because the very system they wanted to fail and be bured 6 feet under, is succeeding and selling extremely well.

I felt pretty much between a rock and a hard place when I purchased my "Core" version.

I felt that if i waited any longer, I'd end up finding another core, but no premium. Then on top of that I knew that if I did end up getting the Core I'd be without a Harddrive.

The thing that pushed me over the line to buy the core version was the fact that in my current living situation I do not have broadband cable available in my apt (i am currently using the net via a wireless connection that some shmoe is not smart enough to place a WEP on). In fact it is 1 of about 3 in my area that I can connect to.

So, anyway, as of now, I own a 360. However, I don't have a harddrive because I cannot find them ANYWHERE!!!! It appears the end of March, beginning of April is going to be the time that I am able to get my harddrive. By then I will have broadband....hell, hopefully by the end of the week for GR:AW

ebay has hard-drives for retail prices....ebay has EVERYTHING xbox related pretty much now for retail or a couple percent higher....

Yea we have ton's of HD's where I live, every electronic based store will have 360 harddrives, but no 360's.

junehhan said:
The Tri-County Best Buy had a pile of 360's at one time, but I believe they were all cores. People can find them now, but it's a matter of being diligent. I just feel sorry for what those people without a 360 have been missing. There are so many people complaining about practically every aspect of the 360, but it's by far the most impressive console that has probably ever been released. A price tag of $400 that gives you some high end equipment, xbox live, the arcade, and 18-19 launch titles. It's amazing how the other !!!!!!s are still complaining, especially when they have been let down and don't have anything. They are complaining because the very system they wanted to fail and be bured 6 feet under, is succeeding and selling extremely well.

yeah i've seen the cores, but no premiums :( Tri-County is right downt th street from me.

My buddy let me use his for a few weeks while he was looking for a new TV. After using it, I'm no longer a sony whore :)

Back