Circuit City Jacks Up Prices For Liquidation

Just so you people don't look ignorant, Circuit City is done and gone. These sales are not made by 'Circuit City' as we knew it. Circuit City's inventory is now owned and sold by a liquidator and they are in control of the price, just like CompUSA was. It's pretty much Circuit City in namesake only.

And the Liquidator (atleast in my area) is the same scumbags who closed out Office Depot in my area because they were one of the stores dropped. It's usually the same company, and they do the same bullshit 10-30 percent off in the beginning, which is usually the same everday price after they jack the prices up.

atleats they're going out like they existed....they were always overpriced from competitiors. I have no idea who put together their business plan, but with a worse return policy, shit customer service, and higher prices...this bancruptcy is no surprise.

Ha,
I just went into a Circuit City yesterday in Saugus, MA and the prices sucked. Some of the stuff there was more expensive then regular prices things at Best Buy around the corner. Was looking to but a Canon HV30 camcorder, it was $810.00!!!!!!!!! Before that the most I have even seen it at was $650 - 679. Who are they kidding? Some people were going crazy buying up "deals" though. Ugh

I went to the CC in San Diego, all the new good stuff was sold online via CC website. CC only had open and demo products for sale. I saw alot of people in the store buying the demo and open/return products with sale tickets of 30% off which was still the same price AS NEW! I started to laugh and realize that when people see a sale or going out of business event, people flock in herds like sheep! I left with nothing in hand, but went to big lots and picked up DVD's and Computer Games for $2 and $4 a piece. Plus I got 20% off that price after signing up for the buzz club at Big Lots! That's what you call a sale!

i have said this for over 4 weeks now on hardocp.com that their going out of business sales had higher prices than their normal store and online prices, and their competitors.

right after they came out with commercials saying in store prices would be the same or cheaper than online prices... i went to their store and their 1000$ tvs were on clearance for 1700$

I work at Best Buy. Our CC across the street is having their "sale" right?

Customer: "Hey Best Buy associate. Circuit is having their clearance sale across the street, but I wanted to come see what you guys can do for me over here. Will you guys match their clearance prices?"

Me: "No, we don't generally match liquidation prices. I am curious, however, what their prices is."

Customer: "$1499."

Me: Looks up our price .... finds it on sale for $1399!

Me: "SURE! We'd be happy to match that price for you." Changes price at register.

Muahahaha. :D

lol@ powersellernyc.com being in a comparison with circuit city...At least use a reputable online retailer.

I hate this forum every time i post it times out befoer i post and logs me out and deletes what I typed.

I had a nice detailed post of my experience to share but it is gone. Kyle, Steve, sombody please change the damn timer. No wonder I dont post here much. OH crap time runing out will post again .:rolleyes:

/offtopic_rant

ACTION NEWS -- because every other newscast just lies there and takes it.

Ok I feel better.

There are deals at circuit City to be had just know what stuff cost before hand. I got a logitech Harmony One for $129 and an apc 1500 with avr/lcd for $80 as well as a few games and blue ray discs. I did however wait till a couple weeks before the end of the liquidation to buy

nothing new everyone does this, Kmart has been going out of business for like 10 years now and doing this at many of their stores.

What??!?! K-Mart is nto going out of business and haven't been having GOOB sales for 10 years. They filed for bankruptcy in 2002 and did a merger with Sears back in 2004. The two brands, Sears and K-Mart, share many of the same brands, pricing structure, etc. Be a hater for whatever reason, but please stay on topic.

Anyways... Unfortunately, this isn't uncommon practice when a company has liquidators manage their inventory.

During the final week of Linens & Things was going out of business, they had a Polaroid DVD player that was "40% off $199". It wasn't hard to see the "$99" price tag elsewhere on the box that was simply scribbled over with a black magic marker.

The Office Depot by me is closing and they're being completely run by a liquidation company. All of the other OD stores were having a sale on external HDD's that could land you a 2.5" 250GB external HDD for about $40. When I called the store that was closing, they said that they had the drives and that they were $159.99! A whole $20 more than what the other Office Depots claimed the regular price was for the drives! I was then told that "all hard drives are 20% off for liquidation." 20% off? Whoopie.

Fact of the matter is, GOOB sales are worthless. By the time prices drop to something decent (like when they hit 30 to 40% off), they're already sold out of all the good stuff. :mad:

Just keep in mind that the prices of each store will probably differ, so you'd find ripoffs or deals depending on which location to go to. But yeah since the "sale" JUST started, expect the prices to really drop in February or March when they get pressure to sell everything they can.

lololol powersellernyc.com. i bet that news broadcast just cost some people their money.

And you can find every single one of those items for less than Best Buy at Amazon.....haha

hi,

just stop for the last time at the local CC. It was just as worse if not even more worse. My daughter and I were in there for less than 5 minutes since they didn't have any more "affordable" laptops. I called my wife and she said well there is no need to keep this CC credit card. It was cancelled during lunch :)

Everything was way over priced with alot of people just wandering around the store with nothing in hand. As a matter of fact, a number of display models for the TVs were gone. Probably all the merchandise will be pushed forwarded and a section of the store will be "closed" off to make it appear they have more stuff.

OH well Not like the place will be missed.

Well, I had a gift card I had to use, so I went in there an paid $30 for 4GB MicroSD card. They're going for $15 for 8GBs on NewEgg. I knew it was a sham, but I needed the card and needed to get rid of the card.

Baaaaa, baaaaa, baaaaa.

Well, I had a gift card I had to use, so I went in there an paid $30 for 4GB MicroSD card. They're going for $15 for 8GBs on NewEgg. I knew it was a sham, but I needed the card and needed to get rid of the card.

Baaaaa, baaaaa, baaaaa.

gift cards are a sham in and of themselves, especially when the company goes out of business

and liquidators are scum

I only buy the shit that is never on sale...like 360 games, or controllers. I went to the local store and got a wireless 360 controller for $26.99 on the last day. You just have to look for the deals.

Baaaaa, baaaaa, baaaaa.

Atleast you got something for it :)

What a waste of time going into stores now. I used Compusa for my computer needs and when they closed I looked for CC and Bestbuy to buy from. Recently BB fucked me over by charging my card for an item I ordered but was not available in the stores. After calling and emailing BB the day after it happned they claimed the debit would be off in 2 days come to find out it was a week until they lifted the money. I was pissed, how in the hell could you charge somebody for a product that is not available. When I called them I told them that CC doesn't do that the smart ass guy told me basically so what CC is going out of business.

Now that CC is going out of business I guess I have to buy my electronics/computer stuff online.

My neighbor /guitar player in my band got a ok deal on a nikon ds 60 from CC. He paid 10$ less then newegg (not including shipping). So he didn't do too bad.

I wonder how many people will end up paying the Stupid Tax in all? In this economic climate, comparison shopping is about the only way to survive and thrive.

This same thing happens all the time...most "sales" you see nowadays aren't sales. You can't trust the word.

Black Friday was the biggest proof of this, most Black Friday deals weren't that at all.

Anyone whining about prices and blaming CC has no idea what they are talking about. CC is gone...the company is done. It is simply a liquidation company now trying to dump the stock, and yes, alot of stuff is a scam. They arent honoring any prices because they are told not to by the liquidators. They are dicks to people because people are f-ing vultures with this shit looking for deals, and the sales staff cant do anything about it. Though again...what the F do they care? They are out of a job in 2 months anyway.

My brother works at one...and every day he comes home about some cocksucker trying to haggle his way for a good deal and no one can do anything to accomodate the customer...so the customer gets pissed, and the staff has no reason not to snap back now...they are great stories though.

Once the newbs are bilked there will be deals to be had.

Oh, and camcorder poitned at TV: FTL.

I'm surprised that it took this long for Circuit City to go under. They've always sucked. Those greedy liquidators will really discount items once they start getting desperate.

Figures.:rolleyes:

I would think that after some time you could find a good deal on an accessory, since those are the items that these companies actually make $$$ off of.

What a waste of time going into stores now. I used Compusa for my computer needs and when they closed I looked for CC and Bestbuy to buy from. Recently BB fucked me over by charging my card for an item I ordered but was not available in the stores. After calling and emailing BB the day after it happned they claimed the debit would be off in 2 days come to find out it was a week until they lifted the money. I was pissed, how in the hell could you charge somebody for a product that is not available. When I called them I told them that CC doesn't do that the smart ass guy told me basically so what CC is going out of business.

Now that CC is going out of business I guess I have to buy my electronics/computer stuff online.

Hold on there, Turbo!

I know that this sucks, and I wish I had an answer for it. You are on the flip side of a customer I had come into my BBY yesterday. He says he was pissed off at Circuit City, and that's why he shops at BBY now and that he's not even going to their stupid liquidation sale (yeah right, I'll probably see him in there tomorrow! :p )

I asked him what they did. He was in the store shopping. He had what he wanted in his hand and was finishing up his shopping. Now, all inventories at CC, BBY, any large retailer I know of, are all done electronically - 100% by computer except when receiving a shipment or making corrections due to theft, damage, etc. So, if our store has ONE item in stock, our website will tell you in your house that it's available for store pickup.

Well, it just so happens that this gentleman talking to me had the last one of that particular item in his hand. He walked up to buy it, and they would sell it to him! They actually took the item away when he set it on the counter and told him it had already been purchased online and was paid for. Now, according to the customer they were dicks about it, but even if they were nice about it, it still sucks for you to walk into a store, pick out the item you want, and go up to pay, only to have the item ripped out of your hands. Needless to say he was furious and vowed to never shop there again. Someone ordered the item while a customer had it in his hand in the store, ready to buy it. They probably couldn't find it. So what do they do when this local customer walks up to try to buy it? Can you take something out of someone's hand?

Say they don't. Say they let him buy it. I mean, not every single cashier knows about every online order that goes through BBY. I don't know why every single cashier would need customer information every time, about every order, at CC either. If they would've allowed him to buy it anyways, or if someone had rung him up that didn't even know about the online order, they he would've been happy. But what happens when the online customer comes in and his/her product isn't there??

I actually asked my customer that when he was at BBY. I told him that I wasn't trying to argue, just put the retail spin on it. He understood a little better after that, and he didn't know what he would do in that situation. He was still pissed about CC though.

Lo and behold, here you are. You WERE that online customer. I'm sorry that happened to you, but sh ... it happens. It's rare, but I've seen it happen with my own eyes. You have to choose which customer you want to piss off. And if the customer that bought your item got rung out by someone who didn't even know about the order, then nobody consciously made a choice or effort to screw you. If someone was rude to you (without you being rude or bitchy at them first) then ya, I would be pissed at BBY, too. But it can happen at ANY store that offers in-store pickup from online ordering. It's rare, but it happens.

Which customer deserves to get screwed? No one. But there you go. BBY was the WORST a couple of years ago, but they're a lot better now. They have a 15-min in store pickup goal now, and they monitor inventories a lot more closely than in the past. But humans make mistakes. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Anyone whining about prices and blaming CC has no idea what they are talking about. CC is gone...the company is done. It is simply a liquidation company now trying to dump the stock, and yes, alot of stuff is a scam. They arent honoring any prices because they are told not to by the liquidators. They are dicks to people because people are f-ing vultures with this shit looking for deals, and the sales staff cant do anything about it. Though again...what the F do they care? They are out of a job in 2 months anyway.

My brother works at one...and every day he comes home about some cocksucker trying to haggle his way for a good deal and no one can do anything to accomodate the customer...so the customer gets pissed, and the staff has no reason not to snap back now...they are great stories though.

Unfortunately ... QFT. :(

It's a sad state of affairs. Nobody can/wants to face responsibility for their actions today. Circuit City goes bankrupt, then out of business because they can't pay back a huge debt they accrued. They don't want to have to even be responsible for selling all the stock, so they hire a third party. Associates can't make deals that the liquidation company doesn't endorse, so they aren't responsible for anything now, other than just trying to sell all they can and show up for work for their last few weeks. And who's going to hold the liquidation company responsible for actually making the sale real, and not taking advantage of unsuspecting customers?? Nobody. It really is a bad situation all around.

BB still sells sony's SR-11 for $899, I got mine in the box new for $600

That's a freaking good deal. I think cost is around $750+ on that unit. Nice find. Excellent camera for $600.

I don't know what's worse what the liquidators are doing, or the reporters grabbing all these people leaving circuit city making them feel like shit that they paid more than they should have for the stuff :D

Seriously, this is a shock? I saw it when CompUSA went out, I mean I knew they were high but even on the last few days at 50% off of a laptop they were still higher than normal, and this for the god damn floor model that was broken! Mervyns? Same deal.

Prices get lower and lower. As they reach their last couple of days, prices bottom out.

atleats they're going out like they existed....they were always overpriced from competitiors. I have no idea who put together their business plan, but with a worse return policy, shit customer service, and higher prices...this bancruptcy is no surprise.

how was their return policy worse than BBY?

God knows their price matching policy was better than BBY. At BBY, if you bring in an ad they'll match the price. If you brought it to CC, they'd give you 110% of the difference.

At BBY, you'd have to buy the product at their price then go to customer service to price match, if you wanted the 10%.

Frankly, I never thought BBY was a lick better than CC until the past couple of years, when BB's product lineup went down the tubes....not that I bought much from either of them.

I called this way back when they started closing that first batch of stores...

103 dollars after 30% off for an 8500GT...

I've had better experiences from Circuit City than Best Buy. I can only wish that Best Buy goes next. Long live CostCo and online retailers like Newegg!

Oh I love the end guy this is just horrible ....No Dumbass this is NORMAL.... Stupid shit.

KM

I went in the first day of the liquidation and the store was packed with bargin hunting noobies. It seemed everyone was stuffing their carts. I went and looked at the prices on some of things people were grabbing. The discount on those items were minimal.

One lady had a hand basket filled with CD's. The CD's were marked 30% off, but most of them were 15 to 16 bucks each. So, I don't know what the hell she was thinking.

LoL. This is what happens with all "liquidation". The main goal of a company is to make money, not to give stuff away, so this is to be expected.

That being said, I am sad that CC went under. Although their sale staff were horrible (even by best buy's standards), they did sometimes have great deals. I remember buying a DS there and they have me a starter kit for free. I also remember getting a graphic card FAR too. Good deals that best buy never offer.

Anyways, it's not a big lost since I usually buy stuff online nowadays.

Back