Chuck Norris Sues Over Internet Fact Book

HardOCP News

[H] News
Everyone knows Chuck Norris is a good sport and was generally supportive of all the recent “Chuck Norris facts” stuff, that is until someone decided to profit off a book containing all those internet facts.

"Defendants have misappropriated and exploited Mr. Norris's name and likeness without authorization for their own commercial profit," said the lawsuit. The suit, filed in Manhattan federal court, seeks unspecified monetary damages for trademark infringement, unjust enrichment and privacy rights.

Chuck Norris is so badass that he will roundhouse kick the money out of the people's pockets who committed copyright infringement on his name.

Total defamation of character. No wonder Chuck Norris let it slide for so long. :D

"Someday there will be a book, and I will roundhou-, er, sue them."

From what I was reading in other reports of this, the book does more than just rehash some facts, but paints him as a sometimes racist and all around a hole.

Dunno, but thats what I am hearing

GO CHUCK!

Take 'em to the cleaners - it probably wouldn't have been that big of a deal except the part about
Some of the 'facts' in the book are racist, lewd or portray Mr. Norris as engaged in illegal activities," the lawsuit alleges.

Mr. Norris seems to be a straight shooter. Penguin books just pissed of a killer whale named Chuck. Let the munching begin.

All I know is I wouldn't want to be on the other side of that lawsuit. :p

You know it sucks, especially when an actor like chuck lets stuff like these jokes slide, even contributes to some of them, then a random group of people try to do idiotic shit like this. At least hes able to defend himself and his name in a court.

Chuck Norris isn't taking these guys to court. The court is taking them to Chuck Norris! :eek:

Those fact are the funniest things to read, but you have to be a real stupid azzhole to try and publish a book using someone elses name without permission.

Its a no brainer, chuck will win, and I hope the author gets his ass handed to him......moron

Ha ha, that's great! I hate lawsuits that sound stupid, but I think these guys crossed the line publishing a book using Chuck Norris' name.

He's really a super secret alien spy sent here to learn martial arts so he can train armies for the invasion.

Oh, wait, nm, forgot we weren't in WoW.

Go Chuck. kick their arse.

GO CHUCK!

Take 'em to the cleaners - it probably wouldn't have been that big of a deal except the part about

Mr. Norris seems to be a straight shooter. Penguin books just pissed of a killer whale named Chuck. Let the munching begin.

Chuck Norris is not a man, he is actually a colony of fists.

All I know is I wouldn't want to be on the other side of that lawsuit. :p

Funny.I have heard nothing but good things about the man over the years.I hope he wins and sues them into the ground. :)

Funny.I have heard nothing but good things about the man over the years.I hope he wins and sues them into the ground. :)

Agreed

No one should make a profit off of chucks name... Thats just absolutly WRONG!

Chuck Norris is possibly one of the BEST hollywood actors of all time..

Chuck Norris doesn't need the court system, he is judge, jury, and executioner. :p

[RIP]Zeus;1031832610 said:
Agreed

Possibly? That implies somebody is good enough to be on the same level as Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris IS the best actor in Hollywood, Baliwood, Eastwood, or any other wood they make movies at!

:DThe author is very brave! Does he even know the leading causes of death in the United States are: 1. Heart Disease 2. Chuck Norris 3. Cancer :D He's signing his death sentence. lol

[RIP]Zeus;1031832610 said:
Agreed

I sincerely hope you're joking. Actor implies someone who can act and Chuck's a C movie star at best for followers.

People shouldn't make money off someone elses name without their permission, period.

I hope he wins the law suit.

Here's one of my favorite Chuck Norris Facts;

" There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live."

Chuck FTW

He might not have a case. Compiling a book of jokes would be the same as compiling information for a dictionary/encyclopedia. And Chuck isn't some no-name with a expectation of privacy. He is a public figure who has shown that he normally doesn't care about the jokes. Commercialization of the jokes does not make them actionable in it of itself. It's like the 2LiveCrew parody song case, where it being made for sale was not a valid reason for the suit (yes, that was copyright and not defamation/libel)

Always humor when it comes to promoting a celebrity... until it comes to money.

Chuck Norris has shown me that not even himself can resist the taste of some monetary gain.

Always humor when it comes to promoting a celebrity... until it comes to money.

Chuck Norris has shown me that not even himself can resist the taste of some monetary gain.

it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with slander.

it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with slander.

It has nothing to do with slander. Slander is Spoken. Libel is written. And given cases like that church asshole vs the penthouse asshole, Chuck doesn't have much of a case. If you take a look at the book, with them saying Chuck has a fist under his beard, everything is presented as a joke.

church asshole vs the penthouse asshole

LOL.
Larry Flint may have been protected on the grounds that a "reasonable person" would have to believe what is written/said for it to be libel/slander, but this isn't a libel/slander case. I assume they specifically took the "Trademark Infringement" approach.

Back