Chrysler Unveils Its Concept Minivan For The Selfie Generation

HardOCP News

[H] News
They weren't kidding when they said this new concept car from Chrysler is made for the "selfie generation." The minivan actually comes with a built in selfie cam. I can just see people in the near future buying cars based on whether or not they have selfie cams. :(

To make sure the ride is as connected as possible, the Portal has selfie cam; a group setting that takes all the rider's information and plans a trip accordingly; and a display for those sitting in the back that encourages them to post about their trip. And if the driver and someone sitting in the very back seat can't hear each other, the car also has an intercom system.

This has as much chance of coming to market as the internet cars of years past. Plus the fact that today's youth are generally not interested in cars.

If it's an autonomous driver than the cam as a means to video chat would be useful. Parents monitoring their kids driving behavior... Idk. I can see some merit to the idea, but I still wouldn't want it in my car.

Looks like a smaller version of the Star Frontiers or Shadowrun van type of vehicle. Gee, I wonder where they get their ideas... I dunno.. I kinda like the look, but hate the tech. Selfies? Really???

I'm officially old, because I just don't get this shit anymore.

The self-driving car of the tomorrow...
ls.jpg

Pretend I just posted the pic of Homer Simpson's car design here...

(too lazy to find it)

Ah yes, selfies. I'm such a truly unique snowflake by doing an utterly trivial activity just like everyone else.

Are people really such narcissistic, self-absorbed DBs that they need to have a selfie camera in their car now? If so, I may need to move even further out than I am now.

Are people really such narcissistic, self-absorbed DBs that they need to have a selfie camera in their car now? If so, I may need to move even further out than I am now.

Yes. They are.

This has as much chance of coming to market as the internet cars of years past. Plus the fact that today's youth are generally not interested in cars.

Even if this does reach the market, Chrysler has a bad record when it comes to designing micro-minivans targeted towards the 18-25 crowd.

Remember the PT Cruiser? That was targeted at the same 18-25 age group (back in 2001) and it ended up being FAR more popular with the over-60 crowd than the under-30 crowd (Side Benefit: you can pick up low-mileage PT Cruisers in great shape for really cheap now. Even the 230-hp turbocharged version)

on board intercom, really. Thsi selfie can is small enough that if the person in the back needs intercome they are probably deaf and need EBT electronic braille transmission.

I dunno but selfie cam in ones car sounds more deadly that txting and driving.

Even if this does reach the market, Chrysler has a bad record when it comes to designing micro-minivans targeted towards the 18-25 crowd.

Remember the PT Cruiser? That was targeted at the same 18-25 age group (back in 2001) and it ended up being FAR more popular with the over-60 crowd than the under-30 crowd (Side Benefit: you can pick up low-mileage PT Cruisers in great shape for really cheap now. Even the 230-hp turbocharged version)

I gotta say....I was given one for free by my parents. I resisted driving it for a couple years. But then I started using it as a commuter and thing was pretty good. Plenty of room. AC and Heat were excellent. Got like 25MPG which I thought was good for a 2001 car. I got 196K miles out of the thing before it finally got a headgasket leak. But other then that, mechanically it was VERY dependable.

I will say though, replacing the timing belt was absolutely horrible because the of the extreme rake of the fenders.

I'll take mine with a hemi.

Yeah, I see a bunch of older people being misinformed towards a generation that almost definitely doesn't find any interest in something as stupid as this.

It's a concept. No one in this supposed "selfie generation" can afford a new vehicle just because of a selfie cam... let alone wants to drive a van.

No. This reeks of marketroids in suits failing miserably at marketing to a demographic.

Step one of marketing to "Millennials": stop fucking calling them "Millennials".

I think Toyota made the same mistake with the Scion brand, marketing it toward young male adults and the largest demographic ended up being middle-aged women.

Back