chronicles of riddick sucks bad

trek554

[H]ard|Gawd
yeah i know the game is kinda of old now but i just bought it yesterday. the shimmering and aliasing are awful no matter what setings i use on my 6600. the way riddick walks also makes me nauseous. all the other fps games seem to walk normal. the game lacks any polish at all. you can see models weapons passing through objects and other similar bugs. all these things have made want to stop playing. i have no fucking idea why this game had such high ratings. :confused: people bitched about doom3 but atleast that game didnt have any real bugs that detracted from the game.

1) why is my damn air2k5 account banned?
2) I hav enot had any issues like that, I sold the gmae though when I got bored with it. it ran well, no issues, but yea the running was kind of messed up. Overall i would give it a 7/10.

trek554 said:
yeah i know the game is kinda of old now but i just bought it yesterday. the shimmering and aliasing are awful no matter what setings i use on my 6600. the way riddick walks also makes me nauseous. all the other fps games seem to walk normal. the game lacks any polish at all. you can see models weapons passing through objects and other similar bugs. all these things have made want to stop playing. i have no fucking idea why this game had such high ratings. :confused: people bitched about doom3 but atleast that game didnt have any real bugs that detracted from the game.

I didnt have any of the problems that you had. I thought this game was awesome. In fact, I think i will load it up tonight.

Make sure before you play a game, both your game is patched and video card drivers are up to date.

This is one of the best games in recent history. (probably my favorite of 2004) I had none of the problems listed either. The only problem I had was having to set affinity to a single core on my X2. There is also a patch available for it which fixed some other issues. I can't believe anyone would say this is a bad game. It's HUGELY atmospheric, the soundtrack is excellent, the acting is good (which is sorely lacking in other games,) the story is intersting, and the play is varied through the entire game. What could possibly be wrong with all of that? If you're getting shimmering problems, change your card's settings. Shimmering problems do not make a bad game either by the way. Anyway, it sounds like you're doing something wrong since most people I know have no such problems. I wish they'd make a sequel actually, perhaps taking place after the last movie or something.

^^^^
and

^^^^
^^^^

Agreed. I thought Riddick was one of the better games recently. It had a story (OMG), you could see his feet/shadow, and you got to shiv people. Plus you have nightvision, the game has good graphics, and it is actually playable. I don't see what's wrong with it, but to each his own.

i have the patch and newest drivers. my hardware is not causing objects like weapons to stick through door or walls sometimes. it has to be the game itself. the shimmering is a VERY WELL KNOWN issue in the game. even some game reviews mention it. i should have done more research BEFORE i bought the game. the movement of riddick may not bother some people but it really makes me a little seasick.

trek554 said:

You either have a fucked up system or fucked up eyes. I don't have any of those problesm.

I have the XBOX version, so I can't comment on the video problems, but the game? Yeah, it's killer. :cool:

No problems here.
This may sound trite, but defrag.
Riddick ran shitty/messed up when I first installed it[when it first came out] but defragging made a huge difference. More than any defragging helped in any game I ever had.
Also just use shader 2:0 Not ++ as others have mentioned.
I can run 1280x1024 no AA or 1024x768 with AA
Looks and plays fine.

Bloefield said:
No problems here.
This may sound trite, but defrag.
Riddick ran shitty/messed up when I first installed it[when it first came out] but defragging made a huge difference. More than any defragging helped in any game I ever had.
Also just use shader 2:0 Not ++ as others have mentioned.
I can run 1280x1024 no AA or 1024x768 with AA
Looks and plays fine.
it plays fine. no need to defrag. its the game itself. if none of you guys have not noticed these issues then you would have to be blind.

In your google links there is only like one site that mentions about shimmering and none about any bad collision detection... and on top of that no screens...

ScreamingBroccoli said:
In your google links there is only like one site that mentions about shimmering and none about any bad collision detection... and on top of that no screens...
what the hell are you talking about? there are three or four links on the collision and shimmer search. do you want to me link them individually?? the screenshots dont show shimmer. i do have one with the collision but i cant figure out how to put into photobucket. its a tga file that has to use quicktime to open.

this is from a different review "I found that this method was inconsistent due to collision issues. One time I put the Riot Guard in the middle of the area but the container crate had no effect. He even charged at me through the crate as though it wasn't even
there!"

ScreamingBroccoli said:
I had no problems with the game, I guess it's just you. If you don't like it don't play it...
real nice forum here. if you like it then fine. if you cant see the shimmering then you are fucking blind. i guess you guys are easy to please. doom3 was perfect as for as bugs go and i expected close to same for this game. :(

it was a good game for me. shimmering was extremely noticeable but you get used to it. i haven't had any of the glitches you mentioned but view bob has been a part of fps games for a long time.

lol how the hell are you going to bitch about a game's aliasing when you're running it on a 6600?

Are you serious?

I'm not sure what you mean by shimmering, though.

Personally I thought the game was excellent.

Extremely atomospheric, made it seem as though you were really Riddick (the view bob), as opposed to other FPS's where the most bob you see is the gun bobbing up and down with every step you take.

I loved it. :)

I loved the game also, even better than HL2 imo. I didnt get the shimmering effects but Ive since updated my gfx card drivers so Ill try it again tonight and see if they appear. I thought the engine did a great job.
If you can get rid of the shimmering I think you might enjoy the game. I dug the story alot and the dialog. Dark, gritty with some adult humor sprinkled in. They need to make more games like CoR:EFBB

one of the finer FPS games i've played in a while also

loved riddick, played thru it 3-4 times now trying different approaches

must be user error

Too bad you"re having problems with Riddick.
Hope you resolve the issues so you could play it properly.

trek554 said:
real nice forum here. if you like it then fine. if you cant see the shimmering then you are fucking blind. i guess you guys are easy to please. doom3 was perfect as for as bugs go and i expected close to same for this game. :(

Except for the fact that I see no shimmering. I'm not blind, I'm well versed in video hardware, terminology, possible artifacts, I work in the industry, etc. etc. etc. I'm not saying that it's not shimmering for you or anyone else, but I can tell you it's not for me. Maybe my aniso settings solving it for me, or something like that.

I still don't understand how you can say the game is crap because of a graphical anomoly. That's retarded.

cpnhowdy said:
I loved the game also, even better than HL2 imo. I didnt get the shimmering effects but Ive since updated my gfx card drivers so Ill try it again tonight and see if they appear. I thought the engine did a great job.
If you can get rid of the shimmering I think you might enjoy the game. I dug the story alot and the dialog. Dark, gritty with some adult humor sprinkled in. They need to make more games like CoR:EFBB

I agree, far better than HL2. (and I like HL2 a lot)

Bloefield said:
Too bad you"re having problems with Riddick.
Hope you resolve the issues so you could play it properly.
well theres nothing i can do about the problems. they are just part of the game.

The18thLetter said:
lol how the hell are you going to bitch about a game's aliasing when you're running it on a 6600?

Are you serious?

I'm not sure what you mean by shimmering, though.

Personally I thought the game was excellent.

Extremely atomospheric, made it seem as though you were really Riddick (the view bob), as opposed to other FPS's where the most bob you see is the gun bobbing up and down with every step you take.

I loved it. :)
if you dont even know what shimmering is then your your other thoughts on the game are pretty useless. a 6600 can do AA. i know its not the best card but you dont have to own a $500 card to use AA.

: / You are so getting yourself banned......

You cannot say that it's a part of the game, when other people (such as myself) have'nt experienced such problems

Nuzzles said:
: / You are so getting yourself banned......

You cannot say that it's a part of the game, when other people (such as myself) have'nt experienced such problems
its there. it may not bother you as bad but its there. it may be better on a different video card but it will still be there. maybe an x1800 can get rid of most of the shimmer but that want fix the collision problems in the games. i have a fraps video that i could post that shows the bad aa in the game and shows somebody walking halfway through a door.

trek554 said:
heres a link to all who keep saying it just me. i have played every other big fps like doom3 and far cry and have never seen a game shimmer so bad. http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cach...html+riddick+shimmer&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Well there you have it then. Just as many or more aren't getting any shimmering at all. I personally don't run the aniso/tri optimizations, so that's probably why I don't see it. Your card may or may not be up to the task of running without the optimizations on. That I'm not sure about. If you stop calling people names, stop saying the game is crap, and just ask intelligent questions (like how to resolve this,) you may get a more positive response.

J3RK said:
Well there you have it then. Just as many or more aren't getting any shimmering at all. I personally don't run the aniso/tri optimizations, so that's probably why I don't see it. Your card may or may not be up to the task of running without the optimizations on. That I'm not sure about. If you stop calling people names, stop saying the game is crap, and just ask intelligent questions (like how to resolve this,) you may get a more positive response.
well its easy to get aggravated trying to prove something. i just had high expectations about the game. i have tried everything within the game and control panel with no luck. even if i fixed that shimmer crap there still would be the collision issue and my hardware has nothing to do with that. i have a photobucket pic but it got resized and maybe too small to see the guards arm and gun coming thru the door. http://photobucket.com/albums/e122/toyota582/?action=view&current=wmplayer2006-01-2716-24-05-75.jpg look closely and you can see the guards arm. sorry it is so small. this is like 3rd or 4th time this has happened in only about 15 minutes of gameplay.

This game plays fine on a 6800 ULTRA. at least if you disable the ps 2.0++mode or what it´s called...

Riddick is about the only game where the character moves realistically have mass, shoulders and feets. Not like Half Life 2 where you are on skates all the time. I loved that feeling really. Very few fps games make you feel like a real person. Mostly do away with the realism for fast walking/strafing action... Thought Riddick got the first person perspective spot on. Hope more learn from Riddick how to animate your movements and make you feel like part of a body not floating head and arm :)

Incorporating a fighting model (punches and what not) into the FPS kind drew me in... that and grabbing a guy's gun and forcing him to blow his head off, that just never got old. lol

great game .. I too have not experienced any shimmering or collision problems so cant comment on that "feature"

Is this specific to a certain series of drivers or hardware class?

I never noticed any collision problems, but if I had, it wouldn't have ruined the game for me. Yeah, those kinda little glitches can detract from a game a little bit if they happen constantly, but they don't in this game. A guard's arm popping through a door once or twice just doesn't seem like a valid reason to hate a perfectly good game. I can see that all the issues you're having are building up on you, and probably pissing you off a bit, but put the effort you've put into trying to prove this to people that don't care all that much into solving the problem. That thread that you linked about the shimmering had numerous ways to get rid of it on NV hardware. Try turning all the optimizations off. They degrade aniso functionality. Try cranking those settings up, and AA down, because AA isn't as important as having stable textures (if you ask me, and it sounds like you'd agree.) What shader mode are you using? List out your NV control panel settings. Instead of telling us you tried everything, tell us what you tried. The more specific information you tell us, the more we'll be able to help. If I were you though, I'd stop worrying too much about these little tiny puny issues that don't really effect gameplay, and try to enjoy the game itself. I'd be willing to bet you'd like it if you weren't in nit-pick mode. Anyway, toss us your settings, driver versions, ingame settings, etc. and maybe one of us can help.

I've played the game on a 9800XT, 6600GT, 6800GT, and a 7800GTX (my current card) both with and without AA and such, and I have NEVER experienced shimmering.

Population without shimmering problems >>>>> Population with shimmering problems

ThreeDee said:
great game .. I too have not experienced any shimmering or collision problems so cant comment on that "feature"

Is this specific to a certain series of drivers or hardware class?

i doubt the collision thing can be fixed. i turned the aa to 8x in the control panel and that really cleaned it up the shimmering. i think had accidently save my profile with no aa before :eek: . anyways the game looks pretty good now. still nothing i can do about the collisions. :(

Nice, looks like you're making progress. I still don't remember seeing any collision problems, at least anything that caught my attention. Play through more of the game, and see if it keeps happening. If it happens all the time, then something major is going on that most of us didn't seem to notice. (And I pay pretty close attention to the graphics in games.) Could be a culling issue or something weird like that. Another thing, this game really heats up my cards. I wonder if you're running into some heat-related artifacting. I had Arctic coolers on my 6800GTs that I initially played the game on, with AS5, and it still heated the cards up, sometimes to the point of popping up a warning. It doesn't happen on my 7800, but I imagine it still gets pretty hot.

Edit: Another thing, what processor do you run? I had some crazy problems when I didn't set affinity to a single processor (jumpy frame rate, big graphical glitches, etc.) If you have a dual core, try setting it to a single proc. Just a thought.

Back