chronicles of riddick sucks bad

J3RK said:
I never noticed any collision problems, but if I had, it wouldn't have ruined the game for me. Yeah, those kinda little glitches can detract from a game a little bit if they happen constantly, but they don't in this game. A guard's arm popping through a door once or twice just doesn't seem like a valid reason to hate a perfectly good game. I can see that all the issues you're having are building up on you, and probably pissing you off a bit, but put the effort you've put into trying to prove this to people that don't care all that much into solving the problem. That thread that you linked about the shimmering had numerous ways to get rid of it on NV hardware. Try turning all the optimizations off. They degrade aniso functionality. Try cranking those settings up, and AA down, because AA isn't as important as having stable textures (if you ask me, and it sounds like you'd agree.) What shader mode are you using? List out your NV control panel settings. Instead of telling us you tried everything, tell us what you tried. The more specific information you tell us, the more we'll be able to help. If I were you though, I'd stop worrying too much about these little tiny puny issues that don't really effect gameplay, and try to enjoy the game itself. I'd be willing to bet you'd like it if you weren't in nit-pick mode. Anyway, toss us your settings, driver versions, ingame settings, etc. and maybe one of us can help.
i thought this game would be like all the others. i had always used in game settings on other games and had great iq. i went into the control panel again and made some adjustments and it looks good now. i dont really notice the shimmer now and there is very little aliasing. i am surprised that it plays at 1024x768 with 8x aa and 16 af. i will turn the aa back to 4x for a little smoother gameplay though. i have also gotten use to the bobbing when walking. if the collision problems could be fixed i would be very happy. :D

trek554 said:
i doubt the collision thing can be fixed. i turned the aa to 8x in the control panel and that really cleaned it up the shimmering. i think had accidently save my profile with no aa before :eek: . anyways the game looks pretty good now. still nothing i can do about the collisions. :(
HQ and clamp also clean up the shimmering in Riddick a lot. -0.3 LOD bias makes very little difference after that.

I agree that AA cleans it up nicely too.

Aw gee.....I'm stuck with 800x600 res because of a driver issue with my GTX512....

Kinda sucks.

Khaydarin said:
Aw gee.....I'm stuck with 800x600 res because of a driver issue with my GTX512....

Kinda sucks.
i thought the 800x600 problem had to do with not having the monitor driver. thats a pretty common problem on their forum.

trek554 said:
i thought the 800x600 problem had to do with not having the monitor driver. thats a pretty common problem on their forum.

I cant find a moniter driver for my old micron......and I dont really know how to "create" one (if thats possible).

silasbear said:
I didnt have any of the problems that you had. I thought this game was awesome. In fact, I think i will load it up tonight.

Make sure before you play a game, both your game is patched and video card drivers are up to date.

Same here, on my 6600GT it looked great at 1280x1024 at HQ in CP, got rid of most of the shimmys and it;s like Doom 3 in respect to aliasing. There's very little at higher res. Great game, excellent work with the melee fighting. IMHO more FPS's should follow Riddicks lead. Oh no, a character in an FPS with PERSONALITY! Who talks! Run for the hills!

-wil

I loved that game, but I idd notice collisoins problems (thing sclipping,falling thru things) such as if 2 dead bodies fall on each other they'll fall thru each other, or that there are almost no physics in the game (due to it being out on xbox, me thinks)

but, WTF IS SHIMMERING??!!

Yes, I am a gamer of over 10 years and even wrote some demos, and don't know what it is.

There's an article somewhere deep in the archives from some German site that tries to explain shimmer. It was a real hot topic used to bash the 7800 series from nVidia when it first came out. I suppose you could describe it as a shine or unintentional "bloom" around certain objects in a game. Some people "see" it some dont.

Me I havent noticed it in any games.
I liked Riddick. I played it on a 6800 ultra and it was alot of fun. It was a nice change from the standard FPS games.
Sorry the OP had some problems. I see those collision things as just comical situations in a game. Nothing is perfect. There are some of those instances in HL2 as well, but I just wrote them off. :D

i thought the game was ok. it had very pretty shadows :) but it didn't have good firefights like other games do...

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I thought it would be a good place to ask. Does anyone else have a problem in this game with the mouse where if you move it diagonally, the mouse flips out and starts to jump back to its original position before moving the mouse? I can move the mouse and look around as fast as I want as long as I am looking straight across to the left or right, but once I start turning diagonally up or down, the movement is all messed up.

*EDIT*
Well, I just found out that it is my copperhead that is causing this problem. If I hook up any other mouse to the computer, it doesn't do it. Funny thing is, I didn't have this problem before with the copperhead, so I'm guessing it was one of the firmwares that brought this problem... :(

riddick was a lot of fun, excellent gfx, gameplay was varied enough to keep me interested.. i enjoyed it and played it through the end

Grimdj said:
I have the XBOX version, so I can't comment on the video problems, but the game? Yeah, it's killer. :cool:

Likewise, I bought the game for the Xbox. I thought it was a great game, especially for a game based on a movie license.

It adds an interesting zelda/half-life/doom/splintercell mix to the FPS genre. It kept me entertained for a while

Back