Chrome Will Soon Prevent Irritating, Unwanted Website Redirects

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In Chrome 64, Google will automatically prevent webpages from unexpectedly navigating to a new page, which Google says is often due to third-party content embedded in the original page and often not intended by the page's author. Chrome will now block those redirect attempts and will show that a redirect was attempted and prevented in an infobar.

One piece of feedback we regularly hear from users is that a page will unexpectedly navigate to a new page, for seemingly no reason. We've found that this redirect often comes from third-party content embedded in the page, and the page author didn't intend the redirect to happen at all. To address this, in Chrome 64 all redirects originating from third-party iframes will show an infobar instead of redirecting, unless the user had been interacting with that frame.

Off to read if this is applies to Chrome on mobile too. If there's one thing that makes me leave a page/site and never come back, it's being redirected from it to a full screen "You're infected!" ad.

Off to read if this is applies to Chrome on mobile too. If there's one thing that makes me leave a page/site and never come back, it's being redirected from it to a full screen "You're infected!" ad.

Agreed. That or the "Attention * phone user, you have won!"

Amazing. Cannot wait until this happens. Admittedly it will only affect my phone as my desktop has uBlock Origin but it will still be nice when it comes.

Back