Chrome OS Can Finally Use Printers without the Cloud

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
One of the bigger frustrations I’ve had with Chrome OS has been alleviated – or somewhat, anyway. While the process sounds like it could still be further simplified, connecting to a printer will no longer require compatibility with Google Cloud Print: a “Native Printing” option will allow users to connect to printers on a network once they figure out the device IP and what protocol it supports.

On Chrome OS, ever since launch it has by default relied on Google Cloud Print and compatible printers to get the job done, but now that version 59 has reached the Stable release channel, it's a little easier to use. That's because it has a new ability for "Native Printing," which basically means that it can connect directly to compatible printers on your network, without the need for any cloud connection at all. Some manufacturers and third parties have been getting around the cloud print requirement with extensions, but now support is built in and available to everyone.

Nice!

I wish that i can do the same from my phone and tablet, both camps (ios and android).

If this works as advertised, might allow me to replace my dad's 7+ year old Dell PC with a Chromebox. He just needs browser, web email and local printing, pretty much the perfect chromebox user. But I didn't want to be troubleshooting cloud printing from 90 miles away.

Yeah the biggest barrier to me blanket recommending Chromebooks to folks is printing. For some reason a lot of them still feel the need to do that and after explaining all the benefits of Chromebooks, I would get asked

"So what about printing?"

"Oh...yeah...printing!"

At which point I would have to explain the computing equivalent of the reproductive cycle of the Salmon.

This is not exactly printing via USB, and maybe it's better that Chrome OS doesn't do that anyway. I will have to look into the possibilities of printing over a network with Chrome OS.

Back