Chrome laggy as heck but only in windows 7?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone know whats up with this? I dual boot 7 and 10, chrome works fine forever on 10 but in windows 7 after 20-30 minutes it becomes so massively laggy the whole PC basically stops working until I close the browser out and reopen it.

Anyone know whats up with this? I dual boot 7 and 10, chrome works fine forever on 10 but in windows 7 after 20-30 minutes it becomes so massively laggy the whole PC basically stops working until I close the browser out and reopen it.
Sounds like a memory leak. Chrome is bona fide spyware anyway, try another browser.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I'd just like to get this working.

Try chromium. I have always found it a bit more responsive in general.... only real major difference is having to install Widevine if you want to use your browser for things like Netflix. (I have no idea how to install widevine for chromium on windows but I'm sure its only a google search away)

It was just in the news that hackers have extended their attacks from Google Play store to Chrome extensions. Perhaps you use one of the compromised ones.

Firefox is just as fast/fully featured as Chrome these days, I'm slowley switching back to it.

Perhaps give it a go?

It was just in the news that hackers have extended their attacks from Google Play store to Chrome extensions. Perhaps you use one of the compromised ones.

But the thing is, I have the exact same chome installation on two different operating systems on the same machine, and ONLY windows 7 does this. Its been ongoing for at least a year, every time I come back to 7 I experience the same thing. Go into 10 and it runs smoothly forever. Under 7 after a few minutes it becomes more and more laggy until I have to close it out and restart it. No memory leak that I can tell, usage stays identical to that of 10.

But the thing is, I have the exact same chome installation on two different operating systems on the same machine, and ONLY windows 7 does this. Its been ongoing for at least a year, every time I come back to 7 I experience the same thing. Go into 10 and it runs smoothly forever. Under 7 after a few minutes it becomes more and more laggy until I have to close it out and restart it. No memory leak that I can tell, usage stays identical to that of 10.

Check that you have the newest version. Check what channel your win 7 machine is installing Stable/Beta/Dev. Check chrome://flags/ and see if your windows 7 version has a odd flag flipped like Override software rendering or some such thing that is causing issues for you.

If nothing else seems out of place... try uninstalling chrome and installing chromium the open source version.

Firefox is just as fast/fully featured as Chrome these days, I'm slowley switching back to it.

Perhaps give it a go?

I've been giving Firefox another shot. There are a few 1st world compromises like the bookmark sync not being as polished, but I really like where Firefox is right now. 5 or so years ago I refused to touch Chrome and didn't understand why anyone would want to use it. The little features Chrome has are sharp hooks that get harder to pull the longer you use it though.

I've been giving Firefox another shot. There are a few 1st world compromises like the bookmark sync not being as polished, but I really like where Firefox is right now. 5 or so years ago I refused to touch Chrome and didn't understand why anyone would want to use it. The little features Chrome has are sharp hooks that get harder to pull the longer you use it though.

My experience is identical!

Firefox is pretty good these days though, they really look like they're trying now.

I've never liked Chrome. It's basically spyware and IIRC it lacked an effective script block / ad block option for a long time. No way in hell am I going to browse with javascript and ads on.

Back