Chrome Crushing It In The Browser Wars While Edge Continues To Sputter

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Google’s browser is more popular than ever, with recent market share reports suggesting that it now owns over half of the desktop browser market. Firefox usage also seems to have jumped in October after drooping since May, while Edge is only seeing minute gains.

Chrome's popularity is growing—it now accounts for more than half of all desktop browser usage and has nearly double the market share of Edge and Internet Explorer combined. Market research firm Net Applications has Chrome sitting pretty with a 54.99 percent share of the desktop browser market, up from 31.12 percent at this moment a year ago, while Internet Explorer and Edge combine for 28.39 percent and Firefox stuck at around 11 percent. Even more interesting is that when Windows 10 launched to the public at the end of July 2015, Chrome had a 27.82 percent share of the market while Internet Explorer still dominated the landscape with a 54 percent share. Now the script has flipped.

Chrome is my primary personal browser, partially because of the built-in Flash support that runs in a Sandbox. Firefox is my work browser, although I've applied some about:config tweaks to open suggestions in a new tab and to enable spell-check in single-line boxes. Also, Firefox supports Java.

Internet Explorer just sits there for that one website "just in case". Edge just sits there wanting to do something.... anything.... although it finally has extensions. And, has anyone heard from Opera?

I thought Mozilla was going to abandon Firefox once Servo got off it's feet, but apparently not. Within a year there will be some major improvements to Firefox, called Quantum, which is going to really help that browser. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Quantum

I prefer the Firefox UX but I like how well Chromium browsers multi thread. I think with the new changes coming up, Firefox will start gaining more users back.

Do any of you use different browsers for the sake of workflow? I don't care about a 20ms rendering difference, but I do like having 2 (or 3) totally separate browsers running at the same time so I can have two different classifications of tabs running. Different memory spaces and settings.

Edge is dumb though, and I do not have much problems with Internet Explorer. But Edge is no good.

Edge's UI is slow to respond. That drives me crazy, so I'm not going to be using it any time soon. Plus, at this point I'm not changing browsers unless I have a really good reason.

chrome is sucking too, vivaldi is the cool thing now, and its also chromium so it can run apps from the chrome store

People that don't know how to change the default browser are the only ones using edge.

People that don't care about an advertising corporation spying on them are the only ones using using Chrome.

Its no surprise that IE is lagging behind. Even with the improvements made to "Edge" (which is Win10 only mind you), it still has a long way to go. That said, I'm nonplussed but not surprised to see Chrome currently leading the pack. Given that over the past few years a ton of applications and OSes have come with Chrome install bundled, plus Google's ecosystem power, brings it to the forefront. Don't get me wrong, I think it is overall a pretty good browser. Chromium, its open source counterpart is as well. However, both of them are indicative of a kind of Internet that I don't want to support - one based on a proprietary monoculture and designed in service of a data-mining network. In both design and implementation, Chrome/ium is made to expand Google's brand and reach everything else is secondary. For instance, its "Chrome App Store" encourages development of an ecosystem that instead of using native applications and whatever browser they want, requires users to have/be using Chrome/ium.

Firefox is still my browser of choice and while technically it is probably on the same level as Chrome with both having their strengths and weaknesses, ethically and by design I see it superior. Firefox is the only major, open source, noob-to-guru-useful browser around that is made with the user first in mind and is supported/developed by a non-profit foundation. Its extensions and tweaks are second to none and the core of its development isn't made with data mining and advertising in mind, but instead is made for the user. That to me is something worth supporting. Both Chrome and Firefox have their issues, but I feel it is imperative that if you care about an open Internet that respects your privacy, Firefox should have your support.

After running into sync issues, browser crashes, and more for several months, I gave up on Firefox and switched to Chrome. It doesn't matter how noble the creators are, if they can't make a product that works properly for me, I can't use that product.

Waterfox has been my primary browser on my desktop for the last year or so.

I used to use Pale Moon years ago, but it had glitches for me and I just went back to Firefox.

Chrome I never really cared for, I've messed with Edge but would not dedicate to it.

Meh...I use IE as the default browser. Took the Edge shortcuts off the taskbar and do everything with IE.

I never liked Chrome. Miss a lot of functions that I got used to. Also Firefox feels more snappy. Since moving to W10 I started to have some issues with ff but not as much as to consider moving to chrome or anything else.

Chrome is all marketing hype. Firefox has always been the best browser in terms of real user experience and capabilities.

Currently Firefox is by far the slowest and leggiest browser out there. If Edge had better UI (I can't even edit bookmark URL) I'd definitely use it.

Firefox (portable) forever here, can't tolerate Chrome overall but I do have a portable version around for testing sites as required. I've got my Firefox setup configured pretty much perfectly with addons/plugins and a pretty severe amount of customization for me and me alone and I just can't do any of that with Chrome in general. Sure I can use a few of the same addons and maybe some plugins but the sheer customization I can do with Firefox makes it the only browser I would even bother with.

A few milliseconds here and there is simply not enough of a reason for me to even consider using Chrome simply because "it's faster..." in some respects. Hell, people don't buy Lamborghinis just because they're fast. ;)

Considering just how much I've done to this particular "install" (which it isn't since it's portable) I can still pull pretty damned good results in terms of startup time (under 1.2 seconds even with 26 addons and 13 plugins on an older Samsung 830 OEM SSD), page loading, and other performance aspects. Sunspider benchmark times are just a tad faster than Chrome in my own testing and I'm still using the ESR base (45.4.0) so I don't even mess with the "Electroylsis" multi-process bullshit. In my own testing on my own hardware the older non-multi-process versions of Firefox get better results than the newer multi-process enabled ones so, I'll be sticking with ESR 45 for quite some time.

I don't like all the changes Mozilla is putting Firefox through, I don't seem them having a positive result in the long run so, if it comes down to me having to keep using this old version for years to come, so be it.

Had high hopes for Brave considering who started the project, one of the founders of Mozilla, but so far it has proven to just not be of much use and barely offers any customization at all which seems odd considering the heritage of the developers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried several browsers, but always end up coming back to Firefox.

I hate to say it, but Microsoft actually made a mistake leaving IE behind. The only thing Edge has/had going for it is that it is essentially tabula rasa. But that is actually what is killing it as well, since they made it impossible to configure.

I'm a little burnt out on Microsoft's efforts to be everything for me. I like your OS... I don't need or want your browser/search engine/store front/games platform/etc... Microsoft needs to realize the reason Google gets away with collecting everything about us is because they are a) useful and b) unobtrusive.

I really like chrome, having it tied to my google account is handy as hell. I switch computers alot (jump between personal desktop, personal laptop and work laptop daily) and love how seamlessly is ports over my histories bookmarks and such between each. I also use hangouts daily for work for communications. Seems to be the best chat program that can be used on iphone, android and pc's while being able to switch between devices with no hassles.

If im using a borrowed laptop for a day I can sign into chrome and it auto ports my bookmarks and plugins instantly, do what I need then just delete my user from chrome and it wipes out all my stuff from the browser as if I never touched it.

Microsoft Edge browser is total crap and I've had to field dumb calls because of it. It has major issues opening up PDF's as well right now and just isn't functional from a business standpoint.

I don't run edge because it lacks usability functionality of every other browser. I WANT 4 freaking bars on the top of my browser, a URL bar, a bar of open tabs, a bar with old-school drop down menus with text titles not stupid icons that I can't figure out, and a bar stuffed full of all my favorite shortcuts.

Edge... can't get this right. No option to make it look like the browser I've been using for 20 years and am pretty much completely happy with how it looks. So, no edge. F**k Microsoft, changing the user interface just 'cause. Sorry, your little icons suck dogballs. Give me text labels on normal drop-down menus, because those work and save time.

I do not use Chrome all that much. I do use Firefox and Edge quite a bit though. Seems to me that without Windows, Chrome would have gone no where fast. :) ;)

Only way Microsoft can get people to even try their browser is to bundle it with the OS. Chrome is good but it is owned by google spies so I would use an alternative version of Chrome that has the spyware gutted out, like Iron. On Windows I use Firefox but in Linux I use Chromium.

Firefox user here. Fast and a lot of extensions. It just works. Flash on the other hand.....*cough*

I use Vivaldi as my main browser although I do have Chrome installed. I like Firefox on Linux better than windows, seems faster to me. Never had much luck with Edge, always seems to hang or crash, so I just don't bother.

Actually I find Edge to me much "smoother" than both FF and chrome on laptops. Pinch to zoom and multi touch actions on a trackpad work infinitely better on Edge than everything else on a w10 OS. The only thing that is preventing me from using Edge is the lack of extensions. As soon as they get all that good stuff up and going, I'll be hopping over to Edge in a jiffy.

Hey, at least Edge finally (mine got updated today) got the swipe gestures back from the 8.1 days which are so intuitive for webpage navigation. Say what you want, but on a tablet, that's something that MS really has on everybody else.

Edge works fine and it has LastPass, the only extension I need but there is no reason to switch back.

I've used them all extensively. I use Opera.

I stopped using IE during my university years (nearly 15 years ago at this stage) because FF portable was my only means of saving bookmarks, and that was also around the time where a significant security hole in the IE was found.

I switched over to FF fully after their first official release, mainly due to tabbed browsing.

I have since used Opera, Chrome, Fire and Waterfox, I have only used IE in order to access websites that demand it, and only when IE tab extention have failed to work.

Stopped using FF when its performance started to lag behind, switched to Chrome as it was the most convenient form of profile transfer across several devices.

Haven't used IE at all, I remember at one stage I thought that Microsoft didn't want people to use IE, it took them years to implement tabbed browsing... one of the last, if not THE last browser to adopt it.

I still have FF installed, as some extensions work in FF and not in Chrome.

Right now, Edge is only on my comp as a backup of backups, the app is otherwise extremely hidden in my start menu.

When the Chrome installer is packaged into so many programs its no wonder its the top, im sure its been installed unknowingly a ton of times. I stick with FF

Yeah the one reason is incognito mode. It goes hand in hand with pron usage.

Plus its on most of the world's cell phones so it recognizable.

When the Chrome installer is packaged into so many programs its no wonder its the top, im sure its been installed unknowingly a ton of times. I stick with FF

It's good cholesterol but it spreads like bad cholesterol

Back