Chrome 71 Arrives With Upgraded Ad Blocker

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Chrome 71 arrives today, and comes the usual slew of fixes and improvements. Among other things, Chrome will now block websites that abuse the Speech Synthesis dictation API, and the devs added support for relative times in websites. But the most major change is probably the update to Chrome's internal adblocker. The browser already blocks ads that Google marks as an "abusive experience" by default, but as they announced in a blog post last month, Google is expanding this definition.

In fact, more than half of these abusive experiences are not blocked by our current set of protections, and nearly all involve harmful or misleading ads. These ads trick users into clicking on them by pretending to be system warnings or “close” buttons that do not actually close the ad. Further, some of these abusive ad experiences are used by scammers and phishing schemes to steal personal information.

Anyone use this? I'm used to ABP - is this even in the same ballpark?

AKA, everything except google ads. :LOL:
I was gunna say this is sort silly since they are all about being an AD company. Sounds like a pay-to-play experience for those wanting ad space in their browser.....

Anyone use this? I'm used to ABP - is this even in the same ballpark?

I'm sticking with the big players since I can control what to and not to allow; of course as long as those apps remain as good as they are. HTTPS everywhere, ADB/uBlock and NoScript will remain my weapons of choice for now.

It should go without saying but regardless of what Ad Blocker you use be sure that Ad's are allowed on the [H]. Every time a person browses this site with an AdBlocker on a Unicorn dies and... who doesn't love unicorns.

Will that also block websites that use silent audio ads (anandtech and some others) very annoying as it takes hold of my Bluetooth headset when playing audio on my other phone (duel connect headset)

Google's ads are fine. They're generally unobtrusive and easily identified for what they are.

Normally, they have some that are sneaky.

There was a search result for a restaurant that showed a particular "food menu" in the card, it stayed on Google and never left. I was asked by a client to research how it was done, since I've configured many JSON-LD setups for Google search results and restaurants. Turns out, this particular "feature" was an ad in disguise. According to Google, certain platform partners are allowed to pay to have their online menus slipped into the result of a business listing card - this supercedes the restaurants online ordering (if present), so this third party takes a cut, worst of all, because it never leaves search the users are often unaware they're using a third party when the website itself may provide their own online ordering. It's a greasy form of forced middlemen.

Restaurants have to jump through hoops to have it removed from their search cards.

Last edited:
Nice but I already have the best ad blocker in the universe - pi-hole!

Back