Christopher Nolan Apologizes for His Comments about Netflix

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Christopher Nolan sent Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos a personal email, apologizing for comments he made about the streaming service: in July, Nolan called the company’s strategy of releasing films on their platform and in theaters on the same day “mindless,” and “an untenable model.” He says he could have been more polite and now admits that Netflix is “revolutionary.”

He’s since softened his tone, insisting he chose his words poorly during a media tour for “Dunkirk.” He went so far as to email Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos an apology. “I should have been more polite,” admits Nolan. “I said what I believe, but I was undiplomatic in the way I expressed it. I wasn’t giving any context to the frankly revolutionary nature of what Netflix has done. It’s extraordinary. They need appropriate respect for that, which I have.”

Well blow me down. This is the respect we should be showing each other. Good on you Chris!

So a friend said hey dude hold up... do you have any idea what these guys are actually paying creative types. lmao

Perhaps when he realized they paid a guy like Adam Sandler more for a handful of horrible movies then any studio has paid him for actual quality he figured he better make amends.

Netflix may be shaking things up... but for people like Nolan Netflix is $$$$$. I mean heck they are paying comedians like Seinfeld a 100 million for a handful of content. To bag a director like Nolan they would pay him more money then any studio has been willing to give him... no to mention likely complete freedom to do whatever the fuck he wanted.

At some point the theater is going to be completely redundant that is just the march of tech... nothing anyone can do to wish that away.

I rather enjoy movies at my home and imax 3d, anything else just is mundane

I feel the same way. Its hard to get excited about the 2D showings on the much smaller screens, when so many people have 50+ inch screens at home. The theater guys may have insane laser projection and other fantastic things in theater 1 and 2... but on screens 3-10+ at the local megaplex the projectors are often not really any better then a good current LCD. (often a 4k + hdblu is in fact better quality wise)

3D I have almost always found to be a gimmick... but our local theaters here have started showing 2D imax/ultraavx more now and I have started going more.

Question - did people shame him and talk shit so he was almost forced to do the apology, or was it a real heartfelt apology that he actually meant?

I don't know the guy at all. However, I wonder if he is seeing how much money he is potentially losing out on? Streaming is a growth avenue and makes money. Lots of people pay for Netflix. You'd be an idiot to walk away from it (or you have too much money to care)

So when does the Netflix Exclusive Christopher Nolan Directed movie show up only on Netflix? 12 months from now? 18 months?

Someone was shown a metric shit ton of money , an audience who will enjoy a long multihour movie, and continued interaction after the fact.

Go figure that directors and producers are doing more shit on HBO/Showtime/Amazon/Netflix than garbage on ABC/CBS/Movie Screens.

The only 2d theatre I can be convinced to go to lets you sit on couches and they serve dinner and beer/wine.

But usually I am not footing the entire bill alone. Tapas style

Hah! I remember commenting on the original article and criticizing this overrated director's terrible opinion on Netflix when it first came out.

Not that I can be the 'I told you so" guy to his face but I have to admit that his public 180 turn on the subject is actually commendable.

I have and always will respect someone for being able to admit they there wrong. On a side note, I actually am curious to watch Dunkirk but every other movie of his has been such an over-hyped let down that I can't bring myself to watch it.

So someone from Netflix handed him a blank cheque to make a 5 hour movie that people can watch as they want to in the comfort of their own home.

As has been proven recently a few times, folks don't want to sit for more than two hours to watch a movie in theatres. Home viewing is the place for long epic movies now.

So when does the Netflix Exclusive Christopher Nolan Directed movie show up only on Netflix? 12 months from now? 18 months?
lol exactly, probably caught wind of Ridley Scott or Scorcese or something doing a Netflix exclusive for half a billion dollars.

Interesting coincidence with one of the worst revenue years in over a decade for Hollywood theatrical releases. I'm not going to deny he has some talent, but really, what a tool!

Hello this is Netflix, your idea is green lit, when can we expect you to start filming?

I think the concept of movie theaters is "an untenable model.", they only still exist because of traditional thinking. At some point that's likely to break down.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
Sounds like Nolan is on his knees in front of Netflix. "Haha jokes. I want some of your monies too. No burning bridges. I make for you. Give me the $$ too"

Back